Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Capital Punishment!
Capital Punishment!
2006-11-09, 7:41 PM #1
Yay or Nay, despite your current country's laws on the matter.

I'm all in favor for Deathmatch Island, formally known as Australia. This is essentially the middle-ground to both nay and yay sayers. They get a chance to live, and they will eventually be killed. Everybody wins!

<3 Roman Times
2006-11-09, 7:42 PM #2
Nay, of course. (Waiting for poll... :argh: )
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-09, 7:44 PM #3
I have no idea why I added "No" and "rehabilitation". I guess they're essentially the same. Unless we say, no, and no rehab. Just send them to prison. Right?
2006-11-09, 7:46 PM #4
Well, I'm pro-death penalty, so I guess.. yes.

(Deathmatch island is also acceptable)
2006-11-09, 7:49 PM #5
Quote:
(9:47:40 PM) Anovis: Aglar! How could you be against Deathmatch Island, formally known as Australia?
(9:48:25 PM) SM_Adjudicator: "send them to Jepman's house"
(9:48:33 PM) Aglar: well, that's equally acceptable
(9:48:36 PM) Aglar: but I can only vote for one

Woot!
2006-11-09, 7:52 PM #6
All for it.
2006-11-09, 7:53 PM #7
Allow? Yes.
Process case differently from low-profile criminals? No.

2006-11-09, 8:23 PM #8
Only in circumstances when, if kept incarcerated, they would still have the possibility of harming others/escaping.
woot!
2006-11-09, 8:25 PM #9
how about we just cut LA off the U... hey wait a moment.. thats an awesome movie
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-11-10, 12:23 AM #10
I say yes, but only for dealing with serial criminals who commit horrendous crimes and show no sign of ever reforming.

And leave my country alone! =p
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-11-10, 12:53 AM #11
I believe I made my point elsewhere. [http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/JoZ/Whistling.gif]
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-11-10, 1:08 AM #12
Yes, but the process needs to be expediated so it doesn't take 30 years.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-10, 1:30 AM #13
I voted no, because being a member state of EU and having death sentences is quite incompatible indeed.

Ignoring that, I might even agree with Deadman.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-11-10, 1:53 AM #14
Yeah, you heard Lassev, leave my country alone!
2006-11-10, 2:46 AM #15
Har har. I was referring to the first part of your post :P

Although I wouldn't mind if the worst offenders were shipped over there and fed to the crocodiles...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-11-10, 3:18 AM #16
I think the morality of a society can be measured by how it treats its least desirables (rather than how it can best reward its most desirable). In the European Union, there is no death penalty - capital punishment is fully abolished. There were quite a few archaic laws still punishable by death (treason and piracy were still theoretically punishable by death up until 1999) in Britain that were finally repeated by EU convention.
The lowest of the low, the most hated, the most feared, the most loathful members of society are still worthy of their most basic human right - life. I live in a society that values life so much that nothing you can do will deny you that right. There's something about that that makes me quite proud to be European.

http://www.eurunion.org/legislat/deathpenalty/deathpenhome.htm
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2006-11-10, 3:24 AM #17
I once heard that living a life on death row is worse than actually being put to death... so yay for the death sentence. But I also think that it should be given to those who are especially cruel, ie serial killers and dictators.
One should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush
Vin Diesel shot the sheriff, but he did not shoot the deputy; he ate him alive instead.
My Site
2006-11-10, 4:01 AM #18
Originally posted by Avenger:
Yes, but the process needs to be expediated so it doesn't take 30 years.

I'm rather glad that when something as serious as capital punishment is undertaken it takes as much as 30 years sometimes. If you try to fast-track it, you can expect more travesties of justice. I'd rather see a lot of time and money spent on a guilty individual than an innocent get executed in the name of expediance.
2006-11-10, 4:06 AM #19
Deathmatch Island. I do not believe in the rehabilitation of violent criminals. That method fails the victims, the victim's family, and you are always taking a chance by releasing them back in to society. Give them their own island, televise it, and let them beat one another to death. In my mind, execution is murder, and no government should be murdering people. Especially their own.
2006-11-10, 4:22 AM #20
And putting them on an island where they will be killed isn't murder? =p
2006-11-10, 4:31 AM #21
High profile criminals should be chainsawed in half by the Locust Horde.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-10, 5:00 AM #22
I think Jepcution is the worst way to go. :psyduck:
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-11-10, 7:36 AM #23
I'm generally conservative. But I don't like capital punishment, abortion, and euthinasia or anything of that sort :(. For proven murderers, life in prison should be enough of a punishment and is probably even worse. Even undesirables should be given a chance, and there is always the chance that you might accidently execute an innocent person.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-11-10, 7:53 AM #24
Omg more friends! ^_^

We'll have like a tea party and stuff! Omg it'll be soooooooo much fun!
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-11-10, 7:55 AM #25
Yes, if anything because it costs more to keep them in jail their entire lives.
2006-11-10, 8:05 AM #26
That's a pretty bar graph. Like a cellphone commercial almost.

[http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/kyle901/jepmanlol.png]
Stuff
2006-11-10, 8:07 AM #27
I think people should be put to death for just about everything.

Breaking into someones house and stealing their television set is WRONG. You don't just accidently do something like that. You should be killed for it.

It might take a few deaths, but I think criminals would get the idea and stop screwing around.

