Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Games you'd want to rediscover
Games you'd want to rediscover
2006-11-12, 12:10 PM #1
I think there's at least one game every person has played before, loved, and wanted to play through again. The only problem is that after the first time, some of these games lose a little of their magic. Or maybe they had playtimes of 80+ hours (or something ridiculously long) and you just don't have the time anymore. Or for whatever other reason, you just can't bring yourself to start them again.

For me, this game was Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I drew this game out as much as possible; every sidequest (including the epic and quirky Man Festival), optional item or fusion was tracked down. Not only did it have a refreshing tweak on the traditional RPG battle system with the combo system and Judgment Ring, it was beautiful to look at and incredibly touching. Not only with the events of the storyline, but also with the little background touches and interactions (such as Yuri teaching Blanca the 'shake hands' trick in the background of an otherwise serious conversation). Particularly after playing the original Shadow Hearts and seeing the development of the recurring characters. Covenant also pulled off something which certainly many RPG's of it's type don't: every character was useful, and I found myself using all of them frequently rather than having one of them sit in the sidelines for the whole game. This was mostly because every character was customiseable due to the Judgment Ring system, which was used to determine the success of attacks, item usage, and spells. This could have extra "hit" and "strike" zones attached or enlarged, the speed of the meter increased or decreased (with both benefits and drawbacks), among other effects.

Sadly, the fact that I played it so thoroughly on my first play through means I no longer have any real reason to do a second game. Like I said previously, I collected everything and used all of the characters in many different combinations, so all that's left is reliving the story. What with all the plot twists revealed, character development explored, and gorgeous FMVs watched, even that wasn't enough to keep me hooked when I started New Game+ (basically, the original game but you start with all of your fusions and skills from your clear save). Plus, what with other things coming up when I restarted, I couldn't invest the time in playing a huge game I'd already completed. All in all, Shadow Hearts: Covenant is a game I would love to be able to play through again with no memory of my first time with it.

So, that's some of my thoughts on one of my tragically favourite games of all time. Anyone else here have a similar experience to share?
2006-11-12, 12:13 PM #2
Well, I've attempted to start Deus Ex again from the beginning few times, but all I can think nowadays is how some conversation may have been designed, what kind of properties some item might have and how nothing actually exists behind a certain wall. I guess editing something and discovering "the truth" takes away some of the "magic" you get when you play something.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-12, 12:36 PM #3
I actually just reinstalled MechWarrior 3 after probably three or four years. And honestly, it's just as fun as I remember it.
2006-11-12, 12:39 PM #4
I'd like to play Red Faction and AEII again but I can't find my damn CDs!!! The two games that I want to reinstall out of all the others and they are the only two missing!
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2006-11-12, 12:42 PM #5
Half Life.
Exploring San An might be fun again. That always was the funniest part of GTA..
2006-11-12, 12:59 PM #6
I'd love to replay Mafia again sometime, but like you said, it might not be something I could do a second time. Mafia was well crafted like a good movie, and doesn't have the random replayability that games like GTA have.
2006-11-12, 1:15 PM #7
Asheron's Call, 1999. I wish it was frozen the way it started.
2006-11-12, 1:21 PM #8
Troll Stomping.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-11-12, 11:33 PM #9
Call of Duty, Deus Ex, and Splinter Cell

I played the PC Gamer demo of Call of Duty and knew that I had to have it. It was that cinematic feel of utter chaos portrayed through scripted events. There was nothing like hiding behind a dead cow to save myself from enemy machine guns. Unfortunately, it's hard to go back and relive the experience because everything is so scripted. Now when I play I have to find some new way to do it. The Realism Mod was great, for one, but it's still not the same.

I also played Splinter Cell for the first time through the PC Gamer demo disc. It was the police station level (the second) in it's entirety. I played that level over and over again until I got the full game. From that time onward I started sneaking up on people and grabbing them from behind. (I'd always been quiet, but it had never occured to me to grab people).

Of course there's Deus Ex, which is starting to lose it's novelty (after several playthroughs). I harbor the hope that there's still stuff in that game that I haven't found (there probably is).

Oh, also, does anyone know of an oldschool side scrolling ninja game? I think it's name had somethign to do with Buddha, but I can't really remember. In several levels you had to fight zombies. My sister and I spent a long time on that game and I want to find it.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-11-12, 11:37 PM #10
CoD, Dark Forces. (I need to play through DF. When I played it before, I always got too scared because I was too young).
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-12, 11:51 PM #11
Last spring I decided to play through Suikoden again and try to get all 108 people so I could unlock a thing in Suikoden 2 and get all 108 there on the play through of that i was planning.

