Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 2001 A Space Oddysey
2001 A Space Oddysey
2006-11-23, 3:52 PM #1
I saw this movie and don't see the point. People say it is similar to the Odyssey, but I didn't catch that.

All I remebered were some monkeys, a black stone, and a baby...
Back again
2006-11-23, 3:54 PM #2
I will always stand by my statement of:

I believe you have to be on acid to enjoy that movie.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-11-23, 3:59 PM #3
I watched it on TV a few years ago...

all I can remember is that it was really slow paced and nothing really happened in it.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-11-23, 4:22 PM #4
I saw it when I was 12. And I plan to have that be the only time I ever interact with it again.

Funny enough they made a sequal. But How!?
My blawgh.
2006-11-23, 4:55 PM #5
A really slow movie. But, way ahead of it's time especially in the 60s and definately had one of the best villains of all time: HAL.
2006-11-23, 4:57 PM #6
Although it's not a movie I'd like to rewatch too many times (I have seen it twice or thrice over the years), it's still a film that has left its mark in the history of movie making. But it's also an old movie, and old movies oft are different from the modern flicks.

Well, all the later apocalyptic traitorous and destructive super computer / AI movies owe something to this one.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-11-23, 5:03 PM #7
I think it's a great movie. The part where the guy goes flying past the camera made the movie, I think.

Also, it when coupled with the sequel make a pretty interesting story.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-11-23, 5:11 PM #8
It probably isn't something that a younger generation can enjoy, but I loved the book and the movie.
2006-11-23, 5:12 PM #9
Please. The movie sucks. Read the book. And it's three sequels. It's genius.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-23, 5:23 PM #10
I really enjoyed the movie, but yeah, it's not something I'd watch over and over.

If you want a dissection, I'm pretty sure someone posted an explaination of the movie on the 2001 imdb page.
2006-11-23, 5:28 PM #11
It's genius. But they say the books are even better.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-11-23, 5:43 PM #12
It's a wonderful movie. You have to have something of an attention span to watch it, but its really beautiful. And significant / meaningful. Addresses a few themes of the human condition, technology, etc, and has a beautiful score and some great visuals... for the time, y'know.

Kubrick films aren't for some though, thassa for sure :D
2006-11-23, 6:15 PM #13
Originally posted by saberopus:
It's a wonderful movie. You have to have something of an attention span to watch it, but its really beautiful. And significant / meaningful. Addresses a few themes of the human condition, technology, etc, and has a beautiful score and some great visuals... for the time, y'know.

Kubrick films aren't for some though, thassa for sure :D

Not to mention that life in space IS slow, tedious, and boring. Seriously... 2001 shows you pretty much exactly what space travel would be like. It's not all fun and hardcore with explosions everywhere.

In short, I think the overall pacing and boring tediousness of the film helps drag you into the movie and realize just how bored all the characters are.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-11-23, 8:06 PM #14
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
I will always stand by my statement of:

I believe you have to be on acid to enjoy that movie.

"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-11-23, 10:41 PM #15
Read the book. It helps you to understand the film. Which is beautiful.
2006-11-23, 10:55 PM #16
I don't really like that movie, but it's still better than something else.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-23, 11:15 PM #17
I read all the books.
slept through the movie
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-11-23, 11:43 PM #18
... you heathens! ;P
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-11-24, 6:06 AM #19
I loved the book (and sequels) and I think that helped me understand the movie more when I saw it.
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2006-11-24, 6:53 AM #20
The movie is a brilliant satire. If you didn't find it funny, then you completely missed the whole point.

↑ Up to the top!