Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PS3 kiosk
PS3 kiosk
2006-11-10, 7:11 PM #1
So I was walking around in the Providence Place Mall today when I came across the Sony store. I walked in to find a PS3 kiosk with MotorStorm on it. So I pick up the controller and the first thing I notice is that the back trigger buttons are curved more than the PS2 buttons. It feels nice but at the same time it feels like it's going to break in my hand. The plastic feels a step down from the PS2 controllers. Not a big issue, but it was there.

The game itself was pretty fun. Smash into another car too fast and parts go flying all over the place. The levels are very nice and detailed, and the cars look pretty slick as well. Overall I didn't notice much of a difference from an XBox 360 game. Nothing really stood out as amazing, but it was pretty nice looking overall.

The real issue was the framerate in MororStorm. At the start of a race when all the cars were lined up the game ran pretty sluggish. Overall the game ran smooth enough, but the slowdowns kept popping up at random times. I don't see any reason why a game like MotorStorm should be slowing down at all, but it was kind of a turn off. It reminded me of playing games on an old N64 system at times.

My 10 min opinion of the PS3 so far is that it's nice. It's a slick Foreman-Grill looking system that has pretty graphics. Hopefully the slowdowns in MotorStorm were due to the game only being a demo. So is it worth $599? I don't think so. Graphically it looked about as good as the 360. I'm sure people will argue that the graphics can be a LOT better than the 360, but I couldn't really tell a difference. Gears of War on the 360 is an amazing looking game, and I honestly don't care if the PS3 can do better because the 360 is already pushing graphics far enough for even the hardcore gamer. The 360 is in good supply, it's $399, it's has a good amount of time to work it's bugs out...most of them, and it's already got some awesome games on it. The PS3 is $599, it seems to have a pretty weak launch, it's bound to have SOME issues on it with the first generation, and it's going to be impossible to find when it first comes out. Make your choice.

(This isn't an anti-Sony, pro-everything else thread. It's just my thoughts on the PS3 after getting a small amount of hands on time with it)
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-10, 8:09 PM #2
Don't worry, i'm sure everyone will act like an *** towards you anyway.

Interesting to hear a hands-on perspective.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-10, 8:47 PM #3
I'd like to see what happens in the next year or so for the PS3. A lot of the better games come out a while after launch (Kingdom Hearts comes to mind). I'm sure they'll push the limits of all three of the systems as time goes on as they do now. I'm not about to judge any of the consoles this early.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-11-10, 8:51 PM #4
I wonder if HL2 on the ps3 wil lbe like HL1 one the ps2.

The ps2 version of HL1 contained some bonus stuff as well as better models and AI.
I hope that can done for HL2. They could for example feature HL2 and both episodes.
2006-11-10, 9:22 PM #5
Did you pee on it?
2006-11-10, 9:29 PM #6
HAHAHAHAhahah! See what he did there? Ahahaha, you are so clever tofu. Go to hell.
2006-11-10, 9:34 PM #7
"Hey guys, I played a PS3 for ten minutes. I played Motor Storm, and not any of the headline titles. It's not worth 600, but it's nice. Forget the fact that there's a 500 dollar version."

If you played MGS4 and still had that opinion, then I might think about caring.
D E A T H
2006-11-10, 9:35 PM #8
To be fair, he did say it was a 10 minute opinion.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-10, 9:37 PM #9
Detty was right. 10 points for him.
2006-11-10, 9:39 PM #10
Haha!

Anyway, that seems fair. From what I hear, it's impossible to make games for the PS3, and that lots of developers are getting screwed over in their playstation contracts.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-11-10, 9:49 PM #11
Originally posted by Avenger:
To be fair, he did say it was a 10 minute opinion.

But I don't figure out if I'm going to buy a car in ten minutes. Hell, it takes me hours to find the right pair of SHOES to buy, the right SHIRTS to buy. Consoles...christ, I spend a lot more than 10 minutes figuring out if I want it or not. I play them extensively, look up the libraries. And I don't judge a consoles' worth on some random racing game.

