Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thermostat temperature
Thermostat temperature
2006-10-26, 7:22 AM #1
Alright, I live in a suite with 2 other guys, and I'm always friggin' freezing in here. I like to keep the thermostat like my parents always kept it, like I grew up, and that's about 75. Every fricking time I feel cold, I go over to it and check the temperature, and it's set at something god-awful low, under 70 degrees. And this is after we all discussed it and settled on 72-3 degrees for a compromise. What the hell kind of penguin-*** freaks are these people? What do you guys keep yours at?
Warhead[97]
2006-10-26, 7:28 AM #2
Well, I've grown accustomed to quite high temperatures, and I used to have around 25 degrees here. Now they are just making some repairs (changing valves and thermostats), and right now it's just below 23, so quite similar to your compromised (upper) one. I just have a little more clothes on compared to what I used to have with the 25 degrees. But I guess I'm getting used to this now.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-10-26, 7:28 AM #3
No idea, i wear something warm when it's cold. I don't like being cold but I also don't like being poor.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-10-26, 7:36 AM #4
I agree with the poor thing. We don't have to pay for electricity, but if we did, it probably wouldn't be that good an idea to have the air conditioner blasting 24 hours a day like it is now.
Warhead[97]
2006-10-26, 7:39 AM #5
I have an AC unit in my room. When I go to sleep I set it around 19 degrees C and I keep it around 23 during the day. I like to be cold.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-10-26, 7:39 AM #6
In the winter we keep it set at 68 degrees (~20); in the summer usually about 75 (~24). It saves a lot of energy this way rather than keeping it at the same temperature year round. Just put a sweater on.

Or install a fireplace; they're great for warming up by.
Stuff
2006-10-26, 7:49 AM #7
In our halls, we've got separate rooms with our own radiators. Unfortunately, the University set them too high for my liking (no dial to turn them down, either) and leave them on when it's really not appropriate (such as when it's sunny and warm outside). The only other option I have is to open the window and door and let a cold breeze through. Since it's a choice between too hot and just-about-bearably cold, I leave the window open and wear a sweater or something to balance it out.
2006-10-26, 7:59 AM #8
I have the exact same problem in my apartment. Not only do the other guys like it a little cooler int their rooms, but I'm on the top floor and I have one of the two rooms in the apartment with nothing but flat roof above me. The guys who like it cooler have attic over their rooms to keep the heat it. They are getting tired of hearing me complain, but I'm gonna see if we can close off their vents most of the way so that I get more of the heat.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2006-10-26, 8:13 AM #9
I am apparently a penguin person -- I like it cold, especially when I'm trying to sleep. It's really difficult to sleep when it's above 70 F. Fortunately, I have a ceiling fan installed in my bedroom now, so that makes things a little better.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-10-26, 8:21 AM #10
It's 21 or 22 in the living room / kitchen, 19 or 20 in the bedroom.
2006-10-26, 8:23 AM #11
Originally posted by kyle90:
In the winter we keep it set at 68 degrees (~20); in the summer usually about 75 (~24). It saves a lot of energy this way rather than keeping it at the same temperature year round. Just put a sweater on.

Or install a fireplace; they're great for warming up by.

Same here.
2006-10-26, 9:10 AM #12
Here's the thing. If you're cold, you can put on a sweater, or get a blanket. If you're hot, you're screwed. Me and my roommate keep it pretty low, and have the window open most the time; we both enjoy the cold, the room is probably around 10 degrees colder than the rest of the hallway.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-10-26, 9:15 AM #13
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Here's the thing. If you're cold, you can put on a sweater, or get a blanket. If you're hot, you're screwed. Me and my roommate keep it pretty low, and have the window open most the time; we both enjoy the cold, the room is probably around 10 degrees colder than the rest of the hallway.

Pay heed to the wisdom of fishstickz! He speaks truth!
2006-10-26, 9:28 AM #14
Yes, fishstickz says what I have been saying for years (and what the laws of thermodynamics have been saying for much longer): "You can always add thermal energy"
Stuff
2006-10-26, 9:46 AM #15
All I have to say is be glad to have the option.

I have no heat or ac.

It's 59 F in here right now, I have on 2 coats and a blanket accross my lap. My hands are ice though. I need to find some warm gloves that I can still type in.

during the summer it got up to about 93 in my room.

But the rent is cheap and cheap is good.
:/
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-10-26, 10:01 AM #16
<3 Penguin People!

