Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Rep. Rangel wants to reinstate the draft
Rep. Rangel wants to reinstate the draft
2006-11-19, 8:27 PM #1
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/19/rangel.draft.ap/index.html

*shudder*
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-11-19, 8:33 PM #2
There's a better chance of me growing a vagina on my chest than our government reinstating the draft.
>>untie shoes
2006-11-19, 8:33 PM #3
Quote:
Rangel, a veteran of the Korean War who has unsuccessfully sponsored legislation on conscription in the past, said he will propose a measure early next year.

Luckily, he's a failure.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-19, 8:35 PM #4
I'd rather go to jail than be drafted.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-19, 8:52 PM #5
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I'd rather go to jail than be drafted.

twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-11-19, 9:14 PM #6
What a coincidence, I was about to suggest we reinstate the eating of Christians in arenas, and then expand the operation to include representatives.

-Crazy world we live in, huh?
2006-11-19, 9:21 PM #7
Well, if every citizen had an equal chance of being drafted into war we might actually think about the consequences before randomly invading countries.
Aquapark - Untitled JK Arena Level - Prism CTF
2006-11-19, 9:41 PM #8
This guy is a kakking moron.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
He was born in New York City and served in the United States Army from 1948 to 1952, earning a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for his service in the Korean War.

This explains it. He got shot up in Korea, went nuts, and now wants the rest of us to feel his pain.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-11-19, 9:46 PM #9
Isn't this tantamount to political suicide? Gone off the deep end a bit, eh?
2006-11-19, 10:23 PM #10
Good thing I'm gay.
2006-11-19, 10:51 PM #11
Ah, yes. If consciencous objection failed, I could always claim I was gay... or break my leg with a sledgehamer... or flee to Canada.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-20, 1:01 AM #12
I was asking around about how the gay thing interacted with the Draft thing. In wartime, a nation must band together. Thus, things like segregation and homophobia are abandonned in the face of our enemies.
In short, so long as you don't get caught blowing enemy soldiers, you're in, regardless.

-And I'll save my 3rd Amendment rant for later. In short, the draft is a blatant violation of the 3rd amendment.
2006-11-20, 1:12 AM #13
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
Isn't this tantamount to political suicide? Gone off the deep end a bit, eh?

Can't commit suicide twice.

Rangel's congressional district is basically Harlem. This will be a big hit with his constituency because he can cast it as sticking it to the rich white man.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-11-20, 1:13 AM #14
Originally posted by Jarl:
-And I'll save my 3rd Amendment rant for later. In short, the draft is a blatant violation of the 3rd amendment.

That's an interesting argument. The argument against the draft from the Thirteenth Amendment (no involuntary servitude) is easier to make, though.
2006-11-20, 1:28 AM #15
neither of those actually apply though...3rd amendment...just no. 13th...i suppose the argument could be made, but you still have the choice of prison.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-11-20, 1:35 AM #16
Originally posted by Ford:
neither of those actually apply though...3rd amendment...just no. 13th...i suppose the argument could be made, but you still have the choice of prison.

Saying "Well, you can serve, or we can throw you in jail" does not make the service voluntary.
2006-11-20, 1:43 AM #17
Surely there are some universal human rights laws against forcing people to fight?

I could accept being drafted if they were also "recruiting" people for supporting roles, such as communications, etc. I'm unfamiliar with the system, though.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2006-11-20, 3:39 AM #18
I could accept being drafted if they were going to draft women too.

You get to vote.
You get to have jobs.
You have equal rights.

You ought to be drafted just like us.
2006-11-20, 4:11 AM #19
I don't really care, I have to go through mandatory military service anyway >_<
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-20, 6:40 AM #20
I would only accept a draft on a temporary basis under the condition that our nation is facing an imminent threat. Like, an invasion force on our borders, not fake wars started by fundamentalist war mongers.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-11-20, 6:55 AM #21
The burgerarmy.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-11-20, 7:19 AM #22
Originally posted by Rob:
You ought to be drafted just like us.

your not being drafted, and only on a cold day in hell will you ever be. so pull your wedgie out.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2006-11-20, 7:28 AM #23
Originally posted by gbk:
This explains it. He got shot up in Korea, went nuts, and now wants the rest of us to feel his pain.

Actually, his motivation is this:

Originally posted by Article:
"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft, and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," Rangel said.

So, pretty much what Zojombize said.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-11-20, 8:54 AM #24
drafts dont prevent war, thay enhance it.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2006-11-20, 8:58 AM #25
Originally posted by Elana14:
drafts dont prevent war, thay enhance it.

Thay halp to prevnt teh war if congress parents ar afrid to put der childrn in ham's way.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-11-20, 9:37 AM #26
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]Can't commit suicide twice.[/QUOTE]

In 2003 (the time of the article) Democrats didn't control the house; this story took a backseat. It is signficant, and thus more harmful to Rangel, now because he is in a position of power and in the spotlight with this proposition.
2006-11-20, 10:14 AM #27
Originally posted by Jepman:

Thay halp to prevnt teh war if congress parents ar afrid to put der childrn in ham's way.