I dunno, it seems silly to say "It's not worth 600 dollars" considering the circumstances, especially considering he's shown his (obvious) bias before. Maybe if this were someone without much of a bias, even, I'd accept that. But even still, if I played a game chopping onions for 10 minutes on the Rev, and I said I wouldn't spend 250 bucks on it, how do you think people like Van Dork would react?
D E A T H
2006-11-10, 9:51 PM #12
Also very true. I know I won't be shelling out money for a PS3 until I get some good hands on time and have a lot of stuff to read about it too.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-10, 9:52 PM #13
Fanboy.

o.0
2006-11-10, 9:53 PM #14
Maybe if you didnt pounce on his opinion? Don't tell me youre not either, "Van Dork" for example.

Its a PS3 Kiosk. He saw it, he posted what he thought about the game he saw. Its not such a big deal...
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-11-10, 9:59 PM #15
Quote:
if I played a game chopping onions for 10 minutes on the Rev, and I said I wouldn't spend 250 bucks on it, how do you think people like [clever insult that makes my e-peen grow] would react?

I would act shocked and I would say "How the hell did you chop onions in Excite Truck?!"
2006-11-10, 10:00 PM #16
Originally posted by MBeggar:
"Van Dork" for example.

I coined that, you know? I should get royalties.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-11-10, 10:33 PM #17
He just giving you his first impressions. You don't have to stab his face.
2006-11-10, 10:50 PM #18
He's Yoshi.. 'course he does.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-11-10, 11:34 PM #19
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]HAHAHAHAhahah! See what he did there? Ahahaha, you are so clever tofu. Go to hell.[/QUOTE]
So you did.
2006-11-10, 11:35 PM #20
Yes, and after that I gave your mother a golden shower. Go away.
2006-11-10, 11:42 PM #21
Originally posted by Greenboy:
Fanboy.

Aww, I almost care what you think.

Wait, no, I don't.

If it makes me a fanboy to say that an opinion based on a 10 minute experience with some ****ty Sony racing game is worthless as far as assessing the value of an entire console, so be it.

Originally posted by MBeggar:
Maybe if you didnt pounce on his opinion? Don't tell me youre not either, "Van Dork" for example.

Its a PS3 Kiosk. He saw it, he posted what he thought about the game he saw. Its not such a big deal...

See, I don't care if he posts what he thinks...except for the assessment on if the console is worth it or not. Seriously, that's like me assessing the value of the Xbox through some motorcross game. It's inane.

[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]I would act shocked and I would say "How the hell did you chop onions in Excite Truck?!"[/QUOTE]
You...don't. And your stupid attempt at a joke fell flat. There's a cooking game slated for the Rev, though I don't know if it's for release or not. Surprising that the fanboy himself doesn't know this.

[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]He just giving you his first impressions. You don't have to stab his face.[/QUOTE]
It's not the impressions I'm bothered with--notice my ACTUAL POST. Read it. It's one "impression" which is obviously a passe attempt at passing on his fanboyish attitude. He didn't even pretend to be impartial. It was actually almost pathetic.
D E A T H
2006-11-10, 11:54 PM #22
Ps2 > Ps3
2006-11-11, 12:03 AM #23
Quote:
You...don't. And your stupid attempt at a joke fell flat. There's a cooking game slated for the Rev, though I don't know if it's for release or not. Surprising that the fanboy himself doesn't know this.

Rev = Wii

cooking game = Cooking Mama. I have it on the DS and I can't wait for it on the Wii.

Yes, I knew about it. I was playing dumb, just in case you couldn't tell.

Quote:
It's not the impressions I'm bothered with--notice my ACTUAL POST. Read it. It's one "impression" which is obviously a passe attempt at passing on his fanboyish attitude. He didn't even pretend to be impartial. It was actually almost pathetic.

What the hell? Oh my god. Stop talking. This wasn't an issue of being a fanboy, this was an issue of me playing a console and posting what worked and what didn't work. My god, get your head out of your crack.

