Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My Job
My Job
2004-07-04, 2:53 AM #1
Some of you may remember I got hired at Best Buy a few weeks back. We're getting ready to open the store, and I've been working now for a week.

Best week of my life. It's *so* much fun. My managers rock, they think it's important to work hard, but even more important to have fun while you're doing it. We do all kinds of crazy stuff. Fact, we're having a cookout sometime next week.

Anyway, I've tried to get myself noticed so I can advance, right? Well, three girls got offended that I was making suggestions on how to make our team (we had all broken up into 4 teams to get specific tasks done) more effective. They now call me "Supervisor" instead of my name. I laugh about it, and continue to work four times harder then they do. For example, I sort about 1000 computer games into alphabetical order, divide them into crates by genre, and move them to the shelves while they take about an hour to chat.

Anyway, yesterday, we got our shirts. The General Manager said we couldn't get them until we named everyone in the building. One of the girls accidentally called me "Supervisor" infront of the store manager and two department managers, including my own. He asked why they called me that. She said "Cuz he's always telling us what to do, and he thinks he has to do everything." (they made fun of me yesterday because I was still working after they quit 15 minutes before it was time to clock out) The store manager's response? "Someone has to show up as a leader in the group." And now he, and all the other managers, call me Supervisor.

I'm kindof excited, because he has made it clear he's going to be looking for people to promote, and my manager said I and this other guy were the hardest workers in our deptartment. She's even bending the overtime rules and letting me come in for an hour on one of my off days so I can finish a project I didn't get a chance to complete yesterday.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Yaay.

------------------
Frightening the very small and very old since 1952.
2004-07-04, 3:31 AM #2
I'm so envious of you, but im too young to get a job here in the good ole U.S.A [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

Hope you get promoted soon. And remember don't steal anything, cause that can get a jailtime [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Obviously the guy with a jedi named "Nutsac" has no desire to play his role as jedi the way they are portrayed in the books and movies
2004-07-04, 3:35 AM #3
Whoops, double post

------------------
Obviously the guy with a jedi named "Nutsac" has no desire to play his role as jedi the way they are portrayed in the books and movies

[This message has been edited by Stinkywrix (edited July 04, 2004).]
2004-07-04, 5:03 AM #4
Goody two-shoes.

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-07-04, 6:32 AM #5
MOTHER****ER

I hate you.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-04, 7:32 AM #6
Cost + 5

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-04, 7:35 AM #7
Sounds like a great deal. i want to worka t best buy, but the closest one is 40 minutes away at least. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Hope you get promoted soon so you can get all kind sof money which you will then spend at Best Buy.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-07-04, 9:52 AM #8
Good stuff

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-04, 10:19 AM #9
Hmm... well, working in Media shouldnt be too bad, but any other department and you'll just be bombarded by your managers/supervisors and anyone else there that wants to be in a leadership position telling you to sell more PSPs, PRPs, and accessories.

Best Buy is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Maybe yours will be different but I doubt it. The morning meetings (such ****, they could just make you read the info packets when you come into work instead of dragging your *** out of bed at 6am).

Like I said, they will do anything to hit their numbers, they really dont care about you or the customers, it's all about the bonus the managers get if they sell a certain number of PSPs.

The discount is nice. It used to be better before they jacked up the employee PSP price to 65%.

http://www.bestbuysux.org/

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now

[This message has been edited by Schming (edited July 04, 2004).]
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-07-04, 12:41 PM #10
Yeah, well I'm working as a Janitor at the Spokane Country Club. We have to be there at 6:00 in the morning.

Except when we have to come in early.

------------------
"Your entire base belongs to us."
"It would be highly appreciated if someone would set the bomb up for us"
"Launch all of our ships, christened 'Zigs', to insure that justice will be achieved swiftly and powerfully."
"Launch all of our ships, christened 'Zigs', to insure that justice will be achieved swiftly and powerfully."
2004-07-04, 4:46 PM #11
I could never work at a job like Best Buy that pays commission. I'd never sell anything, simply because I couldn't lie to the customer and tell him that the PC they wanted to buy was good, instead of crappy POS that should be melted down for silicon.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-07-04, 4:52 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Janitor Bob:
Yeah, well I'm working as a Janitor at the Spokane Country Club. We have to be there at 6:00 in the morning.

Except when we have to come in early.

</font>

Whoa, you're actually a janitor?

Whoa.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-04, 4:53 PM #13
We don't work commission. Best Buy was the first company to get off of that, if my Econ class serves me right...

Our store doesn't open until 10, so morning meetings are at 9:30, 9 at the earliest.

