Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Browser speed tests
Browser speed tests
2006-11-07, 12:45 AM #1
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

Saw this on Digg.

For windows, a version of Opera won in every category, with Opera 9.01 winning in 4/7 categories, and Opera 6.03 in the other three.

Interesting. Any thoughts?

(Note: he does agree at one point that even though Firefox is a bit slower than IE in some instances, it's security and standards compliance makes it more than worth it. So don't get your panties up in a bunch about that.)
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-11-07, 6:50 AM #2
I bet if he ran it with FasterFox he would have seen some changes.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-11-07, 6:52 AM #3
I bet if he retested on recent hardware, with recent releases of all the browsers, there would be far different results.

That article is VERY old, and the author even admits it, and says the article is retired. It's not much use for comparison anymore.
2006-11-07, 6:55 AM #4
Old? He's using Firefox 2....

And so what if the hardware is old, browsers shouldnt be optimized for people with higher end hardware.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-11-07, 7:02 AM #5
A. I mean REALLY old. Pentium 3 800mhz?
B. Firefox 2.... BETA 1. That's pretty damn old right now.
C. Yes, browsers should be optimized for hardware made in the past 3-4 years, because that makes up the majority of user's pcs.
D. Hell, even Firefox 1.5 wasn't final release! It was Firefox 1.5 beta2!
2006-11-07, 7:55 AM #6
Bowser Speed Test!
2006-11-07, 8:05 AM #7
A friend calls Bowser Browser every time we play Mario Kart. It freaks me out. I guess that's why he does it...
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-11-07, 9:53 AM #8
There is also no tests for the interface speed. How many tabs before it goes slow, how long to render the menus/submenus, tab switching, etc.
2006-11-07, 10:19 AM #9
I think of it like this.

The internet is Iraq ok?
And IE is a nice fast car. Fast but no defence from bastards who want to screw it up.
Firefox is heavily armoured truck. Slow but pretty much nothings gonna get through.
And Opera is a helicopter. Fast and hard to hit with normal means.
2006-11-07, 10:40 AM #10
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I think of it like this.

The internet is Iraq ok?
And IE is a nice fast car. Fast but no defence from bastards who want to screw it up.
Firefox is heavily armoured truck. Slow but pretty much nothings gonna get through.
And Opera is a helicopter. Fast and hard to hit with normal means.

No, the internet is a series of pipes, you idiot.
2006-11-07, 10:44 AM #11
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]No, the internet is a series of pipes, you idiot.[/QUOTE]
Seriously. EVERYONE knows that. Jeeze.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-11-07, 11:47 AM #12
Originally posted by Brian:
There is also no tests for the interface speed. How many tabs before it goes slow, how long to render the menus/submenus, tab switching, etc.

Yeah. I find IE7's tabbed interface to be quite sluggish. Firefox's is pretty good, but of course Opera is king.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-11-07, 3:47 PM #13
After my last post about using Firefox instead of Opera (bleck), I figured out what makes the interface (of firefox) so clumsy for me. Sure, Firefox has tabs, and Opera has tabs. But Opera's tabs are much more useful. Because they aren't really tabs. They're more like windows. Each one can be sized and arranged differently, and most importantly, they can be minimized. So when I am viewing forums, I middle-click a bunch of links to open a bunch of tabs in the background. Then I minimize the main forums tab. Then I read each post in order, closing the window after each one. When the tab is closed, it drops me to the next unread window, because in its cycling, it doesn't count minimized windows.

With firefox, I can get sort of the same thing with a few extensions. I can get it to focus me back to the last tab I was on when I close the current tab. I can get it to cycle them in the order I created them. But I can't get it to minimize a tab, so every time I read a forum post, it focuses me back to the forum index. Then I have to remember which tab I have the next thread on and click it. Argh.
2006-11-07, 3:53 PM #14
Browser's a turtle. No way he's fast.
Attachment: 14503/battle.png (90,632 bytes)
2006-11-07, 4:00 PM #15
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Old? He's using Firefox 2....

And so what if the hardware is old, browsers shouldnt be optimized for people with higher end hardware.

FF2B1 is at least a year old, if not much much older.

And while browsers shouldn't be optimized for people with higher-end hardware, the results would still be different, and not many people are running P3's nowadays. FFS, the P4 has been out since before XP came out.
D E A T H
2006-11-07, 4:04 PM #16
the computer i use at work is a p3 800mhz, with 256 of ram. it was upgraded earlier this year from a 500mhz with 128.

hooray for underfunded universities.

(i work at my school)
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-11-07, 5:06 PM #17
Pronouncing Bowser as "browser" isn't incredibly horrifying. What I have trouble with is when people pronounce Mario as "Merry-O." I'm sure that in some regions, this pronunciation is acceptable, but in the region immediately surrounding my person it is know for causing cognitive dissonance.

Dissonance, I tell you! :argh:
2006-11-07, 9:01 PM #18
I pronounce it "Merry-O". Only occasionally as "Mar-eeo".

2006-11-07, 9:04 PM #19
Originally posted by Brian:
But Opera's tabs are much more useful. Because they aren't really tabs. They're more like windows.

Yeah, it's a real MDI interface. It's really nice.

I love Opera, I think it's a fantastic product. But I rely on the extensibility of Firefox too much. There are too many nifty extensions that I actually use regularly.

I think, for most users, Opera could be the best IE replacement. But making them aware of Firefox, especially for its extensions, is quite important. But even that is sort of moot these days since IE 7 is pretty good too. I mean, security wise, it's not a gaping hole like 6 was. I just hope they keep it updated this time. Browser competition is a good thing.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-11-07, 9:38 PM #20
Merry-o is just plain wrong.

o.0

↑ Up to the top!