Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → US removed radioactive material from Iraq
US removed radioactive material from Iraq
2004-07-06, 10:46 PM #1
1.77 metric tons (that's 1.95 American tons and 1.74 imperial tons) of enriched uranium and about 1000 "highly radioactive sources" were removed from Iraq by the US in a secret operation in June. The material was in a former nuclear research facility.

The publicized information doesn't prove Saddam had a nuclear program or WMDs at the ready, but it does show that he had access to enriched uranium.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3872201.stm
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-07-06, 11:14 PM #2
Bah, you are just lying. It's all wrong. Saddam was a nice guy. Down with Bush!

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-07-07, 4:03 AM #3
Or perhaps it's part of the 300 tonnes of depleted uranium from the US that's caused a 300% increase in all cancer rates in Iraq.

[This message has been edited by Mort-Hog (edited July 07, 2004).]
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-07, 7:30 AM #4
thats bullish man. this whole war was a lie...dont start topics about ish, and then there wont be no ish...ya dig

------------------
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
2004-07-07, 7:34 AM #5
Bush can do no wrong when it comes to Iraq. [/flame bait] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-07, 7:35 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YesSir:
thats bullish man. this whole war was a lie...dont start topics about ish, and then there wont be no ish...ya dig

</font>

what is ish? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
yay for not posting much ever
2004-07-07, 7:52 AM #7
ish = "bad word" alternate for feces.

------------------
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-07-07, 7:57 AM #8
what ever that dude said mayne

------------------

[This message has been edited by YesSir (edited July 07, 2004).]
2004-07-07, 8:00 AM #9
I see a ban on the horizon...

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-07-07, 8:02 AM #10
ditto...its comin this way

------------------
Why Did the Chicken Cross The Road?

>>The Bible's Answer:
And God came down from the heavens, and He said unto the chicken, "Thou shalt cross the road." And the chicken crossed the road, and there was much rejoicing.
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2004-07-07, 8:19 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
ish = "bad word" alternate for feces.

</font>

Hmm... thats an odd replacement. To me it sounds more like something a baby would say. Seems like you could use crap and get the same effect.

But yeah...not this thread is off topic. Move along...

------------------
2004-07-07, 8:21 AM #12
its change it back to the subject then. I would then now like to offer a formal apology. Where did iraq get htis uranium from

------------------
2004-07-07, 8:34 AM #13
russia, korea, any random country with a mine and lack of money

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-07-07, 11:01 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
russia, korea, any random country with a mine and lack of money

</font>

You can probably add Britain and America to that list too.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-07, 11:26 AM #15
I don't think Britain has any Uranium deposits...do they?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 11:28 AM #16
I need them for my time machine.

>.>
<.<

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-07, 11:33 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Or perhaps it's part of the 300 tonnes of depleted uranium from the US that's caused a 300% increase in all cancer rates in Iraq.

[This message has been edited by Mort-Hog (edited July 07, 2004).]
</font>

Except this is clearly enriched Uranium. durrrr but thats what you meant, right?

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-07-07, 12:14 PM #18
Hey it's our toy, we just lent it to them. They should give it back when we ask!

------------------
2004-07-07, 12:16 PM #19
Canada produces about 1/3 of the world's uranium.
hmmm...

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-07-07, 12:51 PM #20
They've got nothing else to do..

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-07-07, 1:31 PM #21
mabye they found a mine and they want people to think that it was for weapons.

how do they know saddam wasn't planning to build a nuclear power plant for one of his many palaces.

------------------
Those silly bullets have minds of their own!
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)--@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-07-07, 1:58 PM #22
Why would Saddam need a nuclear power plant? Do you have any idea what that country's main export is? *cough*

------------------
2004-07-07, 2:35 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Evad:
Canada produces about 1/3 of the world's uranium.
hmmm...

</font>

Yes, yes we do.... In fact, my high school has a big chunk of relatively pure uranium ore that the physics and chemistry teachers like to take out and show everybody every once in a while... Makes for an interesting demonstration with a geiger counter (click... click... click... *takes lead sheet off uranium* BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ)

Anyways, my chemistry teacher said they were going to get rid of it, and I asked for it, but I'm not allowed to have it :-( (I was going to use it for a pool heater - just throw it in and BAM! Instant heat!)

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-07-07, 2:41 PM #24
Seriously. Think about it, the most ruthless terror of the modern world imports uranium, and you think he'd be building a nuclear powerplant? I'm willing to bet just one would power his entire country, and that sounds like a helluva lot more uranium than is in one powerplant.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 3:06 PM #25
It only takes a few kilos of enriched Uranium to power a reactor. Less if it is truly "weapons grade."

The claim of "tons" seems dubious to me. Fissible Uranium (U-235) makes up only 0.7% of all uranium in the world (normally U-238). The U-235 has to be artificially increased. I imagine the Uranium had to have come from a relatively developed country, and would have cost a lot.

It could also be U-233 made from thorium-238, but I don't think that's weapons-grade, just fissible, and the artical would have mentioned if it was Plutonium.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-07-07, 3:47 PM #26
The "tons" figure probably includes the protective containers it is in (made of lead [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif].

------------------
2004-07-07, 8:28 PM #27
Iraq used to have 11 tonnes of low grade uranium registered with UNSCOM, I'm not sure who's applied the label of "enriched" uranium to this along the line and they don't list any U-235 concentrations in the article, but it's not HEU.

↑ Up to the top!