Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I hate the NetZero dialer
I hate the NetZero dialer
2006-11-15, 8:20 PM #1
Actually I hate their entire service. But seeing as I don't handle the money in the house, I'm stuck with it until someone else gets completely sick of it. Which isn't likely anytime soon, since no one uses it as much as I do.

In short, I'm sick of their craptacular dialer crashing and taking my connection with it, disconnecting me for little apparently reason every three hours. Sick of the software vanishing into thin air and taking my connection with it. The software crashing, disconnecting me, but continuing to run and then refusing to quit, requiring me to force the ******* to die Ctrl-Alt-Del style. Of course, doing that for some ungodly reason means that it won't run EVER again until you reboot. Oh, and when you reboot, it hangs the computer.

In short, all of my problems with their damn service stem mostly from their ****ty software.

Now to the point of all this.

I've searched for almost 2 weeks now for a way to use the built in Windows Dial Up Networking as opposed to their software. So far, I've come up with almost nothing, yet I'm pretty sure it can be done. I remember someone telling me you could do it here awhile back. I've tried the obvious "Input all pertanent information into Dial Up networking and hit connect" thing. It'll connect alright, but won't let me go anywhere because I'm not using their bloody software. So it'd seem as though I need a way to circumvent that. Trick it into thinking I'm using their software, when I'm not, and hopefully get a more stable, less ****ty connection in the process.

Ideas?

Crap about changing providers or going broadband is not welcome. I don't run the money. I've pestered as much as I can. Hasn't helped. So keep it to yourself.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-11-15, 8:36 PM #2
You can use the Windows dialer, but I believe you have to use some special hash value created using your password instead of your normal password.

There are programs that claim to generate these values for you but I never found one that worked.

Fortunately I have no need for ZeroNet anymore.

2006-11-15, 8:41 PM #3
They might also have a proxy that you'll need to set your browser to use.
2006-11-16, 8:38 AM #4
I'll worry about the proxy later, if there even is one. How do I even begin to search for a way to make this hash value?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2006-11-16, 10:13 AM #5
Everyone knows... All searches must begin with Google.

***Below, I'm going to do exactly what you asked us not to do, but in a constructive manner***

I mean, come on. NetZero? Even for low-cost internet you can do so much better.

Check out this website for some low cost internet solutions:

http://www.getisp.info/dial-up.html

Also, depending on where you live you might even be able to get DSL for about the same price as what you're paying for dial up.

http://www.sbc.com/gen/general?pid=7709&CI=BEFREE_HSIA&RI=379&RD=37922269

only 14.99 for speeds up to 768 Kbps. Not exactly blazing fast, but certainly much better than dialup.

[note: this information was provided to you as a means to give you some ammo in your fight for a better ISP. By reading your post, it's obviously not your decision, but you may be able to show your parents (or whover runs that) some of the websites I've shown you]
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-11-16, 7:17 PM #6
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Everyone knows... All searches must begin with Google.

Gee... Thanks... I wouldn't ask a question like that if I hadn't already gone looking, which I have, and I found little, which is why I'm curious to know what I SHOULD search for.
Last Stand
2006-11-16, 8:01 PM #7
This is not a topic permitted by Massassi's rules and guidelines.

↑ Up to the top!