Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Tales of a recovering WoW addict
Tales of a recovering WoW addict
2006-11-22, 7:05 PM #1
I think I'm done with WoW. I've been playing it from the beginning and I'm done. I've levelled a hunter, rogue, shaman, and druid. Two years and I have actually never seen many of the instances in that game(I'm more of a PvPer). My latest class I was levelling was a priest, which is strange since I can't stand playing casters in any other game. I quit my priest at level 32 when I got sick of attacks going right through my Shield and interrupting my spells anyway. I guess that's when I finally decided "Eh, it's really not worth it anymore". I've been considering levelling another shaman on a new server I go to, but the time I would need to invest just isn't worth it. I haven't been happy with the PvP system in that game for a long time, and while Burning Crusade remedies a lot of it, I just don't see myself getting into the game again. I'm done.

Post your WoW quitting/recovery story. Relapse stories welcome too.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-11-22, 7:22 PM #2
I stopped playing WoW when it stopped working under Wine in FreeBSD. I haven't felt compelled to try and get it working again.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2006-11-22, 7:31 PM #3
I stopped playing when I realized how boring it is...
DO NOT WANT.
2006-11-22, 7:33 PM #4
I quit about halfway through my 10 day trial. >.> Didnt really seem like any fun.

o.0
2006-11-22, 7:51 PM #5
I think im going to take a break from now until WoW:BC comes out. RL is pretty awesome right now, and EVE is also pretty awesome. So yeah.
2006-11-22, 8:56 PM #6
I quit real fast, I never even had the game.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2006-11-22, 8:59 PM #7
I never played Wow
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-11-22, 9:10 PM #8
Originally posted by Space_Bandit:
I never played Wow

dot
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-11-22, 9:43 PM #9
I stopped with the beta, cause if I didnt I was gonna have to pay.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-11-22, 10:37 PM #10
I quit after I realized the game was boring as hell. That didn't take long.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-22, 11:14 PM #11
Eh... I quite at ~32. It got boring. The barons was funs, but grinding in desolace is downright boring.
2006-11-22, 11:45 PM #12
I played a couple of trials but never felt like paying to play.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-23, 12:12 AM #13
Havent played for 2-3 months now, severly doubt I am gonna until BC comes out.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-11-23, 1:36 AM #14
It all started when WoW was released to the public. I was skeptical about it since I occasionally took large doses of D2 and thought nothing could even compare to that experience.

I heard things from my best friend who immediately started doing WoW. While I would lay on his basement floor he would pumped himself full of exp and giggle every time he ‘leveled up.’

When we were in public he would talk about WoW constantly, and whenever he would try a new MMORPG he would say things along the lines of “You haven’t lived until you try WoW.” At raves he would brag about the quantities of WoW he could shoot into his eyes. It was even a wonder he went to those raves. Sometimes he would even go as far as bringing his laptop and glaze over to his colorful screen for hours. When his name was called he would look up with a dead stare. We knew something was wrong but we didn’t know how to help. Then something happened to me. . .

One night as I sat in his basement doing my homework he asked me to control his character for a few minutes while he used the restroom, since I wouldn’t get him his bucket. I shrugged and started pressing buttons not knowing what I was doing. But soon I realized how catchy the controls were, how familiar WoW was to D2 but in a completely different way. It didn’t make sense. Before I knew what was happening I was tripping. The colors I saw. Everything was so bright and alive. Even the characters running around claiming they were undead, they appeared to be just as vibrant and lush as everything else on the screen. Then there was a sharp pain on my shoulder and my eyes broke contact with the WoW. I fell over and looked up at my friend who was seething with rage. Apparently he had been telling me to get off for the past hour and a half. I was completely unaware and for a moment I thought he had been making it up. But as I glanced at my watch I could see that he was right. Something had happened. Had I given in?