As far as not caring about us or the customers, you'd have to know the managers I've got. They don't want people to not enjoy working for our store. They are trying as hard as they can to make it all fun and keep the atmosphere light. I'm telling you, you'd have to know these five guys.
[edit]It may just be your location. I had a friend who started working for Best Buy a few years ago. He was a cashier. He loved it. Fast foward to the present. In about 5 years, he grand opened his own store. Still loving it.

It's just a matter of being competitive. Everyone that was hired at our store (save about 3 girls) are very competitive. They won't mind selling the PSPs and PRPs and promos and whatnot, because they'll want to be the best. We're actually posting everyone's individual sales in the Hub, so we can taunt each other. People are already having fun with it, before the store opens.

::shrug:: I'm not worried.

[This message has been edited by Charoziak (edited July 04, 2004).]
2004-07-04, 5:46 PM #14
Ironic, huh, Tracer. Well, you know the old saying: You are what you write.

The Last True Evil is currently in training for the Russian Intelligence Service, which is why he hasn't written in a while.

And don't even ask about Krig.

------------------
2004-07-04, 5:53 PM #15
Go you. I just stopped going that extra mile now at these blue collar jobs. When I worked at Toys "R" Us, I was always going the extra mile, and they wouldn't let me transfer to a sales asociate position.

At my current job, I use to pull off 40 hours a week, 2 days I'd work 12 hours each day (well more like 13 or 14), and would close the place down 3 nights a week. I never got employee of the month and no manager ever once said "Good job" or "Thanks for always being here", etc. So I just said screw it, wait until I get a real job.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-07-04, 6:03 PM #16
Congrats....just dont burn yourself out.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-04, 6:45 PM #17
I don't mind the Best Buy in our town, though I usually know more than the associates that I talk to. I tell them I'm looking for a gender changer from 6-pin firewire to 4-pin firewire, and they give me a blank stare. I know they exist, because I've found one on TigerDirect.

Anyway, I work for our city. I'm a manager at one of the pools. The lifeguards get to be really goofy sometimes, and the patrons are usually very annoying and very stupid, causing me to believe humanity is lost; but I did get 40 hours of overtimes last pay period, so I get a bigger check than my supervisor. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] Unfortunately, it involved coming in to guard for early birds (read: 5-7 a.m.) for a week and a half. But hey, a thousand bucks is a thousand bucks.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-07-04, 6:45 PM #18
Instead of being like a normal massassian and say something like "over-acheiver" because the other don't have any life. Im going to hope you the best and say that im glad you, unlike so many other americans today, are working hard and doing a good job. Keep up the good work!

------------------
Chaz Ghostle you have the best taste in music. I can't tell how many times I listened to that song on your site.
My Personal Site | Remnant Temple Part A | A work in progress
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-07-04, 8:01 PM #19
Here is what you might encounter:

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2004-02-23

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-07-04, 8:07 PM #20
A buddy of mine works at a Staples. He had someone come up to him at work the other day and asked him if he knew why his X-Box couldn't read CD-RW discs. My buddy tells him to use normal CD-Rs. The guy has one of those CD-Stomper labeling kits in his hand, and asks my buddy, "Well if I use a label to cover the 'CD-RW' written on the top of the CD, will the X-Box be able to read it?"

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-07-05, 5:02 PM #21
lol awesome!

------------------
Why Did the Chicken Cross The Road?

>>The Bible's Answer:
And God came down from the heavens, and He said unto the chicken, "Thou shalt cross the road." And the chicken crossed the road, and there was much rejoicing.
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2004-07-05, 5:06 PM #22
It'd be cool to work at radio shack too, what with being surrounded by all these little toys and gadgets [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-05, 8:11 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaD CoW:
A buddy of mine works at a Staples. He had someone come up to him at work the other day and asked him if he knew why his X-Box couldn't read CD-RW discs. My buddy tells him to use normal CD-Rs. The guy has one of those CD-Stomper labeling kits in his hand, and asks my buddy, "Well if I use a label to cover the 'CD-RW' written on the top of the CD, will the X-Box be able to read it?"

</font>

Now that is a particular level of stupidity...

------------------
You have to look at the big picture. We (as a country) spend more tax money dealing with MS blunders than we do on the software itself. And guess who MS's largest customer is? You guessed it, the government! - Brian
My Personal Site | Remnant Temple Part A | A work in progress
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-07-05, 9:25 PM #24
Damn you... I want to work at Best Buy very badly [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-07-06, 3:46 AM #25
me too

------------------
"Whats your name"
Cody
"No, whats your real name"
Arkon............
Proud member of the Co-op
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-07-06, 5:28 AM #26
I'd wanna work at Best Buy/Circuit City/CompUSA just for the discounts. That combined with my summer job, I could have the ultimate computer 24/7.

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-07-06, 6:20 AM #27
Supervisor

yah, dont think anyone down here will call you that [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

first Best Buy, then the world. i knew it.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.

↑ Up to the top!