I missed getting the last person because of triggering an event i didn't know i wasn't supposed to trigger before getting him.

Haven't touched it since because of that, otherwise I'd love to play it again
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-11-12, 11:54 PM #12
Also, Shogo: Mobile Armor Division.

Damn Geforce problems. :mad:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-13, 12:08 AM #13
Fallout.

I wanna see if I can talk the last boss into killing himself again. Also, I never played a female.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-11-13, 12:19 AM #14
Metal Gear Solid

I just recently got my hands on a copy of it again, so I'm gonna start playing that again.
2006-11-13, 12:22 AM #15
Resident Evil 4
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-11-13, 4:53 AM #16
Originally posted by Freelancer:
(When I played it before, I always got too scared because I was too young).

I'm so glad I'm not alone there.
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-11-13, 5:46 AM #17
shadow warrior

and dark forces
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-11-13, 6:22 AM #18
Monkey Island 1,2,3

Those were the best games I have ever played. Evar.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-11-13, 7:11 AM #19
Any games i've enjoyed the first time have never been disappointing the second time...

Streets of Rage 3 was disappointing the 10th time though, I got to the final boss and thought "hang on, this is crap".
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-13, 9:19 AM #20
Tekken 2.

Oh, and Crash Bandicoot.

I realise they're both still awesome, but they were even better back in the day.
nope.
2006-11-13, 9:47 AM #21
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Also, Shogo: Mobile Armor Division.

Damn Geforce problems. :mad:

Shogo was quality.

Mantrain approves of this post.
2006-11-13, 10:48 AM #22
Oh wait...
Sly Cooper.
Dammit i wish they didn't end it...
I WANT IT TO NEVER END ARRRG!
2006-11-13, 3:29 PM #23
I have the urge to play Oregon Trail sometime this week.

It's been a few years since I played Earthbound. Really need to play that again. It's by far my favorite RPG.

I play through the original Pokemon every few months. The later versions all suck (except gold, which was alright), but the original has somehow remained fun.

I was listening to Halo's soundtrack the other day, and now I want to play that story again. Sadly, I don't own an Xbox.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-11-13, 3:34 PM #24
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Well, I've attempted to start Deus Ex again from the beginning few times, but all I can think nowadays is how some conversation may have been designed, what kind of properties some item might have and how nothing actually exists behind a certain wall. I guess editing something and discovering "the truth" takes away some of the "magic" you get when you play something.

This is exactly what has happened with gaming for me over the last couple years. Though I have discovered console gaming to be a tad more fun as of late.
2006-11-13, 8:57 PM #25
Morrowind.

After the first few times, it just became a rush for the powerful items.
2006-11-13, 9:02 PM #26
I wish I could do this, but with books. And movies.

But as far as games, I'd like to reexperience FF9 and Ocarina of Time.
2006-11-13, 9:12 PM #27
Dark Forces. I tried playing it again, but HTF do you play a shooter without strafe keys?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-11-13, 9:46 PM #28
Dark Forces, though I don't have any computers that can run it. And Full Throttle. . .where I have the same problem. Though I just found my old copy of Monkey island 3 and I intend to play it soon.

Oh. And Hugo's House of Horror. Oh, and Commander Keen.
My blawgh.
2006-11-13, 9:48 PM #29
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Particularly the moment Link runs through the tunnel, then steps foot in Hyrule Field for the first time. For that day, it as gorgeous and amazing. The whole game seemed epic and grand, and it was the first Zelda game in 3D.
2006-11-13, 11:27 PM #30
[QUOTE=Chaz Ghostle]
I was listening to Halo's soundtrack the other day, and now I want to play that story again. Sadly, I don't own an Xbox.[/QUOTE]
Thats why its out for PC, too (with many perks to having it on PC, like new maps, weapons, and vehicles... well, maybe not NEW vehicles... but new to multiplayer)
Speaking of which, I would want to play Mech Warrior 2. Oh man... the first 3d video game I ever owned... I think. good times. (stupid computers are too new for the game. XP refuses to run it)
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-11-13, 11:54 PM #31
Xbox version is essential for story mode coop. Need to be sitting on the couch as we both blow away space zombies with shotguns.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."

↑ Up to the top!