Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → US troops respond to Kerry's comments...
US troops respond to Kerry's comments...
2006-11-01, 8:31 PM #1
http://img238.imageshack.us/my.php?image=helpphoto2ye7as1.jpg

:psyduck:
woot!
2006-11-01, 8:41 PM #2
Oh god their faces, they have 7 days to live
Stuff
2006-11-01, 8:42 PM #3
lolerskates :v:
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-11-01, 8:45 PM #4
Haha, awesome. :)
2006-11-01, 8:49 PM #5
Originally posted by kyle90:
Oh god their faces, they have 7 days to live

I love you.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-11-01, 9:07 PM #6
Wasn't Kerry talking about Bush specifically and not, in fact, all troops?
2006-11-01, 9:08 PM #7
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']Wasn't Kerry talking about Bush specifically and not, in fact, all troops?

Oh, probably..but shaddap, we don't want politics in here! :v:
woot!
2006-11-01, 9:09 PM #8
I'm just bitter cause I can't load the picture :(
2006-11-01, 9:09 PM #9
Haha, awesome.
Warhead[97]
2006-11-01, 9:12 PM #10
']Wasn't Kerry talking about Bush specifically and not, in fact, all troops?

He said something along the lines of "If you don't de well in school, you'll flunk out and end up in Iraq", but apparently he meant to say something along the lines of "you'll start a war, like in Iraq' as a stab at Bush.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-01, 9:14 PM #11
BS, he just said something stupid and had to backpedal.
Warhead[97]
2006-11-01, 9:15 PM #12
Originally posted by Avenger:
He said something along the lines of "If you don't de well in school, you'll flunk out and end up in Iraq", but apparently he meant to say something along the lines of "you'll start a war, like in Iraq' as a stab at Bush.

Aaah.

What an inconvenient mistake :o
2006-11-01, 9:18 PM #13
']Aaah.

What an inconvenient mistake :o

Classic 'oops' moment..calls for a :psyduck:!
woot!
2006-11-01, 9:46 PM #14
Of course he meant to insult Bush, and once you think about it that makes sense, but everyone's first reaction is he insulted the troops and the White House is just encouraging this.

What a ****ing circus.
2006-11-01, 10:09 PM #15
If he was taking a jab at bush's education, it should be noted that he went to Harvard [edit - and Yale]...so that's stupid. If he was taking a jab at bush's intelligence, then it made no sense. And if he meant to take a jab at bush's education regarding iraq and his lack of preparation resulting in a quagmire that leaves the troops stuck in iraq, then he left out SO MUCH OF THE INFORMATION necessary for it to make sense that it really doesn't matter what he meant to say at all. This is coming from a guy who hates G.W.
Warhead[97]
2006-11-01, 10:23 PM #16
Originally posted by tofu:
Of course he meant to insult Bush, and once you think about it that makes sense, but everyone's first reaction is he insulted the troops and the White House is just encouraging this.

Your mom is as fat as a whale.

Oops.

I meant to say that Oprah's gained weight. :v:
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-11-01, 10:32 PM #17
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
If he was taking a jab at bush's education, it should be noted that he went to Harvard...so that's stupid. If he was taking a jab at bush's intelligence, then it made no sense. And if he meant to take a jab at bush's education regarding iraq and his lack of preparation resulting in a quagmire that leaves the troops stuck in iraq, then he left out SO MUCH OF THE INFORMATION necessary for it to make sense that it really doesn't matter what he meant to say at all. This is coming from a guy who hates G.W.

Didn't he go to Yale?
[edit]Looks like he went to both. Got his BA at Yale and MBA at Harvard.
2006-11-01, 11:22 PM #18
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Your mom is as fat as a whale.

Oops.

I meant to say that Oprah's gained weight. :v:

This is not applicable at all. :v:
2006-11-01, 11:25 PM #19
Christ. Everyone's bickering about this stupid-*** **** while real issues get ignored. The clock's ticking---and this is what people decide to fill the political atmosphere with. **** Democrats and Republicans and the media.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-01, 11:28 PM #20
If he was taking a jab at bush's education, it should be noted that he went to Harvard [edit - and Yale]...so that's stupid. If he was taking a jab at bush's intelligence, then it made no sense. And if he meant to take a jab at bush's education regarding iraq and his lack of preparation resulting in a quagmire that leaves the troops stuck in iraq, then he left out SO MUCH OF THE INFORMATION necessary for it to make sense that it really doesn't matter what he meant to say at all. This is coming from a guy who hates G.W.

Yeah, this is what I thought when I heard his explanation of the joke. In my opinion, he deserves all the flak he's getting just for failing so utterly at humor.

Originally posted by Freelancer:
Christ. Everyone's bickering about this stupid-*** **** while real issues get ignored. The clock's ticking---and this is what people decide to fill the political atmosphere with. **** Democrats and Republicans and the media.

Also true. Between this and the magical Fence Without Funding, it's practically raining bull**** in Washington.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-11-01, 11:31 PM #21
Damn you Americans are nuts.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-01, 11:32 PM #22
tfti
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-02, 3:34 AM #23
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Damn you Americans are nuts.
We're just giving a warning of what you'll be like in 60 years.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-11-02, 4:09 AM #24
BS, he just said something stupid and had to backpedal.
He said the remark toward the end of his speech. While it isn't any less asinine, the bulk of Kerry's speech was about railing away on Bush for being stupid. Kerry apologized and explained what happened, but the Republicans are still making it an issue. Know why? Because they're giant, middle-aged, slobbering infants.

Ironically, Bush got a higher SAT score than Kerry did.

