Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Fizziks fun with Friend14
Fizziks fun with Friend14
2006-10-31, 10:10 PM #161
This **** makes my head hurt.
2006-10-31, 10:31 PM #162
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Destroying fact with false replacement is more insulting to a scientist than any insult that can be dredged up in religion and politics, because fact is FACT.[/QUOTE]
Quite true.

But on the counter, one (just as we all have been doing) can just say that said person destroying facts with asinine "proofs" is a complete and total :downs: dumbass, all with relatively little effort.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-10-31, 10:33 PM #163
Oh that **** about rounding is priceless! You ever walk over an kick a building? That's your thrid decimal place of a kilonewton (approx). Does it fall over? :downs:

Physics in action! Huzzah!

A real engineer in this field deals with numbers so large that you work in significant figures rather than decimal places half the time. If my forces are in the the order of 100's of kilonewtons, nobody needs to know what the 5th dp is you spanner.

Take your fingers out of your ears and go back to school.
2006-10-31, 10:48 PM #164
Cheers to Martyn (and to everyone else defending Physics).
Attachment: 14475/toast.jpg (67,313 bytes)
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-10-31, 10:52 PM #165
You should just go cueball dude.
2006-10-31, 10:54 PM #166
I should what?

Also. Without proper physics. Stone beer would never taste good.
Attachment: 14476/beer_physics.jpg (148,207 bytes)
2006-10-31, 11:05 PM #167
I love how that guy bases his entire physics theory on the fact that a random brush-cleaning looks like a demon. WTF!
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-10-31, 11:07 PM #168
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
I should what?

Also. Without proper physics. Stone beer would never taste good.

Shave it all off.

You'd make a great bald scientist.
2006-10-31, 11:15 PM #169
I'm going to go to work and apply real physics to real things and not kill people with p=mv crap.

You lose, good day sir.

(also yay for physics beer!)
2006-10-31, 11:18 PM #170

Uhh....huh.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-11-01, 3:33 AM #171
You know, if it were to be revealed that Friend14 is making this all up to piss us off, I would think he's the smartest person on the board.

You'd need to be some kind of genius to make this crap up.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-11-01, 3:59 AM #172
Wow, that takes forever to read. Maybe I lost track of it somewhere but does Capt Bevvil at least understand that "Work done = force x distance" and that it's measured in joules (ie kg m[sup]2[/sup] s[sup]-2[/sup]) and that kinetic energy is another expression of work?

Because if so it takes a fairly simple piece of integration to show that E[sub]k[/sub]=½mv².

If E[sub]k[/sub] can be expressed in terms of work done we have:
E[sub]k[/sub] = F.x (x= distance)
And since F = m.a
E[sub]k[/sub] = m.a.x

a = dv/dt = (dx/dt). (dv/dx)
since dx/dt = v
we have a = v. (dv/dx)

So now the overall equation is
E[sub]k[/sub] = m.x.v. (dv/dx)
Therefore:E[sub]k[/sub].dx = m.x.v.dv

Integrating both sides we come to:

E[sub]k[/sub].x = ½m.x.v[sup]2[/sup] + c

Since we know that a stationary object has no kinetic energy we find that the constant "c" has a value of 0

Simplifying all that we end up with

E[sub]k[/sub]=½mv².

I've probably wasted my time because CaptBevvil probably has a different definition of energy to the rest of the world that is measured in units of kg m s[sup]-1[/sup].

Also, all the talk of the difference between the "classical" idea of E[sub]k[/sub]=½mv² and your E[sub]k[/sub]=mv being minimal and therefore unnoticed in engineering applications is a load of twaddle.
The difference between the two increases exponentially!
As an example, lets take a bullet fired in such a way that 200J of energy are imparted upon it towards its forward motion. We ignore air resistance etc. Assuming its weight is 3 grams, using the standard method we find the bullet velocity to be approx 365 m/s, using magical Bevvil fizziks we have a bullet travelling at approx 66.6 km/s!
2006-11-01, 4:17 AM #173
Lets also not forget that a great deal of manufacture and construction relies on the finite element method, which in turn is based on energy methods (such as the rayleigh-ritz method). If we redefine basic energy principles, we negate a method which accurately represents real materials under stress and strain which has been proved both mathematically and practically.
2006-11-01, 7:57 AM #174
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
You know, if it were to be revealed that Friend14 is making this all up to piss us off, I would think he's the smartest person on the board.

I'm wondering this myself.
2006-11-01, 8:08 AM #175
it has been far too long my friend
[http://www.boomspeed.com/landfish/09.gif]
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-11-01, 10:30 AM #176
Originally posted by 7:
it has been far too long my friend
[http://www.boomspeed.com/landfish/09.gif]

<3
2006-11-01, 12:21 PM #177

Not really. People like Friend14 are like conspiracy theorists. They make **** up to bring meaning to their useless lives.
2006-11-01, 12:22 PM #178
Yes, lobster dance!

[http://www.boomspeed.com/landfish/09.gif] [http://www.boomspeed.com/landfish/09.gif] [http://www.boomspeed.com/landfish/09.gif] [http://www.boomspeed.com/landfish/09.gif]

Tyra Banks too, but I'm too lazy to find that pic.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-01, 1:00 PM #179
Pfft your lobster fails.
[http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/759737/2/istockphoto_759737_worlds_largest_maze.jpg]
2006-11-01, 1:40 PM #180
Um, Jon'C.... if you don't mind me asking, where did you go to school and where do you work?