It's ~50 in here right now, snowing outside. Probably won't turn on the heater till it gets around 40.
2006-10-26, 10:12 AM #17
Also heat can be provided by a suitably overclocked grahics card. I've used mine as a hotplate before.
Stuff
2006-10-26, 10:17 AM #18
We don't have numbers on ours, but it stays pretty close to the big 'C'
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-10-26, 10:20 AM #19
75 is pretty warm for me. It's 65 in my house right now, and I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt. If the thermostat setting is and issue, maybe find something else to heat yopur room?
Pissed Off?
2006-10-26, 10:28 AM #20
I'm on fire.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-10-26, 10:45 AM #21
I'll apply myself as a cold compress then ;)
2006-10-26, 10:47 AM #22
It's like 62 degrees in here now.
2006-10-26, 10:53 AM #23
My housemate has the thermostat in his room, and he set it to 75 or so, but it comes on sporadically, often when it's not appropriate, and at night it gets really cold. The girls upstairs say it's even worse for them. Strange there's only one thermostat in a house with two apartments. Luckily, heat is included by the landlord, because houses around here get no insulation.
:master::master::master:
2006-10-26, 10:57 AM #24
Originally posted by Martyn:
I'll apply myself as a cold compress then ;)

I'll make you melt.

O.o
2006-10-26, 11:05 AM #25
My housemates enjoy it a bit cooler than I like, so I have an electric space heater in my room. I blast it for a few minutes when I'm feeling chilly.
2006-10-26, 11:30 AM #26
68 degrees fahrenheit. Keeps the house cool, and you can use the oven in the kitchen to heat it up. Energy bills == extremely low in the winter. :)
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-10-26, 11:33 AM #27
Tear apart the thermostat to work backwards. Just jump some connections and make hot cold and cold hot. It will take them a while to realize. I've done it; It's fun. :D
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2006-10-26, 11:46 AM #28
I did that with an electric oil heater in my bathroom, because people kept messing with it.

My bathroom has an outside wall, and because my house is so hold it has no insulation. It also has an exhaust fan that vents almost directly outside, so it gets VERY cold in there in the winter time.

So I took it apart and changed the voltage switch, and the heat setting knob.

They never figured it out. :P And the electricity bill wasn't ever any much higher that they noticed.
2006-10-26, 12:06 PM #29
We're not running the heat, and I like it just fine that way. Between the two monitors, two computers, mini-fridge, DVD player, cable box, and TV in my room, I'm quite warm.

If it gets cold enough, I may put my hoodie and some slippers on.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-10-26, 12:50 PM #30
68F tends to be the standard "room temp" for schools and businesses. Perhaps your roommates aren't "penguin people" but rather, you're a "woman."

47 degrees in my room right now. I can't sleep without my window open and a fan going.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-10-26, 12:55 PM #31
I'm somewhat of a heat Nazi. There is no need for it unless it is bitter cold and you cannot add layers of clothing to warm yourself back up. If I put on the heater I rarely see a reason to put it above 70º.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-10-26, 12:58 PM #32
Originally posted by Roach:
Perhaps your roommates aren't "penguin people" but rather, you're a "woman.".

Hahaha, Roach wins. :D
2006-10-26, 1:00 PM #33
I don't understand any of you crazy people measuring in fahrenheit but I much prefer warm to cold.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-10-26, 1:08 PM #34
Maybe it was growing up in Arizona, but i think THEY'RE the women...getting hot when it's 72 degrees, cold air blowing out of the vents. Geez. Man up and turn a fan on if you're hot, haha.

Temperature is one of those things that people will never agree on but by chance.
Warhead[97]
2006-10-26, 1:11 PM #35
...have you ever had a girlfriend? Are you unfamiliar with the female ways of complaining about temperatures of anything less than 85 degrees?
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-10-26, 1:21 PM #36
Roach definatly wins again.
2006-10-26, 1:24 PM #37
...have you ever had a girlfriend? Are you unfamiliar with the female ways of complaining about temperatures of anything less than 85 degrees?

Just a clarification:

A. It's 80 degrees. If it's lower, they're freezing.
B. And an addon: If it is 81 or higher, they're sweating and burning up.
2006-10-26, 1:28 PM #38
I like my women hot and sweaty.
2006-10-26, 1:45 PM #39
i'm with geb in that i cant sleep well when its above 70.

my parents keep the thermostat at 73 or 74 in the winter. my room though, gets up to 80 if i dont have the window open and a fan going. i always end up with the hottest room in the house wherever i live (this is even before i had a computer and TV)

and now its hard even to sleep at someones house cause i'm used to the white noise of the fan.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-10-26, 2:25 PM #40

Ouch! Okay, that's true, girls complain about it being cold all the damn time, agreed. I concede that it's probably girlier to complain about cold than to complain about heat.
Warhead[97]

↑ Up to the top!