As I found myself walking home from his house a few minutes later I stared at the sidewalk and to my mild horror and exceeding delight I found a swarm of ants trying to recover a half eaten sandwich in the gutter. I grinned as I stomped the ants out of existence and felt the exp rushing into my vain’s. Then it occurred to me that I had slipped back into my bane of my childhood. The land of make believe! I wasn’t in the World of Warcraft at all. I was in stupid rotten reality, I needed to get out.

Since my pc at home was far to inferior to even consider experiencing WoW on, I decided to look into the world of Lan Cafe. Eventually I found one on State Street. I locally seedy area of where I live where prostitutes a many can be found for reasonable prices, though I wasn’t in the market for that kind of addiction.

After what felt like minutes I could have been leveling up my character, I found a Lan Café. I wont disclose the name here though. But eventually I learned to call it ‘Home.’

Months passed and my glasses prescription soon doubled. Acne soon tarnished my features like pus covered peeling paint. My clothes had become tight as I started to get fat. And though my outside appearance diminished, inside my new world I was a mighty Hero of Azeroth. I had a everything I had ever dreamed of. A long sword and a suit of shining armor. It was a dream come true. Then I ran out of money.

I spent my nights in dark allies doing the unspeakable for enough money to get my fix. Eventually my parents found me and put me through a rehabilitation process. But the suffering I experienced from withdrawals was unspeakable. As were the suicide attempts, and the loss that cutting my wrist with a rusty spoon had caused. It had grown infected in a matter of days and had to be amputated. At that time I thought it was a clipping error but as I couldn’t actually feel my fingers anymore I suddenly realized that I was in the bleak colorless real world again. I learned to type while using my right hand and tongue. Which was complicated since I had to position the monitor on my lap every time I planned on typing. . .and well, doing anything for that matter.

My friend had been smart. He tried using the patch. But it only improved some aspects of his game. He knew he had to go cold turkey. And to the amazement of everyone. He actually did it.

So that is my story. I doubt I’ll ever recover from the loss I went through during that time in my life. But I’m still going to come out and say it. It was worth it!

Oh. Wait. I’ve never played WoW. Nevermind.
My blawgh.
2006-11-23, 2:08 AM #15
I tried WoW last October. I quit a week later because it was boring.

I played WoW again this October. I quit when Final Fantasy 12 came out.

Quitting WoW isn't really a problem for me apparently.
2006-11-23, 5:08 AM #16
I quit WoW when I was over at my friends place, and he let me make a Troll-something character on his account and run around chasing small pig-somethings. Partway through this he said to me "mate, please don't tell me that's only your third beer?".
2006-11-23, 8:56 AM #17
Phantom wins.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-11-23, 9:57 AM #18
I personally like wow, but I can really only be bother to play it for a few weeks (3-4) before I end up taking another 8 months break.

I've had the game since launch, but since I'm only played 3 or 4 months at best. And only in short sprees. Its a fun game but I really am not mmo material. I have no patience and get saturated very fast.

*hugs nwn2*
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-11-23, 10:07 AM #19
I quit partway through the beta, I wasn't playing enough and so all the people I played with were levelling way faster than me and didn't want to be my friend anymore. :v:

Also it was kinda boring.
2006-11-23, 10:11 AM #20
I still play WoW fairly hardcore. Everyone month or so I take about a week's break for schoolwork. Last year I quit playing for about 3 months to try to bring up my grades, but it didn't really make a difference. I like raiding in WoW, although I hope there are less timesinks in TBC. I might even switch from PvE to PVP if the new system is any good.
2006-11-23, 10:49 AM #21
I played for one day, then quit. I found it quite boring. My friends told me "oh that's because you played as a paladin. It's such a **** class." Well, if that's so, I don't want to play any game that makes paladins so unfun anyway.
2006-11-23, 10:52 AM #22
WoW, in my mind, is one of the top 3 games of all time. However, I am poor and obsessive compulsive, and know better than to keep feeding my addiction. I have been clean for 4 months.
2006-11-23, 1:59 PM #23
Originally posted by Gilgamesh85:
I played for one day, then quit. I found it quite boring. My friends told me "oh that's because you played as a paladin. It's such a **** class." Well, if that's so, I don't want to play any game that makes paladins so unfun anyway.
The character creation screen in a MMORPG is like a test.

