Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → any football players in here
any football players in here
2004-07-05, 6:36 PM #1
if so what position

------------------
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
2004-07-05, 6:54 PM #2
Good luck with that. Most of us are computer geeks. But as you are new to massassi, I welcome you!

------------------
Chaz Ghostle you have the best taste in music. I can't tell how many times I listened to that song on your site.
My Personal Site | Remnant Temple Part A | A work in progress
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-07-05, 6:59 PM #3
I've only known one geek/football player hybrid. Geeks mostly play other sports like baseball, soccer, basically anything but football.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-05, 7:04 PM #4
Yeah, I've only known one person to be a geek and a football player too, and I think me and Emon might be talking about the same person. (Nervecore owner?) Myself, I play soccer.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-07-05, 7:08 PM #5
That depends on wether you mean american football or not.

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-07-05, 7:23 PM #6
Thats true.

------------------
You have to look at the big picture. We (as a country) spend more tax money dealing with MS blunders than we do on the software itself. And guess who MS's largest customer is? You guessed it, the government! - Brian
My Personal Site | Remnant Temple Part A | A work in progress
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-07-05, 7:23 PM #7
*raises hand* OH! OH! ME! I play football. I've played for about 8 years now. In highschool I played american rules (not sure why) but after that I started playing in the CJFL highest league in Canada you can play that isn't university of professional level, and that's Canadian rules.

I play on the offensive line, mostly gaurd these days but I used to play tackle too.

And if you're referring to football as in soccer then no, sorry, you got the wrong guy. I play with the pig skin, not the black and white round ball.
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2004-07-05, 7:38 PM #8
I used to play football. I was either goalie or ruckman, depending on which code we're talking about.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-05, 11:14 PM #9
I played a season of flag football. We only had 6 games...lost'em all. Baseball was better.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-07-05, 11:54 PM #10
American football is terribly dull to play.

Rugby is where it's at. I played second row forward (I was too big for front row).
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-06, 12:31 AM #11
/me agrees with Mort-Hog

Get rid of the armour and keep the play flowing, it's much more fun for everyone that way!

Yes, I'm a geek/rugby player. I'm a lock (2nd row forward), so most of my games consist of doing the grunt work so the backs can get the ball do a couple of prancy tricks and steal all the glory. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Fight like a Warlord
2004-07-06, 2:29 AM #12
Stand-Off (League boy [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif])

Generally I take the ball as first or second reciever, call the plays and try to offload onto the heavies before I get broken in half...

It's all about the Rugby...*sighs*

Oh, and welcome new person! All you you souls are belong to ... yeah whatever. Stick around, it's all good here! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-07-06, 4:47 AM #13
It's funny how American football has a lot more serious injuries than Rugby, and it's probably because of the armour they wear. The armour provides a false sense of security and makes players think that they can take/give a lot more damage than they could without, when the flimsy armour doesn't actually offer that much protection at all.
The most dangerous part in Rugby is probably in the lineout if blokeys try and tackle the guy that's being lifted and he can land on his head. Getting a boot in the face during a ruck isn't very nice, either, nor is a collapsed scrum, but that doesn't happen very often.

Football is a gentleman's sport played by hooligans, and Rugby is a hooligan's sport played by gentlemen.

Soccer football, that is.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-06, 4:51 AM #14
i play football. The Proper Football. the one we play here in England. Plz Dont Call it soccer again

------------------
stop talking in brail

300 years as jedi master i was, now i bloody night-lite

(:-) Monobrow
2004-07-06, 5:48 AM #15
I play football (as in soccer).

------------------
/fluffle
/fluffle
2004-07-06, 5:55 AM #16
I do not play football (American version or "soccer"). I do enjoy it though.

But I'm a track runner.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-06, 6:13 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:

But I'm a track runner.

</font>

------------------
yay for not posting much ever
yay for not posting much ever
2004-07-06, 7:07 AM #18
I played football and I was in track. I played defensive end and tight end mostly.

------------------
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
2004-07-06, 8:25 AM #19
Football > Soccer.

That's from a Britland sense, so it's where you can't touch the ball with your arms.

I play a bit, now and then... and I generally play goalie, though I'm not great at it. I also like a bit of cricket, where I'm better at hiting a ball than bowling or catching it. But onjy just.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-07-06, 8:35 AM #20
screw all that! Do olympic sparring! That's where the fun's at!

