Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A problem in firefox (hey there's a first time for everything)
A problem in firefox (hey there's a first time for everything)
2006-10-29, 2:06 PM #1
I used to be able to type a keyword, for example: "dictionary" in the address bar, and it would take me to http://dictionary.reference.com/ However, now when I type it in, it takes me to Google, at the search page, and I see this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dictionary&btnG=Google+Search

Can anyone explain to me how to fix it?
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-10-29, 2:15 PM #2
When you type something in the address bar that isn't a URL, Firefox's default behavior is to do a Google "I'm feeling lucky" search. This just automatically takes you to the first search result, in this case, the dictionary.reference.com website. It sounds like you've somehow changed this setting.
2006-10-29, 2:17 PM #3
is it really that hard to use the included search bar thats up there?
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-10-29, 2:51 PM #4
Under Manage Bookmarks, select a link, right click, and then go to Properties.
Attachment: 14434/kw.JPG (20,332 bytes)
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2006-10-29, 2:53 PM #5
Actually, I guess that's different than what you're talking about, because I can type dictionary in the address bar and it goes to the dictionary website. Still, what I described above will do the same thing, you just have to make a link for the site first.
2006-10-29, 2:58 PM #6
I didn't have to do that originally though, I need to get what Algar is talking about to work again.
Author of the JK levels:

2006-10-29, 3:05 PM #7
What version are you using?
2006-10-29, 3:09 PM #8
Author of the JK levels:

2006-10-29, 3:09 PM #9
why dont you just add dictionary search to the search bar? then you can just type the word you're searching for into the search bar.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-10-29, 3:11 PM #10
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
why dont you just add dictionary search to the search bar? then you can just type the word you're searching for into the search bar.

He probably wants it for the "I'm feeling lucky" feature. It's useful when you know something will be the first search result (ie. if I want to go to Apple's website, I can just type Apple instead of the full URL).
2006-10-29, 3:12 PM #11
Because dictionary is not the only site I want to do that, it was just an example. I was saying that I liked that feature. I would like it to work again, so if you know how let me know.
Author of the JK levels:

2006-10-29, 3:16 PM #12
Type about:config into your address bar. Find the option keyword.URL. Change the value to
Code:
http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=

I set up mine to do a default Google Search instead of I'm Feeling Lucky but to each his own.
2006-10-29, 3:18 PM #13
Originally posted by tofu:
Type about:config into your address bar. Find the option keyword.URL. Change the value to http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=

I set up mine to do a default Google Search instead of I'm Feeling Lucky but to each his own.

I was just going to post that, found out about it here:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#beh_search
2006-10-29, 3:25 PM #14
yay! thank you :)
Author of the JK levels:

2006-10-29, 3:33 PM #15
While we're on the topic of changing Firefox settings, does anyone know if there is a setting or even plug in that will not allow the resizing of the browser window when you visit certain webpages?
2006-10-29, 3:43 PM #16
Content options - Allow scripts to:

Move or resize existing windows

Uncheck this option to disable moving and resizing windows using scripts.
2006-10-29, 3:51 PM #17
Are there other ways for web pages to resize windows without using scripts or that pretty much it?
2006-10-29, 5:12 PM #18
Only scripts. I'm pretty sure Java and Flash are limited to only affecting their own little worlds in their boxes (although both can open and manipulate NEW windows).

2 posts to 0x1000!

2006-10-29, 5:40 PM #19
Supposedly Firefox 2 has the ability to generate new windows only when the new window has set sizes (for a requested popup), and the rest of the time it only opens new tabs. Not quite sure how well that works.

↑ Up to the top!