Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Oversight at Redmond...
Oversight at Redmond...
2006-11-06, 12:02 PM #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6120272.stm

Music bought from the current MSN music store would appear not to be compatable with the upcoming Zune.

That might cost a bob or two.

:psyduck:
2006-11-06, 12:58 PM #2
Well, people just have to buy the same songs again. Just like they have to buy a new license of Vista every time they upgrade their computers...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-11-06, 12:59 PM #3
That's ludicrous.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-06, 1:04 PM #4
Actually, lassev, that's not true anymore.

Also, :downs: about the article.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-11-06, 2:28 PM #5
Heh. Yeah, I was just joking. There was the thread about that also here.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-11-06, 2:37 PM #6
I heard about this. It's pretty confusing to me why Microsoft's own player doesn't support PlaysForSure WMAs.
2006-11-06, 3:11 PM #7
because they want to create a chic new player and a new music store to sell that player.

They're trying to make a carbon copy of the ipod. What they don't seem to realize is that the ipod isn't popular because of itunes, the ipod is popular because it has such a simple interface that you can use it without even taking it out of your coat pocket. The market has already shown repeated and powerful backlashes against online music stores for their obsession with DRM. Even itunes.
2006-11-06, 11:11 PM #8
Yep, Jon's spot on. Even I rarely buy music from the iTunes store beacuse of the DRM. I'd much rather rip my own CDs and keep the flexibility. The only things I use the iTunes store for are one off singes (79p rather than a couple of quid in shop) and when I see things that are noticeably cheaper than in shops.

This Zune thing looks more and more doomed every time it crops up in the press, which isn't necessarily a good thing. I imagine the iPod/iTunes system would've benefitted from some decent competition to drive some innovation.

↑ Up to the top!