Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Component cables :(
Component cables :(
2006-11-12, 1:49 PM #1
I want to play my Wii on my computer monitor. It's a 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor, and it has a DVI and VGA connection on it. I want to hook up my Wii component cables to my monitor so I can play Widescreen and 480p. I wanted to buy this , but someone told me that it wouldn't work at all and that I needed to purchase this instead. Help :(
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-12, 1:53 PM #2
Yeah that first one wouldn't work, you would need the second one you mentioned.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2006-11-12, 2:11 PM #3
The first one is designed to fit onto a computer video card. It shorts two pins on the connector, causing the video card to output a component video signal. That's about it.

You will need to buy the VGA box.
2006-11-12, 5:15 PM #4
Wait. The Wii may have a direct VGA or DVI out. But currently it's only a rumor (I think the Japanese version has it as a confirmed feature??? not sure).

2006-11-12, 5:48 PM #5
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]Wait. The Wii may have a direct VGA or DVI out. But currently it's only a rumor (I think the Japanese version has it as a confirmed feature??? not sure).[/QUOTE]
It does not have VGA or DVI out.
2006-11-13, 6:05 PM #6
Either way, when you find out how well it works, let us know! I was looking at those once upon a time. Kinda interested in it. But now I'm a little out of money. Anyhow, would a video tuner card be able to play live video from something like an Xbox onto a computer monitor through my PC? The thing I'm getting isn't a video tuner. It actually comes with Pinnacle Studio 10. Will the card in this link work? I should probably just wait for it to arrive and then figure it out myself but I am too inquisitive and must resort to pestering my fellow massassians.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-11-13, 7:19 PM #7
stop
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-11-13, 7:49 PM #8
Stop....What?
2006-11-14, 4:26 AM #9
Glad I got an Xbox 360. I've got it hooked up to an old 17" CRT monitor but I plan on getting this $412 HDTV in the near future.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
2006-11-14, 4:34 AM #10
360s look crazy good on a HD TV :eek:

Previous gen to next-gen was a step up graphics wise, and 1080i is a step up again.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-11-14, 5:03 AM #11
My housemate bought a sony bravia tv for his 360, he has too much money for his own good. I suggested he spend his money on something more worthwhile, like hookers.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-14, 5:35 AM #12
You might be able to get that first one to work if you got a cable with a female end on it shouldn't you?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-11-14, 7:38 PM #13
Why is one called the male end and one the female end :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
2006-11-14, 8:42 PM #14
I dunno if you were serious or not, Steven, but it's because the connectors resemble the particular functions of a "male" and "female" :p
2006-11-15, 8:37 AM #15
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
You might be able to get that first one to work if you got a cable with a female end on it shouldn't you?

nope, read jon's post
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2006-11-15, 10:06 AM #16
Component video and VGA/DVI-A use two completely different signals too. Component video is YCbCr which is a weighted vector colorspace synchronized on Y. VGA/DVI-A uses a flat RGB colorspace with a separate synchronization pin. It's possible to build a device to convert YCbCr to RGB but synchronization timing would still be carried on Y, meaning you would need a sync-on-green monitor. A database of sync-on-green monitors can be found here: http://playstation2-linux.com/sog.php

So, as I just said, you will need to buy the VGA box.
2006-11-15, 1:14 PM #17
blah.. I would try it anyway. Rather than read all that and try to understand it.. I would just try it and see what happened.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"

↑ Up to the top!