Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → This is why you go to class
This is why you go to class
2006-11-03, 2:50 PM #1
God, I just got bit hard in the ***. There is a college class I take where the professor does nothing during class but lecture straight from the book or the powerpoint presentation he e-mails us on our school e-mail. I got really tired of going to classes where I wasn't getting jack out of it. So, I have gone to a few of his classes, but I mainly just showed up for the test review and the test. I had the syllabus so I knew when the tests were.

Well, according his revised syllabus, the second test was supposed to be next wednesday. Well, because I wasn't going to class I evidently missed some very important information. The test was THIS wednesday. Whee, 100 points down the drain. We have three tests all semester, and I did alright on the first test, so I think the only way I can keep from getting an outright F is by aceing the last one. God this sucks. I can't complain too much though. I took the gamble and lost.

So remember, no matter how stupid and unnecessary it seems to go to a class, go anyway just in case there are schedule changes. Here's to hopefully getting a D.

Crap.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-11-03, 3:05 PM #2
Can you still possibly withdrawal from the class?
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-11-03, 3:14 PM #3
If he revised the schedule, he should let you take some sort of makeup test.
2006-11-03, 3:16 PM #4
Nope. That ended last friday.

On a good note though, it seems I did better on the first test than I thought. With the curve, I scored 94. That'll make it easier to pass. Correction, it'll make it possible to pass.

Obi: In the syllabus it does say "attendance is not mandatory(but critical)...." However, I would just feel like a giant *** even asking him to do that since it was I that screwed up.
2006-11-03, 3:19 PM #5
When the s*** hits the fan, lie.
2006-11-03, 3:59 PM #6
Yeah, if I recall, your car broke down, and you would've taken a bus, but you didn't think there was anything important that day.

Right?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-11-03, 4:12 PM #7
You just reminded me; I need to get my lecturer's Powerpoint slides off the University's website.

>.>
2006-11-03, 6:03 PM #8
The car excuse won't work. The test was in the testing center from monday to wednesday. I went through my school e-mails and found the chapter 10 powerpoint, which I hadn't opened until now. In it he did mention a test this week. *sigh*

Well, if I don't pass it will hurt my GPA, which isn't as good as I'd like it anyway because of a bad first year(no where near the probation zone though). Also, I'm not sure if the government will want me to payback the money for just that class or the entire semester.

I think at this point my best and only option is to grit my teeth, do my damnedest to get that ace on the last test and hope for the best. If I pass, it will hurt my GPA, but at least I won't owe money or have to take the course again.
2006-11-03, 6:52 PM #9
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
If he revised the schedule, he should let you take some sort of makeup test.

Hahahahahahahahaha. No. You don't go to class, stuff like this happens.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-04, 12:54 AM #10
Most college professors will work with you on making up a major assignment, even if they specifically state in the syllabus that they will not. They're not going to let one of their students fail if they make an effort to correct a problem, even if it's completely the student's fault. He'll probably knock 20% off of your exam score, and call it a penalty. But 20% off is a hell of a lot better than 100%.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2006-11-04, 12:57 AM #11
Originally posted by Avenger:
Hahahahahahahahaha. No. You don't go to class, stuff like this happens.

It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.
2006-11-04, 1:29 AM #12
[QUOTE=Darth J]Most college professors will work with you on making up a major assignment, even if they specifically state in the syllabus that they will not. They're not going to let one of their students fail if they make an effort to correct a problem, even if it's completely the student's fault. He'll probably knock 20% off of your exam score, and call it a penalty. But 20% off is a hell of a lot better than 100%.[/QUOTE]

very true
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-11-04, 1:43 AM #13
Yeah, I'd definitely ask for a second shot. Worst thing that will happen is he will glare at you.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-11-04, 10:52 AM #14
Definitely worth asking. As someone said above, it can't possibly make things any worse.

And yeah, that does suck. I know a few people who have had that happen. In fact, it almost happened to me this semester. I'm taking this elective called culture & ideas, and the lectures are 3 hours long, once a week (wednesdays from 7:00 to 10:00). One week I skipped the lecture because I wasn't feeling well and couldn't make my nose stop running. I hadn't looked at the syllabus in a while, and it turns out the first midterm was during class the week following the one that I skipped (had I gone to thbe class, I would have been reminded that the test was the next week). The night before the midterm, at 1:30 AM I decided randomly to check the syllabus to see when the midterm would be. I nearly **** myself, I hadn't studied for it at all yet. I spent the majority of the next day studying (while at work, had to ask my boss for permission, during other classes, etc), and ended up pulling off an 87.5% ;)
2006-11-04, 11:27 AM #15
It's understandable why you'd miss it though, I hate wasting time on a class where the instructor just reads right from the book or pre-distributed material the entire time. If your school does those teacher critique forms at the end of the semester, you can use it to fully elaborate on why that "style" of teaching wastes both your time and money. I'm always harsh when it comes time to grade those (thankfully it's only happened a couple times, usually the instructors I've had actually know enough about the material to deviate from the readings).

In cases like yours though I wouldn't miss too many classes unless I know the instructor tends to stick strictly to the original schedule, or if I know someone in class I can find out important changes from (relying on them for full notes unless you're paying them or they're a close friend is rude, but just asking if there were any important announcements seems fine).

Better luck next time.
2006-11-04, 4:45 PM #16
I e-mailed him and he told me to talk to him Monday so we can work something out. Sounds promising.

I did have another option, though. I went to my first National Guard drill with my actual unit today(145th C-Btry >.>) and I got some interesting ideas. I could volunteer to go to the border for 2-6 weeks. Now, I know some of you are thinking "zomg getting deployed because you missed a test? WTF!?" but I would not deploy myself just because of a test. I actually want to get deployed somewhere, but education came before that in my mind(and since this semester may be shot to hell anyway....). It's starting to turn to winter in Utah and I loathe winter here so very much, so going to a warm climate for about half the winter would be nice.

Also, my Thanksgiving is ****ed anyway because of my mom's family drama and I would get back from deployment in time for the next semester. And I wouldn't be wasting money because if you get deployed, the college just lets you take the classes again free of charge. However, this hinges on me being able to get attached to a mutt unit at the last minute.

If things don't pan out, I might as well take the deployment. Go somewhere warm for winter, make a little extra money, and I've wanted to be deployed, as long as it wasn't at the expense of my education.

↑ Up to the top!