Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → StarForce help
StarForce help
2006-11-11, 5:31 AM #1
I just received my copy of Sudeki in the mail (I was bored and it looked interesting). After I'd installed it, I went to play for the first time and the StarForce logo sprung up saying it was installed correctly. I remembered all the warnings I'd heard about StarForce on these forums and went straight to Google to look for removal software, but the only thing that seems to come up is the program StarForce themselves are offering. The problem is, it seems to imply that if I remove StarForce then it'll take the game off too. Will it? If so, is there any ways around it so I can keep my game and not StarForce?

I'm also a little confused because according to them StarForce doesn't cause any damage, which is completely at odds with what I remember reading.
2006-11-11, 5:59 AM #2
I had similar concerns when I installed Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory a while back.

If I remember right, the allegations against Starforce were not confirmed. Also, I'm pretty sure that removing it will keep your game from running. Just play your game, and when you're done, run this tool:

http://onlinesecurity-on.com/downloads/sfdrvrem.zip

For the record, I didn't have any problems with Starforce, but when I was done, I uninstalled the game and ran the tool anyway.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-11-11, 6:06 AM #3
Fair enough. Thanks for the reply :)
2006-11-11, 6:10 AM #4
Find a CD crack for the game then use StarForce removal tools, which you can find at places
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-11-11, 6:14 AM #5
Also a good idea. I didn't consider that.
2006-11-11, 8:29 AM #6
If your CD drive stops working suddenly (doesn't show in Explorer) and Device Manager says another service that provides services for the driver isn't working or something, it's likely one of these things (StarForge or iTunes' thing or something) that broke.

You either need to find a tool to help with removing the references to those things from the drivers or you need to go into the registry yourself and modify the driver entries, which is a tad complex (hint: the only upper/lower class filter that is standard is PxHelp).

2006-11-11, 8:40 AM #7
That won't be a problem if I removed the StarForce drivers already, will it?
2006-11-11, 8:42 AM #8
I hear that StarForce rapes your parents when you sleep.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-11, 9:36 AM #9
I can't wait for Vista to come out and none of the driver-based copy protection programs work anymore!
2006-11-11, 9:45 AM #10
I have had no problems (yet, anyway) with Starforce on my system (nor my uncle's). Have Chaos Theory & Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood installed.
woot!
2006-11-11, 9:47 AM #11
Or the antivirus programs. Or anything at all, really. The only things that will still be able to hook the system like that are the viruses...
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-11, 9:49 AM #12
Not even them. Apparently Vista uses some hideous magic to randomize the internal kernel ABI on install.

You'll still get viruses and spyware, just probably not rootkits. At least for a little while.
2006-11-11, 9:56 AM #13
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Not even them. Apparently Vista uses some hideous magic to randomize the internal kernel ABI on install.

You'll still get viruses and spyware, just probably not rootkits. At least for a little while.

Yeah..like a few weeks before the retail release rather than a couple of months, right? :P
woot!
2006-11-13, 1:15 PM #14
Originally posted by LividDK27:
I'm also a little confused because according to them StarForce doesn't cause any damage, which is completely at odds with what I remember reading.

yeah, and sony BMG said that their rootkit wouldnt do any damage either. :rolleyes:
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-11-13, 1:27 PM #15
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]If your CD drive stops working suddenly (doesn't show in Explorer) and Device Manager says another service that provides services for the driver isn't working or something, it's likely one of these things (StarForge or iTunes' thing or something) that broke.

You either need to find a tool to help with removing the references to those things from the drivers or you need to go into the registry yourself and modify the driver entries, which is a tad complex (hint: the only upper/lower class filter that is standard is PxHelp).[/QUOTE]

Oh crap, my CDR stopped working around the time I messed around trying to get rid of iTunes. Do you have any links on hand of tools to get it running again?
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."

↑ Up to the top!