The only reason it's a problem is because a reporter quoted it out of context deliberately to get a rise out of people.
That, and because most people know it's true one way or the other. We don't want to disrespect the soldiers who are risking their lives every day, but if they won the lottery would they have still signed up? How about if they had been able to get student loans or if they'd done a little better in high school?
There are plenty of well-educated and intelligent people in the military, yeah: we call them officers. The fact that nobody is acknowledging the truth here is delightfully Orwellian.

Between the remark, the aftermath, and the fact that SUV sales figures have spiked in the US since gas prices (temporarily!) dropped, I'm convinced that the United States is a nation ruled by children. Spend money, Bush! Spend! There's more where that came from! :downs:
2006-11-02, 4:18 AM #25
Politics as usual. Kerry, while a fool, made a somewhat accurate statement and anyone who disagrees is being disingenuous. In the end, none of them are worth voting for. They have more similarities than differences and the only candidates that will bring about the changes that are needed won't even get 5% of the vote any time soon.
2006-11-02, 4:24 AM #26
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I'm convinced that the United States is a nation ruled by children.

And idiots, can't forget the idiots.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-11-02, 4:45 AM #27
Originally posted by MentatMM:
Politics as usual. Kerry, while a fool, made a somewhat accurate statement and anyone who disagrees is being disingenuous. In the end, none of them are worth voting for. They have more similarities than differences and the only candidates that will bring about the changes that are needed won't even get 5% of the vote any time soon.

Somewhat accurate statement? So you're saying that stupid people join the military and go to Iraq, then?

Can't help but wonder how that would go over with my military friends..
woot!
2006-11-02, 4:57 AM #28
but the Republicans are still making it an issue. Know why? Because they're giant, middle-aged, slobbering infants.

Plenty of Republicans get picked on by democrats, you have to look at it from both sides.. dont forget this is politics.

but if they won the lottery would they have still signed up? How about if they had been able to get student loans or if they'd done a little better in high school?

Thats like asking, if you won the lottery would you go to work tomorrow? These people volenteer what they do, it's not the only way out. Because believe it or not there are still people out there that have faith in this country.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-11-02, 5:16 AM #29
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
believe it or not there are still people out there that have faith in this country.

Perhaps, yes, but it's a well known fact that the military are always actively recruiting unemployed and generally futureless kids.

Inconvenient truths are truths nonetheless. I Have to agree with Jon'C here.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-11-02, 5:53 AM #30
John Kerry? Old news.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-02, 5:59 AM #31
Originally posted by JLee:
Somewhat accurate statement? So you're saying that stupid people join the military and go to Iraq, then?

Can't help but wonder how that would go over with my military friends..

Someone's been bitten by the GOP propaganda bug!
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-11-02, 6:27 AM #32
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
Plenty of Republicans get picked on by democrats, you have to look at it from both sides.. dont forget this is politics.
Yes. In fact, as I mentioned, John Kerry was in the process of picking on Bush when he made that comment.

Quote:
Thats like asking, if you won the lottery would you go to work tomorrow? These people volenteer what they do, it's not the only way out. Because believe it or not there are still people out there that have faith in this country.
No, it's not like asking "if you won the lottery would you go to work tomorrow? These pe".

People who have college degrees get cushy jobs in the military. Computer technicians, officers (of various sorts). People who have a real, genuine aptitude for the military end up becoming special forces. I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about the grunts. I'm talking about the uneducated and immigrants. The Army would not advertise paid college tuition, paid room and board and a fast track to citizenship if their target demographic already had these things.

And while the military may not be the only way out of a tough situation, armed forces recruiters are ordered to make it sound like it's the easiest.
2006-11-02, 6:38 AM #33
It was obviously a botched jab at Bush. Why would any politician outright and intentionally insult the military? Answer: They wouldn’t.

Yes, the joke was pretty lame and could easily be misconstrued.

I don't mean to change the topic, but we should all be familar with slips of tongues in politics by now...
Originally posted by Dubya:
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.

Oh no! Bush is thinking up new ways to harm the troops! :P

I don't know; maybe all of this is a good thing. If this is the best issue Republicans have to work with to divert attention from their scandals and policies, then maybe the Democrats have good chance capturing control of the Congress.
2006-11-02, 6:42 AM #34
that picture wins

IMO the joke was supposed to be about Bush, but Kerry messed it up and got stuck in a stupid political media frenzy. Too bad we don't get into such frenzies are real issues and achievement of results.
2006-11-02, 6:43 AM #35
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
Too bad we don't get into such frenzies are real issues and achievement of results.
People would if Fox, CNN and MSNBC weren't irresponsible and worthless.
2006-11-02, 7:01 AM #36
People who have college degrees get cushy jobs in the military. Computer technicians, officers (of various sorts). People who have a real, genuine aptitude for the military end up becoming special forces. I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about the grunts. I'm talking about the uneducated and immigrants. The Army would not advertise paid college tuition, paid room and board and a fast track to citizenship if their target demographic already had these things.

Sources?
2006-11-02, 9:39 AM #37
[QUOTE=IRG SithLord]Sources?[/QUOTE]
:psyduck:
2006-11-02, 9:55 AM #38
People would if Fox, CNN and MSNBC weren't irresponsible and worthless.
I think you overestimate the general population's interest in said issues. If cable news channels weren't taking advantage of our genuine disinterest in real issues, someone else would be.
2006-11-02, 11:02 AM #39
Why do you people all assume doing well in school implies intelligence?
Aquapark - Untitled JK Arena Level - Prism CTF
2006-11-02, 11:04 AM #40
Its generality, does not imply there are many exceptions to the rule.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod

↑ Up to the top!