Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Quick FFXII question
Quick FFXII question
2006-11-09, 9:03 AM #1
I looked in the FFXII thread, but didn't see the answer to my question. Do I need to play Tactics in order to understand FFXII?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-11-09, 9:08 AM #2
No, it helps from a background perspective, but you could just get that from Wikipedia. FFXII takes place thousands of years after FFTA, (Or maybe thousands before, I don't remember), so the events in FFTA don't directly effect the game.

Edit: Tactics Advanced is set in Ivalice (The FFXII world), not just Tactics
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-11-09, 9:26 AM #3
FFTA takes place in an "imaginary" version of the world from Final Fantasy XII, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics. At the beginning of FFTA, when the children wish that "Final Fantasy were real", they were talking about Final Fantasy XII.

You definitely do not need to play any of the other games set in Ivalice to understand this game.
2006-11-09, 10:20 AM #4
But FFT / Vagrant story don't include races besides the Humans, wheras FFTA includes the Rabbit People, Moogles, Weird blue guys and Alligator men.

So the FFTA world, even though they say "I wish life was a final fantasy game", had to more real than imaginary, since they couldn't have gotten those races from any FF on the market.

Ivalice is stupid.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-11-09, 10:34 AM #5
No, Square is stupid for saying FF12 is in Ivalice when really there's hardly anything connecting FF12 to XII.

Balthier is Mustadio's descendant though. :)
2006-11-09, 11:30 AM #6
Originally posted by fishstickz:
But FFT / Vagrant story don't include races besides the Humans, wheras FFTA includes the Rabbit People, Moogles, Weird blue guys and Alligator men.
FFTA was the imaginary world that was created when the children wished FF12 would become real.

Humes, Viera, Moogles, Nu Mou and Bangaa. :P

And honestly, if you go through FF12 there aren't that many non-humans. Certainly none who are in a position to have a real impact on the storyline: in fact, Viera who leave the forest are incredibly rare, and Balthier said that Viera who deal with humans are even more rare. And the only Nu Mou I ever saw in FF12 lived in a monastery at the top of a mountain.

[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]No, Square is stupid for saying FF12 is in Ivalice when really there's hardly anything connecting FF12 to XII.[/QUOTE]:confused:

FYI, the guy who decided the game would be set in Ivalice is the guy who invented Ivalice and directed Vagrant Story, FFT and FFTA. So
2006-11-09, 1:03 PM #7
Woh, never knew Vagrant Story was set in Ivalice. I need to play that again.

The more you know. Thanks Joncy
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-11-09, 1:59 PM #8
Vagrant Story isn't set in Ivalice, but it is set in the same world. Ivalice is just one small part of it. Vagrant Story takes place in the kingdom of Valendia, which is referenced multiple times throughout FFXII.

↑ Up to the top!