Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My Knoppix Adventure...questions inside!!!
My Knoppix Adventure...questions inside!!!
2004-07-05, 8:04 PM #1
Hello, Linux Users. I would like to say....

I AM SOLD.

After Windows went bonkers on me for installing a removable Hard Drive, claiming I needed to reactivate, and then not letting me....I tried my Knoppix disk. (which I had originally used to format and fixed hard drives and prepare for a Windows install....)

Needless to say, I"m way sold.

The problem:

I'm a Video Editor, and there is NO quality video editing software for Linux. Plus that and all the other Windows programs I still want to run.

I'm not talking about the web browsers, or p2p clients, or gAIM or anything like that which I have found already and love already, but I'm wondering if I could even run WINE with something as intensive as Video Editing software....

Linux Geeks, please, come to my aid, and I swear my first born, and all my friends will learn the beauty of having a clean, stable, quick loading, useful operating system!

------------------
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
2004-07-05, 8:12 PM #2
I'm not a linux geek per se, just another fellow user with lasting ties to the real world.

welcome aboard the linux express. Destination: Nirvana. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-05, 8:44 PM #3
I'm not sure there's any good video editing software. If I knew more, I'd help you out. Try running a search on osnews.com, they usually have some nice reviews/articles about cool software for alternative operating systems.

Anyway, glad you like it. Hope it lasts. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Brian

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-07-06, 5:04 AM #4
Well, there is excellent video editing software for *nix, but its obscenely expensive, and not really available to the general public.

A few that are free:
Kino
Cinelerra
LVE - linux Video Editor

Oh, yeah...Welcome, to the real world. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-06, 6:59 AM #5
Do any linux distros support the different file-systems? (FAT32, NTFS, FAT etc) I remember trying Knoppix, and it was nice, but it didn't support my file-system so everything was read-only.
2004-07-06, 7:34 AM #6
Knoppix by default leaves your drives read-only because it's just supposed to be used as a "trial" thingy, but it's easy to change.

Is NTFS still dangerous to mount read-write in Linux?

------------------
"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-07-06, 8:26 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BV:
Knoppix by default leaves your drives read-only because it's just supposed to be used as a "trial" thingy, but it's easy to change.

Is NTFS still dangerous to mount read-write in Linux?

</font>

Read, no, write, yes.

NTFS isn't fully supported, Fat is, there are a lot of different ones that Linux uses though.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 8:30 AM #8
Knoppix by default mounts all filesystems as Read-Only, as a security measure. NTFS should not be mounted Read-Write, unless you are running the 2.6 kernel, which supposedly has better support, although very few have actually risked testing it.

As GBK mentioned, Cinerella is about the best you can do, although as such, it is a GREAT PROGRAM. It is almost on par with Adobe Premiere in the realm of features, so you should definately check it out if you are serious about video editing in linux.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-07-06, 3:29 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BV:
...Is NTFS still dangerous to mount read-write in Linux?</font>

No. Download the latest Knoppix and boot it with the 2.6 kernel. (type "kernel26" at the Boot: prompt) Then run "Captive NTFS"... Thatll use the actual ntfs.sys driver from your windows instal to handle NTFS read/write. Its a beautiful thing.

------------------
2004-07-06, 4:36 PM #10
So let me get this straight - I can actually use Knoppix properly on a disk that is completely NTFS?
2004-07-06, 4:38 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Connection Problem:
So let me get this straight - I can actually use Knoppix properly on a disk that is completely NTFS?</font>

If you dare.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-07-06, 4:44 PM #12
Yes, you can. Captive NTFS], which is included with recent versions of Knoppix, allows seamless read/write access to NTFS formatted volumes.

------------------
2004-07-06, 4:47 PM #13
With no risk of losing/corrupting data, as CM "cryptically" hinted?
2004-07-06, 4:50 PM #14
It uses the actual Windows NTFS driver. While I wouldnt recommend storing your term papers via this method, it would allow for most any write operation youd need.

------------------
2004-07-06, 5:52 PM #15
There's always a risk. I wouldn't do it...

------------------
2004-07-06, 8:21 PM #16
My current problem is, now that I HAVE a Windows XP disk, to which I can reinstall/reactivate XP with, I still would like to install a distro and have a bootloader that I can choose to use, since I truly am sold on this Linux stuff.

The other problem is...in a sick attempt to recover the other things on the Windows bit, I installed 2000, but can't for the life of me get the Windows XP to even LOAD anymore in Safe Mode, which I need to do to reactivate my XP.

I'm lost, confused, and the only thing that does work is my Knoppix. An old distro. Running on the only CD drive installed right now. My burner.

But I do love Knoppix.

------------------
2004-07-07, 4:45 AM #17
Use the XP install CD to repair the bootloader.

------------------
2004-07-07, 12:52 PM #18
Which I finally was able to do.

Now, I'm left with a better question.

I have a clean install of XP Pro. I will only install programs I absolutely must use with windows.

What Linux distro should I run?

------------------
2004-07-07, 2:00 PM #19
That's an opinion question. I choose Debian because I never have to deal with dependency rpm hell as in Mandrake/Red Hat. Granted, they have made strides recently in fixing that, but it's still a nightmare. Knoppix is based on Debian, so it's nice because it comes pre-configured and it's easy to install.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!