Also, get the hell out of the thread. You know, you turn every single thread you post on into a debate and a flame war. The 8 times (Or whatever number it is now) that you've been banned, during that time there have been NO arguments on the forums. Funny how that works, huh? Just be lucky they don't permaban anymore. You should have been on your way out a few times now. Stop posting. You want to be a jerk to someone? You want to start fights? PM the people your lame arguments. Keep it off the forums. You make this place unenjoyable for the other people on the forums. Shut up with your tea, kettle, black crap. No body buys it. Leave.
2006-11-11, 12:08 AM #24
[quote=Victor Van Dort]I was playing dumb, just in case you couldn't tell.
[/quote]

"Playing"?? Rofl burnsauce.

(Just getting to it before someone else inevitably does).
2006-11-11, 12:50 AM #25
Careful, Billy. There's trolls about.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-11, 1:40 AM #26
Dj-Yoshi: You're sort of over reacting. Everyone is, but the fault is on you. Victor definetly wasn't bashing, as he usually does. To act like you don't is a ****faced lie, SAJN. To pretend you're NOT usually a PS3 fanboy, Yoshi, is also pretty hilarious. Both of you need to reread both of your posts and level out a little.

Originally posted by Freelancer:
Careful, Billy. There's trolls about.

What the HELL was that post? I usually avoid redundant posts like the one I'm currently making, but SERIOUSLY freelancer. Stop doing that. You're no better than the person you point fingers at when you do **** like that, and that's why people don't like you. Stop trying so god damned hard.

Sorry for the holier than thou post, but I can't understand how you people can turn threads that DON'T have anything bluntly offensive in them into stupidity arguments where everyone's trying to act like fact and opinion are interchangeable words. They're not.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-11-11, 1:46 AM #27
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Both of you need to reread both of your posts and level out a little.

More like they need to get it over with and **** already.
2006-11-11, 2:29 AM #28
What the HELL was that post? I usually avoid redundant posts like the one I'm currently making, but SERIOUSLY freelancer. Stop doing that. You're no better than the person you point fingers at when you do **** like that, and that's why people don't like you. Stop trying so god damned hard.

That was one of the funniest posts in this thread.

And Yoshi, if you honestly dont care that I called you a fanboy, dont flip out so bad. Its only the internets, you dont need to have a mental overload every time someone says something to you that you think is not the correct opinion to hold.

o.0
2006-11-11, 6:40 AM #29
Haha!

Anyway, that seems fair. From what I hear, it's impossible to make games for the PS3, and that lots of developers are getting screwed over in their playstation contracts.

Despite that, I still think some of the games coming out for the PS3. White Knight Story is a great example, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm a big japanese RPG nut (Not those creepy free PC ones though. Good god.)

I'm just gonna ignore the majority of this thread because it's turned into zoo.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-11-11, 6:53 AM #30
Anyways, I think I've made my point about why I "overreacted".

Kirby--I do have a bias towards the PS3. That much I will admit. But I'm NOT a fanboy. I've admitted on many occassions that Sony's ****ed up, that there's a great chance the PS3 might fail, etc etc. I've met Sony fanboys...they're the kind of people that give anime fanboys a good name.
D E A T H
2006-11-11, 8:31 AM #31
Updated impressions: PS3 SUX LOL! NINTENDO FTW!
2006-11-11, 8:38 AM #32
A. Yoshi hates when anyone else gives any sort of bad press about the PS3, regardless of what it is or how little it matters.
B. Yoshi finds it necessary to insult said persons who attempt to inform everyone of their opinions, even when stated as just that.
C. It's not called the Revolution. It's called the Wii. You aren't "fighting" the system, you aren't going to change their minds, and you certainly aren't cool. It's the same idea behind micro$soft vs microsoft. You just look like an elitist.
D. You're a PS3 fanboy that tries to cover up his fanboyism with half-hearted attempts to admit the PS3's weaknesses.
E. You're restating the obvious and pretty much copying word for word what the original post said. I believe that's called spamming.

↑ Up to the top!