Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → ATTN: Britassians, I need your help
ATTN: Britassians, I need your help
2006-11-19, 2:47 PM #1
So it looks like my family (myself included) will be spending the holidays in the fabulous UK. The Plan is to spend several days in and around London, and a few around Stratford-upon-Avon, and the rest of my family is probably going to be going around and doing all the normal tourist stuff.

I however, would like to skip out on the normal touristy stuff as mutch as possible, as such I am turning to my dear friends here on Massassi (both those who live in the UK, and those who have visited) for help.

I am looking for recommendations for such places to go, things to do, and other locations of interest that might be a little off the beaten path, or otherwise overlooked by your stereotypical tourist. I am especially interested in places that might be of exceptional interest to Massassians and geeks. Also, if there are any of the normal tourist traps that are really worth seeing or skipping I would love to know.

Any advice would be appreciated!
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-11-19, 2:58 PM #2
[QUOTE=West Wind] exceptional interest to Massassians and geeks. [/QUOTE]

Why bother going to another country if you're just going to geek out there too?

Live a little.
2006-11-19, 3:07 PM #3
Originally posted by Rob:
Why bother going to another country if you're just going to geek out there too?

Live a little.

I’m talking about things like the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago.

Places that are of course unique to London and the UK, but happen to have extra attraction to geeks.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either

2006-11-19, 3:16 PM #4
It may be the biggest tourist trap known to man in England, but I still rather liked Stonehenge, and most all the castle-type and cathedral-type (like St. Paul's) places I visited. My only other possible suggestion would be the Camden Market in the London area. It's full of crazy who-knows-whats that you could probably get lost in and such. Also, I hear the Tate modern is pretty cool, but I didn't really get to see much of that.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-11-19, 3:22 PM #5
Personally I'd recommend just visiting Glasgow and Edinburgh, but you're going to England.
<Hawkeye> My Kidneys Were Expecting Orange Juice. Silly Kidneys.
2006-11-19, 3:40 PM #6
[QUOTE=West Wind]I’m talking about things like the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago.

Places that are of course unique to London and the UK, but happen to have extra attraction to geeks.[/QUOTE]

So which part of "just going to geek out there too" did you fail to grasp?
2006-11-19, 3:55 PM #7
[QUOTE=West Wind]So it looks like my family (myself included) will be spending the holidays in the fabulous UK. The Plan is to spend several days in and around London, and a few around Stratford-upon-Avon, and the rest of my family is probably going to be going around and doing all the normal tourist stuff.

I however, would like to skip out on the normal touristy stuff as mutch as possible, as such I am turning to my dear friends here on Massassi (both those who live in the UK, and those who have visited) for help.

I am looking for recommendations for such places to go, things to do, and other locations of interest that might be a little off the beaten path, or otherwise overlooked by your stereotypical tourist. I am especially interested in places that might be of exceptional interest to Massassians and geeks. Also, if there are any of the normal tourist traps that are really worth seeing or skipping I would love to know.

Any advice would be appreciated![/QUOTE]

London - Do the tourist stuff, its fun, I have to say after going there for the first time (yes the first time) about 3 years ago and going and playing the tourist game I was quite intregged by all the hype that people go on, do it, its unusual and very British :p

Stratford, well is a stone throw away from me and some one else who some of you might remember, Livingdeadjedi, again the whole Shakespeare is quite something, there are lots of tiny little shops that you can visit which have mini museums.

Other places to go, well depends on were else you are traveling around and about.
Flying over there some were...
2006-11-19, 5:47 PM #8
Well, the Science Museum in London strikes me as the obvious choice. It's a bit hit and miss I think, I've had a few great days there, but it depends what's on. Apparently from 21 October 2006 - 25 February 2007 (which I assume will include your holiday) they're doing Game On - a history of computer games, so presumably that's something that would interest you.