Please. A member of Congress' kid gets drafted and they use their political clout to get them assigned to some station nowhere near the war.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-20, 10:15 AM #28
Originally posted by Elana14:
your not being drafted, and only on a cold day in hell will you ever be. so pull your wedgie out.

I will NOT pull my wedgie out.

Earlier in the month, I was almost JAILED and FINED because I had not enlisted in the selective service program. A program I am now enrolled in TWICE. I was already enrolled once when I registered to vote. Meaning if and when they do decided to draft, I will have to go through the trouble of failing the physical twice.

To my disgust, at the bottom, in the biggest of boldest letters ever I read something akin to; "YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILL THE TOP PORTION OF THE FORM OUT IF YOU ARE FEMALE. INSTEAD MARK INELIGIBLE. DO NOT FILL OUT TOP HALF IF CONSIDERED INELIGIBLE."

That, is bull****.

Total bull****. What better is a tiny stick man with an equilibrium disease than an average sized woman?

Screw that.
2006-11-20, 10:22 AM #29
Originally posted by Avenger:
Please. A member of Congress' kid gets drafted and they use their political clout to get them assigned to some station nowhere near the war.

Yeah but members of congress who support war would lose a hell of a lot of voter support if the general public actually had a chance of being impacted by the wars our country engages in.

Also I agree, that is total bull****.
2006-11-20, 10:23 AM #30
You guys suck at politics.

EDIT: And reading comprehension. He even states his intent in the article you reactionary dumbasses.
2006-11-20, 10:47 AM #31
Too bad his intention is completely moronic. He claims that reinstating the draft will prevent war. ...................okay. So now we have all these people in the military and nothing to do with them. Excellent plan, I must say.
2006-11-20, 11:09 AM #32
Originally posted by Rob:
I will NOT pull my wedgie out.

Earlier in the month, I was almost JAILED and FINED because I had not enlisted in the selective service program. A program I am now enrolled in TWICE. I was already enrolled once when I registered to vote. Meaning if and when they do decided to draft, I will have to go through the trouble of failing the physical twice.

Registering to vote and registering for the Selective Service are two different things as you register to vote with your state and the Selective Service is a federal thing.

Originally posted by tofu:
You guys suck at politics.

EDIT: And reading comprehension. He even states his intent in the article you reactionary dumbasses.

Joke
Pissed Off?
2006-11-20, 12:07 PM #33
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Too bad his intention is completely moronic. He claims that reinstating the draft will prevent war. ...................okay. So now we have all these people in the military and nothing to do with them. Excellent plan, I must say.

I don't think the draft would apply when we're not at war.
2006-11-20, 1:34 PM #34
Registering to vote and registering for the Selective Service are two different things as you register to vote with your state and the Selective Service is a federal thing.

Joke

If I can find it, I'll scan it.

But when I agreed to register to vote, I also agreed to selective service.
2006-11-20, 1:47 PM #35

Joke

:saddowns:
2006-11-20, 2:32 PM #36
Even though that looks like scarcam, I bet twenty bucks he won't be getting re-elected.
2006-11-20, 5:14 PM #37
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
In 2003 (the time of the article) Democrats didn't control the house; this story took a backseat. It is signficant, and thus more harmful to Rangel, now because he is in a position of power and in the spotlight with this proposition.

That's where the second part of my post comes in. It's not harmful to him at all because he only has to worry about his constituency, and they're going to love it.

Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Even though that looks like scarcam, I bet twenty bucks he won't be getting re-elected.

Okay, fine. I'll repost it for everyone's enlightenment.

[quote=Michael MacFarlane]Rangel's congressional district is basically Harlem. This will be a big hit with his constituency because he can cast it as sticking it to the rich white man.[/quote]

To clarify, Rangel's district contains a lot of poor blacks and Hispanics, the kind of people who are overrepresented in the volunteer military because they often see it as the best way out of their situations. They will be all for a bill that levels the playing field a little. Rangel has also been the representative for this district since 1993, and has routinely received about 90% of the vote in his elections. He's in no danger at all.
2006-11-20, 8:42 PM #38
Quote:
"...if the student failed to register because of an error made by the student, such as thinking that registering to vote automatically registered one for selective service..."

Source: http://www.finaid.org/students/selectiveservice.phtml

When you register to vote, they tell you to register for the selective service, but you don't have to.

I don't remember who that makes right, but that's the fact.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-11-20, 8:52 PM #39
Duh.

It comes with a thing YOU ****ING FILL OUT FOR THIS ****.

I'm about to pull my hair out at this ****, seriously.

↑ Up to the top!