Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Linux questions.
Linux questions.
2006-10-29, 4:52 PM #1
Will Jedi knight or its expansion pack Mysteries of the Sith run on Linux? Is there a way to set up a dedicated server on a linux machine?
Trust me with your life but not your money or your wife.
2006-10-29, 4:57 PM #2
Yes, but why do you want to do this?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-10-29, 5:02 PM #3
Me and some friends of mine LOVE Jedi Knight and MOTS and we would like to set up a dedicated server for LAN nights at our College.
2006-10-29, 5:04 PM #4
Make sure you have wine installed and then switch to JK's directory and try:

wine jk.exe

If you don't have a cd crack installed you should run the wine configuration tool (forget what it's called) and set up your CD drive as a drive letter.

If wine doesn't run it well you can try Cedega. Although I haven't had luck building it from source (the only free way to get it), because it requires a .SO that it didn't build plus it overwrites wine when I make install it. :mad:

4 posts until 0x1000!

2006-10-29, 5:06 PM #5
Where do I get wine and is there any other way to do it?
2006-10-29, 5:08 PM #6
apt-get install wine

or

yum install wine

or search for the package called "wine" in whatever GUI based package manager you use.

However I found Ubuntu's wine package is severely out of date. You'll want to build it from source (downloadable at [url]www.winehq.com[/url] ) to get the very latest version, if you're comfortable with building from source under linux. Otherwise it's probably best to stick to packages.

2 posts until 0x1000!

2006-10-29, 5:09 PM #7
I have a linux question too. Wine is a windows emulator for linux, right? And cygwin is a linex emulator for windows?

What happens if you try to run one inside of the other? Does the whole universe explode, or just your computer?
Stuff
2006-10-29, 5:11 PM #8
Wine is not an emulator.

o.0
2006-10-29, 5:12 PM #9
Oh damn. Well there go my plans for a doomsday device.
Stuff
2006-10-29, 5:12 PM #10
Do I have to install JK with wine running?
2006-10-29, 5:15 PM #11
Originally posted by Greenboy:
Wine is not an emulator.

You mean Wine Is Not an Emulator. :)

Cygwin isn't a Linux emulator for Windows. It's merely Windows-compiled versions of common Linux programs (mostly command line tools).

1 post until 0x1000!

2006-10-29, 5:32 PM #12
Originally posted by pectabyte:
Do I have to install JK with wine running?

Wine is used to run any program. Unless you have JK already installed somewhere (via windows) you'll need to run the installer in Wine also.

JK can be finiky in linux also, so don't expect good results immediately.

And as for a "dedicated" server, this is a limitation of JK, not linux, but JK doesn't really have any sort of thing. The server always has a player ingame, so you'll just have to deal with that :p
2006-10-30, 10:06 AM #13
I run Linux Fadora an have never heard of Wine. Also isnt there a spectator mod for JK?
2006-10-30, 10:15 AM #14
http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=darkforces2
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2006-10-30, 1:33 PM #15
thanks man. Great link but does anyone know of a spectator mod? I could have sworn i've seen one somewhere.
2006-10-30, 9:43 PM #16
You should try JK Arena, http://www.massassi.net/jkarena/
2006-10-30, 10:39 PM #17
Thats awsome. But do you know if there is a spectator mod for DM or CTF multiplayer game play?
2006-10-31, 11:26 AM #18
Originally posted by kyle90:
What happens if you try to run one inside of the other? Does the whole universe explode, or just your computer?

http://www.winehq.org/site/fun_projects

Check out "Virtualization Projects."
They are actually attempting this.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?

↑ Up to the top!