A paladin is the knee-jerk peanut gallery character choice. They're useless because they're the honeypot trap for people who want to play Generic_Holy_Warrior_094. Most of the people who play them are 12-year-olds who play WoW like it's a Zelda game. And paladin-type characters are never fun in any game, ever. I don't understand why this was such a shock to you. In D&D they're tedious. In Diablo 2 the Paladin is one of the weakest characters unless you do something crazy like a Hammerdin. And Dupre was a drunken alcoholic.

If you wanted to have fun you should have played a hunter, a warlock, a druid, a rogue or maybe even a mage. But a paladin? I mean, it's a MMORPG. A paladin is a hybrid caster/melee/tank class. Obviously they're going to be a lot weaker at those things than a dedicated character, or else a paladin would be like playing 3 characters at once. The game would be nothing but people playing paladins. I just don't even understand the logic you used behind deciding that paladins MUST be fun.
2006-11-23, 2:24 PM #24
I took a break for a bit, but came back when my guild started back up again. Currently raiding Naxx on my priest, and leveling the hell out of my warlock. (Trying to get 60 by saturday to start MC with it)
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-11-23, 3:59 PM #25
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The character creation screen in a MMORPG is like a test.

A paladin is the knee-jerk peanut gallery character choice. They're useless because they're the honeypot trap for people who want to play Generic_Holy_Warrior_094. Most of the people who play them are 12-year-olds who play WoW like it's a Zelda game. And paladin-type characters are never fun in any game, ever. I don't understand why this was such a shock to you. In D&D they're tedious. In Diablo 2 the Paladin is one of the weakest characters unless you do something crazy like a Hammerdin. And Dupre was a drunken alcoholic.

If you wanted to have fun you should have played a hunter, a warlock, a druid, a rogue or maybe even a mage. But a paladin? I mean, it's a MMORPG. A paladin is a hybrid caster/melee/tank class. Obviously they're going to be a lot weaker at those things than a dedicated character, or else a paladin would be like playing 3 characters at once. The game would be nothing but people playing paladins. I just don't even understand the logic you used behind deciding that paladins MUST be fun.

I based my expectations on my memories of Diablo 2. I wasn't a hammerdin, but I was never weak. Even if you believe the paladin was weaker than the other classes, it doesn't matter to me. I had a fun time playing as one, and that's all that counts. Ah well, I guess my expectations just didn't fit with the dynamic of WoW, and that's cool. I have plenty else to keep me entertained.
2006-11-23, 5:21 PM #26
The nice thing about paladins in Diablo II is that you can create a paladin such that you can pick up any melee weapon and use it effectively. With the barbarian, you can only effectively use 1/6 of the weapons that drop due to weapon specialization.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-24, 1:56 PM #27
I recently started playing again after a two month hiatus.

I was playing regularly with a guild that took me in and was really great to hang with. After some people pretty much tore it in half over some really stupid crap, I joined another, more hardcore guild. I saw everything from MC to Naxx in about three weeks, and after playing with them, realized that I absolutely hated them. Not the raids, the guild. They did everything in absolute silence over Vent, and it was extremely boring.

After my two months off, some guys from work wanted to run an instance, and I agreed to help them. Had a fun time, and then found out my old guild was getting back together.

Then I got a BC beta key, and have had a great time in both.
Frightening the very small and very old since 1952.
2006-11-24, 4:10 PM #28
I'm still playing WoW, but only because I'm in the beta. Regular WoW atm is utter crap to play but some of the changes and additions being made in the expansion is making the game a lot better than it is currently.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-11-24, 5:11 PM #29
Paladins pretty much beat all other classes 1v1...bubble ftw.

I was clean for about 2 months, and then I started again, so I don't really have a story. Crap.
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.

↑ Up to the top!