Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What kind of laptop should I buy?
What kind of laptop should I buy?
2006-11-03, 6:37 PM #1
My Debian laptop died on me today-- after googling the error messages, I determined that the motherboard finally kicked it.

Tomorrow, I'm going laptop shopping, so are there any good brands/models that you would recommend?

my needs:

-Fast CPU (i don't know if I can afford the latest and greatest dual core, but it should be at least 2 GHZ)
-Wifi and Ethernet capable (Very important that I have both in case i'm far from a hot zone and still need to hook up)
-At least 1 GB of ram (I'm going to be running virtual machines in linux)
-decent battery life (at least 2 hours)

I'm also going to give Kubuntu a try, I'm downloading Edgy Eft right now. How good is the hardware auodetection in [K]Ubuntu these days? The reason why I'm asking is that I was never able to get a wifi card working under Debian on my old laptop, so I was stuck with ethernet, it would be great if all of my connectivity would get itself working out of the box, so to speak.
2006-11-03, 6:48 PM #2
MacBook Pro
[http://leptitfoutifouz.blogstation.fr/images/medium_macbookpro.jpg]
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
2006-11-03, 6:55 PM #3
Asus A8JS

I honestly don't think think I could think of anything better if I tried.
-Merom Core 2 Duo CPU. Fast as heck.
-7700go, that's fast, but not so fast it gives off too much heat or kills the battery
-1GB of RAm
-100GB HDD

All in a 1440x900 14inch screen, which IMHO, is the perfect size for a laptop. It seems stupid to lug around a huge laptop, which is basically a desktop with a battery. Also, Asus has fantastic build quality.

Also, 1600$. Macbooks are great, too, if you happen to be rich.
2006-11-03, 7:10 PM #4
Um, the one you linked to is $1598. That's a lot less than $1600.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-03, 7:18 PM #5
Maybe my math's off, but...isn't it a $2 difference?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-11-03, 7:24 PM #6
Forgot the sarcasm tag. :ninja:
Pissed Off?
2006-11-04, 1:26 AM #7
If you can afford the macbook pro I'd recommend it. Also, there's an idiot's guide (not that I think you need it) to getting Ubuntu onto an intel mac at simplehelp.net.
2006-11-04, 4:17 AM #8
MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo). If you cannot afford the latest and greatest, get a refurbished MacBook Pro (Core Duo) or a refurbished MacBook (Core Duo). Apple refurbs have a good reputation these days and I believe they come with a 1 year warranty. I just worked on a MacBook the other day (LCD panel swap) and I was very much impressed with the design. If you are not willing to use an Apple, get a Toshiba.

↑ Up to the top!