Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Waterproof outerwear?
Waterproof outerwear?
2006-11-08, 2:08 AM #1
I really need something waterproof and extremely durable and lightweight.

I've read alot about gore-tex and how awesome it is, and I've also read alot about DWR..

But what are soem good brands? I need something really good and waterproof for winter. Also, I worked all last night in the rain.. and got soaked.

I've looked at llbean, and http://www.arcteryx.com/

But I just don't know what I should invest in!

Anyone have experience with this crap?

Keep in mind it has to be lightweight, because I'm expected to fit into all sorts of small places at work.
2006-11-08, 2:27 AM #2
I really want to pick up some canvas stuff, oiled canvas is practicly bulletproof, and super waterproof too.

o.0
2006-11-08, 2:31 AM #3
grangersusa.com makes this stuff you can use to replenish that waterproof layer.

It's like rainex for your rain gear. :)

All that arcteryx stuff is like $400... :(

The LL bean jack I was looking at was $160, but I don't really have any experience with this sort of stuff.
2006-11-08, 2:36 AM #4
Dare I ask what your job is..? I'm wondering what job invloves going in to small wet places.... :P
One should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush
Vin Diesel shot the sheriff, but he did not shoot the deputy; he ate him alive instead.
My Site
2006-11-08, 2:38 AM #5
Rob's a bottom feeder.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-11-08, 3:33 AM #6
Originally posted by Joey:
Dare I ask what your job is..? I'm wondering what job invloves going in to small wet places.... :P

I work for UPS in a small Air Operation at BWI-Airport.

Theres virtually nowhere to hide from rain unless you like go in trailers.

I normally help load the P section of the a300, which bigger people can't do because of the way the containers come in the door. They also use me whenever they need specific paperwork for a specific container that is way toward the back of the plane, because I can fit overtop or beside of the containers. And it's better for me to squeeze by, undo a series of locks and scoot some cans backwards. Rather than unload half of the plane in certain cases. Alot of times I have to ride the position 13 container in all the way to the back of the plane, so that it goes under all the locks in the back. I'm the only person right now that can climb out of there. Or crazy enough to do it. :P They use me alot on the Container Sort Platform, because I can squeeze in behind the containers on the trailers with relative ease to push them out. (The containers only have two straps, and sometimes you can't pull 5000 pounds with only two people)

The problem is I spend most of my time outside of the plane. I marshall the planes almost always, and on flat ground with nothing around the rain just hammers against you. It's especially bad on Thursday and Friday, because we get an extra plane that goes out before our normal plane. And they always have to wait for clearance, because they don't have a consistent block time. So I get to stand out there for about 20 minutes with the wind blowing directly through me.
2006-11-08, 4:03 AM #7
I've got a Columbia Titanium jacket that keeps out the rain and cold quite effectively. They call their particular waterproofing Omni-Tech. So far I've used it in all sorts of conditions in the hills/mountains without a problem and it's a relatively lightweight coat. If sweating bothers you, you can open some zips under the arms for ventilation.
2006-11-08, 4:03 AM #8
GoLite makes some of the greatest and lightest outdoor wear around and they have an excellent selection of waterproof attire. You would most likely be looking for one of their Storm Shell solutions. I am a huge fan of their hiking and camping gear.

Oh, and did I mention, they are breathable?

Quote:
Storm shells are designed for downpours and extended showers -- more rainfall than from which GoLite's Motion and Wind shells can protect you. In the past, "waterproof-breathable" shells were hardly breathable. But thankfully advanced laminates -- like Gore-Tex's PacLite III and our proprietary GoDri -- and some useful designs -- like pit zips and rear free-hanging mesh vents -- have made staying dry far more comfortable.
2006-11-08, 8:28 AM #9
Anything gore-tex is most likely going to perform about the same, because manufactures have to follow Gore's extremely anal standards for everything.

I think I'm going to go with LL beans Gore-tex solution, because they have a jacket that extends down to the knee.
2006-11-08, 8:36 AM #10
There's nothing more waterproof than oil. Therefore it stands to reason that you will stay dry if you strip down and douse yourself in lamp oil. And to stay warm you can light the oil on fire.
2006-11-08, 8:39 AM #11
I've actually done that before.

Mega owwies.
2006-11-08, 8:44 AM #12
Originally posted by Recusant:
I've got a Columbia Titanium jacket that keeps out the rain and cold quite effectively. They call their particular waterproofing Omni-Tech. So far I've used it in all sorts of conditions in the hills/mountains without a problem and it's a relatively lightweight coat. If sweating bothers you, you can open some zips under the arms for ventilation.

Seconding Columbia; I have one of their jackets and it's served me well for nearly 6 years now.
Stuff
2006-11-08, 8:50 AM #13
Basically anything from Columbia; very high quality stuff. I've got a couple of jackets that have lasted me several years now. Plus, they're usually not too expensive, try looking at [url]www.sierratradingpost.com[/url] for a really good deal Rob.

I've also heard that Frog Trogs are very good, but pricey. I've never owned some myself, but I have a friend who went up to Alaska fishing with a full suit. He said it poured some up there and he was still dry as a bone.
2006-11-08, 12:31 PM #14
I was going to recommend Columbia but I see it's already been done.
2006-11-08, 6:22 PM #15
Originally posted by Jon`C:
There's nothing more waterproof than oil. Therefore it stands to reason that you will stay dry if you strip down and douse yourself in lamp oil. And to stay warm you can light the oil on fire.

Thus canvas soaked in linseed oil. Its highly flammable too, and provides a nice substance to slowly burn away.

o.0
2006-11-08, 8:40 PM #16
I think I'm going to go with the gore-tex from LL Bean. I'll get a set of pants and a parka.

Stricter quality standards, and I've seen it in acrion.
2006-11-09, 9:52 AM #17
Originally posted by Rob:
I think I'm going to go with the gore-tex from LL Bean. I'll get a set of pants and a parka.

Stricter quality standards, and I've seen it in acrion.

You can't go wrong with Gore-Tex. With all the imitations, I've had about 50/50, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
2006-11-09, 2:23 PM #18
i got a cheap regatta packa mac and waterproof kecks to go climbing in the lake district it kept me dry while all around me were soaked
2006-11-10, 6:50 AM #19
i wear northface stuff with apex technology, wind and waterproof
I <3 Massassi
2006-11-10, 1:38 PM #20
Originally posted by Brian:
You can't go wrong with Gore-Tex. With all the imitations, I've had about 50/50, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

One of the guys I work with gets his stuff from the government because he's a homeland security agent.

It's amazing stuff.

↑ Up to the top!