Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I want a rifle for christmas
I want a rifle for christmas
2006-11-24, 1:33 PM #1
This thread is inspired by DrkJedi82's Mosin Nagant. Mind you, I enjoy rifles, but I'm not a rifle guru so if I say some stupid things, please excuse me.

Basically, I want to get a rifle for Christmas. Not some kind of rare collector's edition rifle that I'll mount but never use. I want one that I might take to the shooting range or hunting. Bascially, I was thinking of either a Mosin Nagant, K98, M1 Garand, or AR-15(I like WWII-style weapons, but I would get more utility out of the AR-15 since I could practice on it). Now, I'm not picky about particulars. I don't care if a K98 is one of the Czech or Yugoslav variants as long as it isn't too different.

Do we have any rifle guru's that can direct me to stores or sites that have decent quality rifles(that were actually meant to be shot, not just used as a trophy) of the afformentioned models that don't seem to overprice everything? I tried google, but I either got shifty looking sites or sites seemingly completely devoted to really expensive collector's rifles.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-11-24, 1:39 PM #2
you'll shoot your eye out
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-11-24, 1:47 PM #3
A local newspaper might be a good place to look. I've seen a ton of adds for ww2-ish era rifles there.
2006-11-24, 2:36 PM #4
Make sure it has a compass in the stock.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-11-24, 3:04 PM #5
Originally posted by genk:
you'll shoot your eye out kid

fixed.
2006-11-24, 3:12 PM #6
no no no, i wasn't doing the santa one, i was doing the mother/teacher line
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-11-24, 3:24 PM #7
Quote:
I want one that I might take to the shooting range or hunting. Bascially, I was thinking of either a Mosin Nagant, K98, M1 Garand, or AR-15(I like WWII-style weapons, but I would get more utility out of the AR-15 since I could practice on it). Now, I'm not picky about particulars. I don't care if a K98 is one of the Czech or Yugoslav variants as long as it isn't too different.

It's been awhile since I was gun hunting, but the Mosin Nagants were all under or near $100, as were the old styled Mausers(That are usually pre-WW2 and not German). Both the Garand and the AR-15 will cost you at least $500 and there may be "restrictions" on the AR15(Varmint Rifle in my area, so no deer hunting with it).
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-11-24, 3:55 PM #8
If I got a SIG 556 for Christmas I would explode with happy.
2006-11-24, 5:27 PM #9
http://www.aimsurplus.com
2006-11-24, 5:36 PM #10
if you have a Big5 or Dunhams in your area look there

mosins will run anywhere from $80-$100+ at a gunshop
actual K98 prices vary greatly... expect to pay a minimum $200 for a mismatched russian capture
yugoslavian mausers are currently on sale at dunhams for $80 but they may not have any left... (i bought my mosin at ~6:30AM and because they couldn't do background checks until 8AM i had to pick it up later (~10:30AM) in that 4 hours their surplus rifle section was thinned out quite a bit (especially the AK clones)

but one milsurp i suggest looking at is the K-31... while it wasn't used in any wars it is one of the finest WW2 era military rifles... straight pull bolt, never fired a single round of corrosive ammo so the bore should be PERFECT (though the 2 at my local dunhams managed to show signs of corrosion) extremely accurate for a military rifle, only real downside is the ammo is getting to be hard to find and it isn't as cheap as 7.62x54R or 7.92x57 also be cautious is you see a century import mark (it would be on the left side of reciever and have the rifle's model, C.A.I. GEORGIA VT. and a serial number) a recent batch of these got seawater on them while being brought over and some may have rust under the stock
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-11-24, 6:06 PM #11
Doesn't it somehow seem wrong to get/want a tool used for killing on a day of peace? o:
Seishun da!
2006-11-24, 6:11 PM #12
anti-gun ignorance does not belong here...

plus black friday a day of peace? it's a day of beating other people up over the last of some item that's on sale

and if you mean thanksgiving... that whole holiday is a lie... but a lie i can accept as i get an extra 8 hours of pay and don't have to cook for a few days

and 11-24 is always a good day to buy a rifle... it's the NRA's birthday
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-11-24, 6:45 PM #13
I second the SIG556, I think the only gripe I think I might have with that rifle so far is the weight.
2006-11-24, 6:50 PM #14
Why's the SIG 556 so great?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-11-24, 7:34 PM #15
Quote:
I want a rifle for christmas

Kieran Horn stars in...
[http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8720000/8729655.jpg]
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-11-24, 11:19 PM #16
I want that lamp.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-11-25, 3:10 AM #17
I want to be the person who kills the child on that DVD cover.

↑ Up to the top!