Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So I bought some Nintendo shares a few months ago....
So I bought some Nintendo shares a few months ago....
2006-11-15, 8:47 PM #1
...at $25.20 a share. The stock as of today is $28.55. Cool. Unfortunately I only bought 10 shares :(

33.5 dollars! Yay!

I honestly didn't know where I was going with this. Just thought I'd share. Post stock things!

/blog :psyduck:
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-15, 9:05 PM #2
Mmmmkay.
2006-11-15, 9:12 PM #3
You'd have been on to something if you had 1000 shares or something.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-15, 9:16 PM #4
I know :( Damn my lack of funds.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-15, 9:19 PM #5
that would be like a 25000 dollar investment.

I'm sitting on 1 grand right now :(
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-11-15, 9:57 PM #6
I wish I had bought Google stock right after their IPO.

But as they say, you can never go wrong investing in a bank. They are the only business that is always garanteed to make money.
Stuff
2006-11-16, 1:14 AM #7
I am ****ing kicking my own *** for not investing in DJO. My dad has done electrical work for the company ever since it was 50x100 foot building. That company grew leaps and bounds. I would have made bank on that company. Grrrr! :argh:
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-11-16, 5:01 AM #8
I have employee shares for the place where I work, they went up almost 10% yesterday on the back of a better than expected result for last financial year. Yay!

The employee share plan is really good - you buy shares and the company matches your investment 1:1. So unless the share price halves in the next 12 months you're guaranteed you make a profit.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-11-16, 5:36 AM #9
Psh I wish I'd put stock in Google when it first hit the market. I knew it'd fly, and of course, it did.
2006-11-16, 7:01 AM #10
If I had a nickel for every time I wished I could see the future I probably wouldn't need to peer into the future to be rich anymore. :psyduck:
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2006-11-16, 10:03 AM #11
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Psh I wish I'd put stock in Google when it first hit the market. I knew it'd fly, and of course, it did.[/QUOTE]
yeah, except that it opened at $100 a share, which basically meant that the only people who could afford to make tons of money off of google, were people that already had tons of money anyway.

Useless.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-11-16, 10:22 AM #12
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
yeah, except that it opened at $100 a share, which basically meant that the only people who could afford to make tons of money off of google, were people that already had tons of money anyway.

Useless.

http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/lcddata.html?ticker=GOOG <--Except it's at 500 bucks a share now, and it's already split once iirc. Meaning even if you only bought ONE stock, you'd have made 1000 dollars.
D E A T H
2006-11-16, 10:28 AM #13
true dat.

I'm just griping.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-11-16, 11:08 AM #14
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/lcddata.html?ticker=GOOG <--Except it's at 500 bucks a share now, and it's already split once iirc. Meaning even if you only bought ONE stock, you'd have made 1000 dollars.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it split? I never heard anything about it splitting. Regardless, it would have been an awesome buy, regardless of what it started at.
2006-11-16, 3:16 PM #15
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Are you sure it split? I never heard anything about it splitting. Regardless, it would have been an awesome buy, regardless of what it started at.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure. Not 100%. I'm fairly sure I remember hearing something on TWiT about it.
D E A T H
2006-11-16, 3:22 PM #16
GOOG has not split.

Also, even if you knew what was going to happen, you wouldn't have been able to get in the IPO. IPO's are generally invite only (which is ironic, considering what the P stands for). Google offered so many shares, and each broker gets to choose who they want to allow entry into the IPO, depending on amount of funds to be invested, lenght of time with the broker, a lot of things.

An IPO is a lengthy, complicated process that involves one (or several) underwriters, investment banks, offers, counter-offers, and brokerages.

The IPO price was significantly lower than the market opening price.

You need to have lots of money to get into an IPO, or be your own brokerage, which also costs lots of money.
2006-11-16, 10:58 PM #17
I'm not really into stocks right now, but I am looking into foreign currency exchange.
2006-11-16, 11:51 PM #18
Has anyone ever told you how ridiculous your sig is, Page?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-17, 12:43 AM #19
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Has anyone ever told you how ridiculous your sig is, Page?

*points to freelancer*
Because if you haven't, here's 2 people who will.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-11-17, 2:55 AM #20
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
I am ****ing kicking my own *** for not investing in DJO. My dad has done electrical work for the company ever since it was 50x100 foot building. That company grew leaps and bounds. I would have made bank on that company. Grrrr! :argh:

Mmmyes, partaking in some idle stock discussion are we? I'm surprised someone of your stature has time to take from his 11 o'clock golf session and 3 o'clock carriage ride through the park to post messages about these things, mmmyes. Anyway, cheerio good sir.
Attachment: 14572/snobass.jpg (43,802 bytes)
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-11-17, 8:24 AM #21
I bought 5 shares of google at 375 2 months ago and now its 495. :)
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-11-17, 9:28 AM #22
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
I'm not really into stocks right now, but I am looking into foreign currency exchange.

The forex market is a great way to make some cash, and fast. It's not massive amounts, but it's fast and relatively easy, although very dangerous. I've been trading forex since, oh, March? I stopped with stock market entirely last June and am now a dedicated forex trader.

PM me if you ever have any questions!

↑ Up to the top!