Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Recommend a router?
Recommend a router?
2006-11-19, 3:13 PM #1
I need wireless internet so I can get wifi on my Wii. Please help me.
2006-11-19, 3:19 PM #2
[QUOTE=West Wind]Good luck, that's all I can say.

Buying a good Wireless router is one of the hardest things to do, and I can say this with confidence as I have dealt with more wireless hardware that I care to recall. Even if you do a S*** load of research and ask everybody you know, you will still probably end up with a pile of junk. The reason for this is two fold:

First: Most Wireless reviews only look at the router over a period of AT MAX 3 months, and on the whole most routers, except for the really really bad ones, behave just fine for the first few months. The real test is how well the router works after 6 months to a year.

Second: Virtually NONE of the major manufacturers of Wireless hardware actually make their own products, but to make things worse, they often don’t even enforce specifications on the companies who actually do make the hardware. This means that different revisions of single brand and model of wireless router might not only be made by entirely different companies, but might be built using entirely different chipsets, this means that while the Linksys SuperROUTER 9000 rev 4a might be great and reliable router, the Linksys SuperROUTER 9000 rev 5 might be a worthless pile of just that needs to be restarted hourly.

Overall, Most of the major manufactures are pretty equal, I recommended D-link simply because their tri-band routers have worked well for me in the past (but in all likelihood will not work well for others in the future). Just find the cheapest router that has the features you need/want, then check around online quickly to see if there are any MAJOR problems reported with it, then just buy it. In a year or so you’ll probably need to buy another one, but that’s just the name of the game.[/QUOTE]

So, I posted that back in april. I still have the same opinion. You buy a wireless router, and it will work for a year or two if your lucky, then it will fail. I've just come to accept that. We still use the D-link DWL-7100AP where I work, but that's probably just overkill for a Wii.

Anyway, good luck.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-11-19, 3:53 PM #3
My recommendation is the Linksys WRTG54G (or something like that), basically because you can hack the firmware to have a crapload more features.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-11-19, 4:24 PM #4
Avoid anything that isn't wireless G - this includes super G, pre-N, B, A, etc. It's junk, and not worth the money you spend on it.

My Netgear wireless router has yet to do me wrong, with the exception that it seems to cut wireless connections if you try to move over 2 GB of data through a single FTP download (I don't know if this is a bug or a security feature :v: )
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-11-19, 4:45 PM #5
Originally posted by mscbuck:
My recommendation is the Linksys WRTG54G (or something like that), basically because you can hack the firmware to have a crapload more features.

I have a WRT54G, and do like it very much. However, only versions before v5 can have the firmware upgraded. The v5 can too, but has limited memory, so not as many features can be enabled.
2006-11-19, 4:46 PM #6
just get wireless lan router. they will work too. even better, unlike the DS, the wii supports more than just WEP encoding so you dont even need to worry about people breaking into your computer. I am just gonna use my home's wireless network to use the internet on my wii once i get it in decomber.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-11-19, 6:45 PM #7
Originally posted by alpha1:
just get wireless lan router. they will work too. even better, unlike the DS, the wii supports more than just WEP encoding so you dont even need to worry about people breaking into your computer. I am just gonna use my home's wireless network to use the internet on my wii once i get it in decomber.

what the ****?

You could've summed up your whole post in four words: Get a wireless router
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-11-19, 6:53 PM #8
get a d link dude .
had mine 4 years and its still kickin ***.
either that or i jus got a good one.
2006-11-19, 7:11 PM #9
Wrt54g
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2006-11-19, 7:29 PM #10
When I sold network and wireless stuff at Fry's Electronics the best stuff out was Netgear, and probably still is. They generally had the best range/power and the best quality and firmware. I'm using a Netgear wired router and my brother is using a wireless version. Both were actually bought refurbished and haven't failed yet.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2006-11-19, 7:59 PM #11
Originally posted by NoESC:
Wrt54g

i agree
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2006-11-19, 8:22 PM #12
Originally posted by NoESC:
Wrt54g

Looks like crappy 1337 sp34k.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-11-19, 9:22 PM #13
google it
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2006-11-19, 10:39 PM #14
Linksys WRT54G. I own two of them and I love them.
2006-11-19, 10:41 PM #15
Looks like the WRT54G wins.

Thanks, gents.
2006-11-19, 11:11 PM #16
WRT54G wins.
D E A T H
2006-11-20, 3:52 AM #17
If this is for your Wii, why not just get Nintendo's USB WiFi Connector? That's my plan.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-11-20, 9:42 AM #18
Another vote for WRT54G. Well over a year of faithful service, plus when I get it it was cheaper than conventional routers after rebate :v:
2006-11-20, 10:47 AM #19
Because I don't have wireless, Chaz...
2006-11-20, 10:56 AM #20
Hate to break the trend, but if you already have a fully functional and happy wired network, you can just buy a Wireless Access Point (like the WAP54G from Linksys) and get wireless access to your existing network.

Sure, it doesn't have all the fancy features of a new WRT54G router, but if you already have a working router you are happy with, no reason to throw it away.

[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]Because I don't have wireless, Chaz...[/QUOTE]

And you don't understand what the Nintendo WiFi USB adapter is for. It plugs into your PC to provide wireless internet, it isn't to be plugged into the Wii >.>
2006-11-20, 11:03 AM #21
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]Because I don't have wireless, Chaz...[/QUOTE]

The USB WiFi Connector is for people that don't have wireless. You plug it into your computer's USB drive, and it acts as a WiFi hotspot with a distance of 35ft, using your computer's connection.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-11-20, 11:10 AM #22
Oh, well my PC is at one end of the house and my Wii at the other, so I need something more than just a 35ft-range USB trinket.
2006-11-20, 11:13 AM #23
Then read my post again >.> :p
2006-11-20, 12:37 PM #24
Originally posted by mscbuck:

I add my support to that
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2006-11-20, 1:20 PM #25
I've had enormous problems trying to find a WAP54G it in store, and the WRT54G's MSRP is $10 less anyway, so there's really no reason to get the WAP.

Plus there are usually enormous rebates and sales on the WRT.
2006-11-20, 1:37 PM #26
Huh, that's odd, it is cheaper. Well, whatev :p
2006-11-20, 3:58 PM #27
Wasn't Nintendo also going to release something that will just let you plug the Wii into a plain router as well? >.>;;
Seishun da!
2006-11-20, 4:06 PM #28
[QUOTE=Pedro T Hutt]Wasn't Nintendo also going to release something that will just let you plug the Wii into a plain router as well? >.>;;[/QUOTE]They're releasing a USB NIC in January.
2006-11-20, 5:13 PM #29
You can use a WRT54G as a WAP54G. Just turn off DHCP and plug your existing network into one of the 4 ports.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

↑ Up to the top!