------------------
Why Did the Chicken Cross The Road?

>>The Bible's Answer:
And God came down from the heavens, and He said unto the chicken, "Thou shalt cross the road." And the chicken crossed the road, and there was much rejoicing.
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2004-07-06, 8:39 AM #21
Why is American football called football anyway? I understand why football where you kick the ball with your feet, run on your feet and pretty much can only use your feet to do anything is called football, but why is a game where you hold the ball, run around holding the ball, throw the ball and stop to think about the ball called football too?
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-07-06, 9:12 AM #22
American football is a descendant of rugby union, which descended from European football (soccer). Hence they're all called football.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-06, 9:16 AM #23
I enjoy playing [American] football, but I never joined a team. If no one is an idiot, you can play tackle while injuries are kept to a minimum even without armor.

I'm intrigued by this game I've heard of called "Gaelic Football," and want to look into it.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

[This message has been edited by Bounty Hunter 4 hire (edited July 06, 2004).]
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-07-06, 10:51 AM #24
i play(ed) safety. strong and free, and cornerback...a little fullback

------------------
2004-07-06, 11:01 AM #25
I've never played on a team, but I play American football all the time with my friends at the park.

I'm trying out in 11th grade though, aiming for DE or WR. Too completely different positions, I know, but I can't make a choice yet and I'm at an in-between size for either one.

------------------
"I'm as cool as the other side of the pillow."

Me: "I can't wait to get married so I can have a bachelor party."
Andrew: "Yeah, but then you're married."
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-07-06, 11:12 AM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog
It's funny how American football has a lot more serious injuries than Rugby, and it's probably because of the armour they wear. The armour provides a false sense of security and makes players think that they can take/give a lot more damage than they could without, when the flimsy armour doesn't actually offer that much protection at all.
The most dangerous part in Rugby is probably in the lineout if blokeys try and tackle the guy that's being lifted and he can land on his head. Getting a boot in the face during a ruck isn't very nice, either, nor is a collapsed scrum, but that doesn't happen very often.</font>

I think the common problem with American footie is knee injuries. You have a guy wearing cleats that keep his feet firmly in place and no knee protection. And another guy wearing a crash helmet and hard shoulder pads who tackles him and smacks into the other guy's unprotected knee. It's going to have to cause serious injuries. I think the worst rugby injuries tend to arise only from very foul play (e.g. during a match we were winning, the opposing hooker kicked our hooker during a scrum and dislocated his knee cap), but by and large the worst you suffer regularly are a few bruises and stud gouges which are nowhere near as long term as a torn ligament.

@Bounty Hunter 4 Hire, check out Aussie rules football, it's more or less the same thing

------------------
Fight like a Warlord

[This message has been edited by Recusant (edited July 06, 2004).]
2004-07-06, 12:59 PM #27
DE is funner if in your offense all yall do is run the ball...cuz you'll be stalk blocking alll day...boring

------------------
2004-07-06, 1:04 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">if so what position</font>

I'm a WIDE RECEIVER!!!

BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH! Oh that was bad.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-06, 2:33 PM #29
bad bad bad

------------------
2004-07-06, 2:34 PM #30
bad bad bad

------------------
2004-07-06, 2:58 PM #31
Let's see.... Soccer: (sum1giveusaname, I frankly don't give a darn what you care about in this aspect. The other Euro's and Aussies don't care, so your outnumbered. You give all Brits a very bad name with that attitude. I call it soccer, you call it Football. Live with it.)

Anyway, in SOCCER, I played as a goalie or a mid-fielder. I was a big guy, but quick, so I suprised some people.

In Football, I was Center, Offensive Guard, Offensive Tackle, Noseguard, Defensive Tackle, Defensive End, Cornerback, Linebacker... I think I nailed them all. Apparently,the coaches needed me about anywhere.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-07-06, 8:25 PM #32
Stop calling the pads armor. They are football pads. More injuries in American Football because people hit a lot harder because of the pads and are even encouraged to do so.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-06, 9:00 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
More injuries in American Football because people hit a lot harder</font>

Heh, no. Rugby Union is much more violent than American Football.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

↑ Up to the top!