Also, at the British Library, which is across the road from where I work, I had my first true nerdgasm. I went over there on my lunch break one day and had a look around their Sir John Ritblat Gallery. It's a small display, a couple dozen or so cases with mainly ancient maps and religious texts, and also a few scientific manuscripts. I came across a letter from Newton to Robert Hooke. Their feud is something that I've studied both at college and university, and seeing an actual example of it just completely blew me away, especially as I've always had an interest in the history of science. So right there, in the British Library, amongst the tourists, on my lunch break, I just burst in to tears. It was really quite an experience.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2006-11-19, 7:53 PM #9
Stratford is just down the road from my house (literally a short bus journey), but i've never actually been there. Crazyness.

Warwick is very close to Stratford and has a good castle, also it's very close to Birmingham which is England's second city (sort of, most people don't like it but it's nice enough to visit).

Other than that...

Stonehenge is nice to look at but there's not much to it, i'd visit it on the way between London and Stratford rather than trying to make a day of it or anything.

Chedder Gorge is pretty nice, but it's in entirely the wrong part of the country.

If you want picturesque stuff you might want to try south Shropshire, there's Carding Mill Valley which is a really varied hill/valley place. Ironbridge is also in Shropshire and it's where the industrial revolution started.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-19, 10:03 PM #10
Unless you're staying to see plays (which you really should. Totally. I mean it) Stratford shouldn't take you more than a day, really. You can see all the historical Shakespeare stuff in one pretty easy day, especially if you use the bus tour.

(Disclaimer: I am American. I live in India. All I know about Stratford is what I learned during my half-week there a month ago)
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-11-20, 12:10 AM #11
Thanks! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, keep it coming.

Well, all except for Rob, who I encourage to take a good long stare at the “Post Reply” button, and NOT push it, again, ever.

2006-11-20, 3:38 AM #12
I agree with Smock, it will take you a Day for Stratford, Birmingham is much better since the new shopping centre has been done its just not as dirty and nasty as it used to be.
Flying over there some were...
2006-11-20, 4:20 AM #13
Go to Camden in Londinium, so awesome. We can laugh at the goths and foriegners.

You can eat chinese and buy strange glowing t-shirts from CyberDog.

London has the Science Museum, and for a minimal fee, you can witness a shooting/stabbing in the Somalian Quarters in the crappy areas of London, 2 months ago a Polish family got killed there.

SUCH A VIBRANT CITY!!! :argh: :confused: :D
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-11-20, 5:16 AM #14
You must do what I failed to! Spend a week in London trying to find Banksys!
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-11-20, 5:16 AM #15
Man, no-one ever says "I'm going on holiday to England. Let's visit Liverpool!" :( I mean, we're Capital of Culture for 2008. Plus, we've got the second largest amount of listed buildings in England after London, as well as this abomination. It's not fair!
2006-11-20, 8:08 AM #16
I would have said the Science Museum, because it's fun to push things and stuff. I think it appeals more when you're five. But yeah, that's already been mentioned.

I tend to stay away from touristy stuff, because it's expensive and it's pretty crap in my experience. But if you do decide to go for a wander in London and stray into the the Namco station, don't go downstairs on some Saturday evenings. Just a heads up.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-11-20, 8:36 AM #17
Originally posted by LividDK27:
Man, no-one ever says "I'm going on holiday to England. Let's visit Liverpool!"

There's several thousand reason for that, and they're all called scousers.
nope.
2006-11-20, 9:32 AM #18
Originally posted by Baconfish:
There's several thousand reason for that, and they're all called scousers.

haha!

that was mean
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2006-11-20, 7:28 PM #19
Originally posted by maevie:
haha!

that was mean
but true :p

I'm here trying to think up some interesting things to do but they've all been said (that I can think of). GameOn at the science museum is probably a must, I'll be going there are some point before February when it closes.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-11-21, 1:12 AM #20
Nothing wrong with us :(

↑ Up to the top!