I'd also be open to the practice of cutting their hands off for stealing. The world would be a way better place if things worked like that.
2006-11-10, 8:07 AM #28
Yes, but scientific experiments could be great too.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-10, 8:29 AM #29
Gah, I clicked the wrong option while attempting to click the vote button. My real answer was "No." I think I've just adequately demonstrated the "human error" rationale for not allowing it.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-11-10, 8:39 AM #30
If they're caught in the act of: murder, rape, attempted murder or any kind of assault where the purpose was to ruin their life then murder is a good option.

If they are convicted for any of the above on evidence allone then I would say it depends on the strength of the evidence and how much reasonable doubt their is.
2006-11-10, 10:19 AM #31
No. But I don't like the idea of putting anything to death at all; Execution, Abortion, Euthanasia etc.
nope.
2006-11-10, 10:35 AM #32
Originally posted by Axis:
I think people should be put to death for just about everything.

Breaking into someones house and stealing their television set is WRONG. You don't just accidently do something like that. You should be killed for it.

It might take a few deaths, but I think criminals would get the idea and stop screwing around.

I'd also be open to the practice of cutting their hands off for stealing. The world would be a way better place if things worked like that.
You know, I'm in a one-act play right now about this very concept.

It's not a good idea.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-11-10, 10:54 AM #33
I voted no and pretty much agree with Mort-Hog.
2006-11-10, 10:55 AM #34
People forget that it's also possible to send a person to prison for life on a bad rap too. Chances are, a bad rap won't be found out, unless the guy is rich enough to have a bunch of lawyers on his case. Besides, I really don't see what life in prison accomplishes. It's like executing someone with old age. You can't exactly live a fulfilling life in jail.

Granted humans will err, and a death sentence should have a very high evidence standard associated with it, but in a society, people are going to die from errors, weather it be in the construction of a building a traffic accident, or a miscarriage of justice. All of the above accidents occur in institutions that are necessary for the continuation of society. Sure, we could eliminate many deaths a year by outlawing cars, but the increased effectiveness we as a society have from using them is worth it us over the increased risk we take.

Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I think the morality of a society can be measured by how it treats its least desirables (rather than how it can best reward its most desirable). In the European Union, there is no death penalty - capital punishment is fully abolished. There were quite a few archaic laws still punishable by death (treason and piracy were still theoretically punishable by death up until 1999) in Britain that were finally repeated by EU convention.
The lowest of the low, the most hated, the most feared, the most loathful members of society are still worthy of their most basic human right - life. I live in a society that values life so much that nothing you can do will deny you that right. There's something about that that makes me quite proud to be European.

http://www.eurunion.org/legislat/deathpenalty/deathpenhome.htm

And we say that if you deny that right to an innocent person, you forfeit it for yourself. What makes your opinion better than ours?
2006-11-10, 11:10 AM #35
Originally posted by JLee:
Only in circumstances when, if kept incarcerated, they would still have the possibility of harming others/escaping.

So you're worried that a murderer might kill another murderer? So the solution is to kill the murderer before another murderer gets the chance. :P

Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
All of the above accidents occur in institutions that are necessary for the continuation of society.

But executing criminals isn't necessary. Mistakenly imprisoning someone can be at least somewhat rectified—the innocent person can be released. A fulfilled death sentence can’t be reversed. Why is the death of an innocent worth the death of criminals whom would otherwise just rot in jail for the rest of their lives?
2006-11-10, 11:26 AM #36
Innocents rot in jail too, they aren't always exonerated. The point is that the society has decided that the minor risk each person incurs is worth it over the increased effectiveness of a death sentence.
2006-11-10, 11:41 AM #37
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Yes, if anything because it costs more to keep them in jail their entire lives.[/QUOTE]

Can't.... resist....

Quote:
FINANCIAL FACTS ABOUT THE DEATH PENALTY
• The California death penalty system costs taxpayers $114 million per year beyond the costs of keeping convicts locked up for life.
Taxpayers have paid more than $250 million for each of the state’s executions. (L.A. Times, March 6, 2005)
• In Kansas, the costs of capital cases are 70% more expensive than comparable non-capital cases, including the costs of incarceration.
(Kansas Performance Audit Report, December 2003).
• In Indiana, the total costs of the death penalty exceed the complete costs of life without parole sentences by about 38%, assuming
that 20% of death sentences are overturned and reduced to life. (Indiana Criminal Law Study Commission, January 10, 2002).
• The most comprehensive study in the country found that the death penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the
costs of sentencing murderers to life imprisonment. The majority of those costs occur at the trial level. (Duke University, May 1993).
• Enforcing the death penalty costs Florida $51 million a year above what it would cost to punish all first-degree murderers with life in
prison without parole. Based on the 44 executions Florida had carried out since 1976, that amounts to a cost of $24 million for each
execution. (Palm Beach Post, January 4, 2000).
• In Texas, a death penalty case costs an average of $2.3 million, about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at
the highest security level for 40 years. (Dallas Morning News, March 8, 1992).

Source
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-11-10, 11:53 AM #38
:psyduck:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-11-10, 11:59 AM #39
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
Can't.... resist....

Source

I'll have to go get my sources, I did this topic in HS, and found that most of these cases exist under extreme or strange circumstances. I may or may not get around to it though, in which case you'll just have to take my word for it .(
2006-11-10, 12:01 PM #40
Those facts dont point out why it costs so much. It makes no sense. There's no way it costs millions of dollars for a lethal injection shot and burial services for one execution. I wont pretend to know exactly what the process is from the time between conviction to execution, but obviously thats where all the money comes in.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."

↑ Up to the top!