Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I downloaded older video drivers and now my PC won't start...
I downloaded older video drivers and now my PC won't start...
2004-07-06, 2:10 PM #1
...any suggestions? Now when Windows goes to boot up the PC restarts itself. How can I fix the computer if I can't start it up!

(Posting from another PC)

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 06, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-06, 2:27 PM #2
reformat and start again?

p.s.

OWNED

------------------
Those silly bullets have minds of their own!
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)--@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-07-06, 2:28 PM #3
Reformatting is NOT an option. There has to be a way to fix it. No way video drivers can *bleep* me over that much.

p.s.

DIE IN A FIRE.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 06, 2004).]
2004-07-06, 2:32 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
...any suggestions? Now when Windows goes to boot up the PC restarts itself. How can I fix the computer if I can't start it up!

(Posting from another PC)

</font>

Choose boot from last known config, or in safe mode, change drivers to the newest, go crazy.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 2:35 PM #5
Didn't work [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
2004-07-06, 2:35 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Reformatting is NOT an option. There has to be a way to fix it. No way video drivers can *bleep* me over that much.

p.s.

DIE IN A FIRE.

</font>

dude, you can't even load up, how are you going to do anything. you will be lucky if that computer can still be used.

------------------
Those silly bullets have minds of their own!
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)--@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-07-06, 3:10 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
dude, you can't even load up, how are you going to do anything. you will be lucky if that computer can still be used.

</font>

You, sir, are an idiot.

SAJN--you tried Safe Mode? I would say try using a bootdisk then replacing the drivers, but to be honest, I don't know how you would. Ask CM, GBK, or someone with more knowledge and they'll probably know.

Oh, and do you have onboard video? Then in the BIOS you could switch it to onboard, use that to boot up, change drivers, etc etc. Or you could steal a videocard from somewhere.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited July 06, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 3:15 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:

</font>

...if you don't know much about computers it's generally not a good idea to try to give advice.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-06, 3:15 PM #9
why would you downgrade your drivers in the first place?

and yeah, see if you have onboard display or something like that.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-06, 3:51 PM #10
Boot up in safe mode and use the revert to old drivers option.

Or boot in safe mode and reinstall the latest drivers.
2004-07-06, 3:56 PM #11
Warning- Onboard Video's Resolution will BURN YOUR EYES

I've had this kinda problem when installing my new video card, after I put in the drivers for it. My dad was able to boot up the comp in the ways said above, and using the BIOS a lot. Eventually we got it working, but I have no idea how.

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-06, 4:00 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
why would you downgrade your drivers in the first place?

</font>

Sometimes new drivers (as outrageous as it may seem) apparently aren't backwards compatible... or, at least, not very well. I know a while ago I decided to play SWG after not playing for about a month, and it ran horridly... I posted on the forums and discovered it was a pretty common problem with the latest NVidia drivers... I downgraded, and then it worked fine. :\

If worst comes to worst, SAJN, and you can't just boot up in safe mode or something (which I'm not sure why that wouldn't work, unless something in the hardware actually got fried) maybe you could try sticking your harddrive in another computer as a slave and see what you can do from there? Or just get what you need to keep off it and reformat.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?

↑ Up to the top!