Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Resume's and appling for jobs over the internet..
Resume's and appling for jobs over the internet..
2006-11-20, 11:42 AM #1
When you apply to a job position and send your resume to them through email. Do you create your cover letter as the message of the email? What should I say in this cover letter, keep it short? Should I include my portfolio website in the resume itself or in the cover letter? Looking for some pointers as I dont think I'm very good in this field.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-11-20, 11:45 AM #2
I was told that you should place your resume inside the email because people fear attachments from unfamiliar email addresses.

So the resume should not only be attached, but also inside the email as plain text.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-11-20, 12:05 PM #3
Having your cover letter and resume as both attachments and plain text in the e-mail itself is probably your safest bet (though in my own rush for my last application I only had them as attachments, but they requested that they be attached). Your cover letter is basically there to tell them what got you interested in applying and why you want to apply -- it's where you try and show them some personality and passion in "selling" yourself to them. I don't see why you can't link your online portfolio in both.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-11-20, 12:31 PM #4
I've never had any failed responses when i've attached my CV, but if you want to play it safe you could upload it and provide a link in the email.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-20, 2:09 PM #5
Your cover letter shoudl be short and discriptive. It's a brief chance for you to tell them why you're interested in the job and why they should hire you.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-20, 3:08 PM #6
I generally provide mine in 3 ways. In the e-mail body, in an attachment, and via a link.
2006-11-21, 6:36 AM #7
Thanks guys, I've considered some of your advise along with others I gathered.. wish me luck!
2006-11-21, 8:41 AM #8
Personally I'd both put it in the email and attach it. Every time I've only had my CV as an attachment, I've failed to get a reply.
nope.
2006-11-21, 12:10 PM #9
The employer generally specifies how cover letters and/or resumes are to be submitted.
2006-11-21, 1:09 PM #10
I landed an interview tomorrow.. hope it pans out
2006-11-21, 2:52 PM #11
For the lovely job I'm at now, I just simply pasted my cover letter and resume in the email and I got a call within 3 hours. :psyduck:

Emailed, interviewed, and started work the same day! :ninja:
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-11-22, 4:31 AM #12
I hope I'm as lucky..

The only thing I'm worried about during the interview is when they ask questions like, 'is there a time at your old job where your boss asked you to do something, and you couldn't.. how did you handle it?'

I hate those questions they are stupid..

↑ Up to the top!