Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Parking ticket fun.
Parking ticket fun.
2006-11-21, 4:42 PM #1
Woo. I got my first parking ticket after I came 5 minute too late when my meter expired. Damn, I almost never see these parking enforcers out on the street yet they are always there to hand out violations. They are almost ninjas.

Anyway, this is my first time getting a vehicular violation of any sort, so I'm not sure what to do. The fine is a damn $30. But is it worth it to try to dispute? I assume different states/countries handle these violation little differently. From what I've heard, you can get it easily reduced (to maybe around $15). Anyone got a parking ticket before, and what did you do with it?

Also, quick question: How do they calculate if you been in a "meter-less" 2-hour parking spot on the street? I haven't got a straight answer but I'm guessing they make rounds on the streets?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-11-21, 4:44 PM #2
They chalk/mark your tire then come back in just over two hours. If your tire is still marked, they write you a ticket. You can try disputing it, but it won't work.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-21, 4:46 PM #3
Funny, I thought the chalk marking system isn't used much anymore in major cities.
2006-11-21, 5:03 PM #4
*cue Brian*
2006-11-21, 5:06 PM #5
Originally posted by Echoman:
Funny, I thought the chalk marking system isn't used much anymore in major cities.

Some still use it. Others have advanced to red paint that is hard to wipe off. :ninja:
Pissed Off?
2006-11-21, 5:31 PM #6
In Seattle, you see them going around in these little cars... they are really funny looking. Easily fit though traffic.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-11-21, 8:25 PM #7
They do the chalk thing in Annapolis.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-11-21, 8:30 PM #8
Just pay it. It has been my experience that parking officials are incredibly stubborn and obstinate. They'll write you up if your permit expires at 16:00:00 and it's 16:00:05.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-11-21, 8:51 PM #9
Our city did away with parking meters and fines for parking.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-11-21, 8:54 PM #10
Dispute a parking ticket..? Your meter expired, didn't it? Just pay the fine and be done with it.
woot!
2006-11-21, 9:04 PM #11
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
Our city did away with parking meters and fines for parking.

But isn't the revenue from fines and meters for the city pretty good?
2006-11-21, 9:07 PM #12
Red light cameras have become the new cash cows for San Diego and surrounding cities.

At $271 a pop, yeah. And I've seen one particular intersection flash a lot.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-11-21, 9:15 PM #13
Where I work they chalk tires. However it is rare. I often leave my car in a 2 hour spot for 9 -10 hours and never move it. Never gotten a ticket before. I would just pay it.
2006-11-22, 7:38 AM #14
Originally posted by Echoman:
But isn't the revenue from fines and meters for the city pretty good?

I never said our city leaders were smart.

Honestly, I have no idea if they were getting decent revenues from meters or not.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-11-22, 8:57 AM #15
It's absolute murder to get parked in Edinburgh in the city centre apparently thanks to the road layout and the use of meters.
nope.
2006-11-22, 9:54 AM #16
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Red light cameras have become the new cash cows for San Diego and surrounding cities.

At $271 a pop, yeah. And I've seen one particular intersection flash a lot.

We have those here in Albuquerque. But the police do not enforce it, they hire outside agencies to issue and distribute tickets, which is why if you contest your ticket it will usually get dropped, a lot of people just pay it, unfortunately.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-11-22, 10:42 AM #17
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
We have those here in Albuquerque. But the police do not enforce it, they hire outside agencies to issue and distribute tickets, which is why if you contest your ticket it will usually get dropped, a lot of people just pay it, unfortunately.

There was a big scandal about that here in San Diego a few years ago (Scandalous San Diego!) I can't recall the exact details but it involved companies getting kickbacks from the tickets by the red-light cameras.
2006-11-22, 11:34 AM #18
For a red light camera ticket to stick, they have to have a shot of your car, a clear shot of the lisence plate and a clear shot of you driving.

So, in other words, you can beat a ticket if you are driving someone else's car or are wearing a mask that hides you identity. :ninja:
Pissed Off?
2006-11-22, 11:44 AM #19
The one's here just get your license plate and a video of you breaking said violation. No pictures of the driver.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-11-22, 2:52 PM #20
In Ca, they have to be able to prove that you were driving the car, which makes enough sense to me.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-22, 6:07 PM #21
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]*cue Brian*[/QUOTE]
Meh, for a parking ticket, it's a non-moving violation so it doesn't affect your insurance. I fought a parking ticket and won once because I actually reparked my car. The ahole meter slut lied and said she chalked my tire, which is complete crap because I checked for that. Plus, I watch them go through and type license plate numbers into their computer, they never actually get out to chalk your tire, but of course they swear they do when they get to court.

For 30 bucks, it's not worth it for me. Fighting it is silly, but you can probably go in there, admit guilt, give some sob story about how you were only a couple of minutes late because the lady at the grocery store just HAD to change the cash register tape right when you were trying to check out or some other bullcrap like that. Around here, they generally knock a few bucks off, but you'll waste an hour or two to save 15 bucks.
2006-11-22, 6:08 PM #22
Originally posted by Avenger:
In Ca, they have to be able to prove that you were driving the car, which makes enough sense to me.

In WA, the registered owner is responsible for all parking tickets even if the car was on loan to someone else.

↑ Up to the top!