Cause you seem like you know... umm.... alot of things.

Of course this could be because I am a BFA seeking film student and we don't have math or science at this school.
>>untie shoes
2006-11-01, 1:44 PM #181
He's probably unemployed and lives in is mom's basement.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-01, 2:56 PM #182
Originally posted by Detty:
Guys, I was just driving home and the speed limit was 30. But I remembered what Friend14 had been saying and I reckoned that the safe speed limit was probably calculated using broken physics so I figured it was probably safe to drive at 450 instead.

THIS IS NOT THE KIND OF ERROR THAT IS LOST IN ROUNDING.

I almost fell out of my seat when I got to this post... :D
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2006-11-01, 6:43 PM #183
I've learnt plenty of stuff in my high school level physics class. But since I'm Belgian I've been taught a mildly different terminology. XD But I can keep up with what's being explanation. Especially acceleration and Force are basic things. (And should therefore be relative easy to grasp for people, including our friend. >.>;; )
Seishun da!
2006-11-01, 7:20 PM #184
I have a minor in physics. This thread makes me cry.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2006-11-01, 7:41 PM #185
I dropped a pencil sharpener, a full pot of coffee, and a feather out of a window at the same time once....The airplane hit the ground first.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-01, 7:52 PM #186
Anyone else notice that he stopped posting after his own sources were used against him? :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-11-01, 7:53 PM #187
hes just in shock we're so stupid.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-11-01, 9:52 PM #188
Originally posted by Emon:
Not really. People like Friend14 are like conspiracy theorists. They make **** up to bring meaning to their useless lives.
No, see you'd have to be smart to make all of it fit together just barely, yet still be total crap. It's a careful balance of having enough flaws to keep people confused, but not so many as to make it completely laughable. Coming up with flawed reasoning that seems reasonable if you have several key misunderstandings is actually very difficult.
Ban Jin!
2006-11-01, 10:08 PM #189
[http://www.cs.rit.edu/~cmd2803/walrus.jpg][http://www.cs.rit.edu/~cmd2803/walrus.jpg][http://www.cs.rit.edu/~cmd2803/walrus.jpg][http://www.cs.rit.edu/~cmd2803/walrus.jpg][http://www.cs.rit.edu/~cmd2803/walrus.jpg][http://www.cs.rit.edu/~cmd2803/walrus.jpg]
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-11-01, 11:02 PM #190
No, see you'd have to be smart to make all of it fit together just barely, yet still be total crap.
None of it fits together at all. But you're right, it is total crap.

Quote:
It's a careful balance of having enough flaws to keep people confused, but not so many as to make it completely laughable.
It is entirely 100% flawed and it is completely laughable.

Quote:
Coming up with flawed reasoning that seems reasonable if you have several key misunderstandings is actually very difficult.
The only reason any of this information should seem reasonable is if you never took high school physics.

If someone wanted to sabotage your understanding of a subject they would most certainly choose a better subject than physics. Either you already understand E[sub]k[/sub] = (1/2)mv[sup]2[/sup] or you would never have an occasion to embarass yourself anyway. Even if Friend14 is intentionally retarded, he is still retarded.
2006-11-02, 12:28 AM #191
Originally posted by Freelancer:
He's probably unemployed and lives in is mom's basement.

Last I heard, he's saving up money to go to college.
2006-11-02, 2:49 AM #192
Jon`C, if I came in here and started spouting something like TimeCube, I would simply be dismissed as a troll. Everyone is all riled up about Friend14 because he's got some reasoning (however horrible). Coming up with the kind of reasoning is completely wrong but can get everyone mad anyway takes skill and knowledge of how it actually works.

Why are you arguing with me anyway? Do you miss Friend14?
Ban Jin!
2006-11-02, 3:57 AM #193
Jon`C, if I came in here and started spouting something like TimeCube, I would simply be dismissed as a troll. Everyone is all riled up about Friend14 because he's got some reasoning (however horrible). Coming up with the kind of reasoning is completely wrong but can get everyone mad anyway takes skill and knowledge of how it actually works.
No, everybody is riled up about Friend14 because he claims to have a degree in physics. Besides, I've heard a great deal of people ripping into the TimeCube guy.

Quote:
Why are you arguing with me anyway? Do you miss Friend14?
I'm not arguing with you. I'm simply stating that, no, there is nothing valid about what Friend14 is saying.
2006-11-02, 4:50 AM #194
And you don't think it would take any skill to make up something as crazy and infuriating as this?
Ban Jin!
2006-11-02, 4:59 AM #195
That or a real brain dysfunction. I vote the latter.
2006-11-02, 5:01 AM #196
Me too. I was just saying.
Ban Jin!
2006-11-02, 6:36 AM #197
I agree with Martyn.

No, it doesn't take any real skill. All it takes is a mental illness and too much free time.
2006-11-02, 8:59 AM #198
Now now, Einstein allegedly had Asperger's Syndrome, so having a mental illness can help you become a genius like person.
Seishun da!
2006-11-02, 9:05 AM #199
Friend14's absence has caused a vacuum of bickering!
Ban Jin!
2006-11-02, 9:14 AM #200
Oh yeah? Well you're a stupidface.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor

↑ Up to the top!