Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → FYI for the gamers here..NWN2 - $24.99
FYI for the gamers here..NWN2 - $24.99
2006-11-24, 3:29 PM #1
Many of you may know already -- but if not, Neverwinter Nights 2 is available on DVD or CD for $24.99 from BestBuy.com. Shipping was $2.49 for me -- so it's a rather good deal..thought I'd share. :)
woot!
2006-11-24, 3:31 PM #2
Thanks for the heads up. I know they're kind of different games, but is this as fun as say Oblivion?
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-11-24, 3:46 PM #3
I strongly encourage this purchase. It really really is good. Muuuuuch better than the NWN1 OC.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-11-24, 4:05 PM #4
The game doesn't force everywhere to made up of horrible and unnatural square blocks but graphically it's behind the times and there is not reason it should run as poorly as it does on my system.

The official campaign is much better than NWN, but the ending is incredibly rushed and unrewarding, not to mention the fact that it's incredibly buggy.

If you're looking for online D&D, ie NWN but improved then you'll be happy. But as a standalone product the game is disappointing, doesn't come close to the likes of BG2, IWD2, PS:T or the Fallout games
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-24, 8:14 PM #5
The slowness of the game does piss me off. Hopefully that problem will be resolved in patch 1.03. Although it tells of bad things if all ready three patches are out.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-11-24, 8:44 PM #6
As much as I want to I've heard too many bad things about it.
2006-11-24, 9:15 PM #7
Originally posted by tofu:

8.5 on gamespot, I think? I'll give a shot..just because I'm crazy like that. :P
woot!
2006-11-24, 9:34 PM #8
Beta Patch 1.03 greatly enhanced the framerate. Just be smart with which features you have on.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-11-24, 9:35 PM #9
Originally posted by tofu:

Its the internet. The ratio of complainees to enjoyees is always 100:1. People who enjoy the game wont be online pissing and moaning about it
2006-11-24, 9:37 PM #10
Originally posted by Jepman:
Its the internet. The ratio of complainees to enjoyees is always 100:1. People who enjoy the game wont be online pissing and moaning about it

Yep..and the ones that /really/ like it are too busy playing it to be online saying how good it is... :P
woot!
2006-11-24, 9:44 PM #11
I'd be working on my own module if it was 1 am and I had not just returned from seeing the best James Bond movie ever.
2006-11-24, 10:14 PM #12
Originally posted by Jepman:
I'd be working on my own module if it was 1 am and I had not just returned from seeing the best James Bond movie ever.

Pretty good, is it? We only have a two-screen theater up here, so maybe I should catch it before it's gone.
woot!
2006-11-25, 1:10 AM #13
Too bad there's no demo to try.
2006-11-25, 3:18 AM #14
This thread needs more burrie.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-11-25, 4:15 AM #15
Heh, I haven't even really played NWN + expansions I got 2 years ago. Nice offer, though.

Also, the name of this thread frightens me. Have we derived so much from our roots that we have to specify threads for gamers? :P
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-25, 7:53 AM #16
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Heh, I haven't even really played NWN + expansions I got 2 years ago. Nice offer, though.

Also, the name of this thread frightens me. Have we derived so much from our roots that we have to specify threads for gamers? :P

:psyduck:
woot!
2006-11-25, 3:14 PM #17
Nitro sais NWN2 lags on his 4gig RAM laptop. So it's not quite the best buy for my 1.4 512. Heh.
幻術
2006-11-25, 3:47 PM #18
Originally posted by Koobie:
Nitro sais NWN2 lags on his 4gig RAM laptop. So it's not quite the best buy for my 1.4 512. Heh.

Definatly not. NWN2 is not performing good at all on integrated video cards and laptops. As a matter of fact, until the latest patch (1.03 beta) it wasn't performing too great on any system. Still the story and game itslef is awesome.
2006-11-27, 5:30 PM #19
I haven't tried the 1.03 beta patch yet. But so far this is my most disappointing purchase since Black & White.

It does have the CHANCE to become good though. If they fix all the bugs.

Performance wise everything seems fine for me. I've 1 gig of ram a GF7800 and an amd64 3700.

But the game is bugged like hell.
My characters will continuously attack each other instead of the enemy. According to the bioware fora this is actually a feature, but it makes the game completely unplayable, because even if you win a battle against enemies you can't rest because you're characters are still in combat. (until 2 die)

I've experienced several crashes so far, but they were all around the same time, so maybe they were related to something in that location.

Weapons of my party members just dissappear and get replaced with the weapons of my main character. Which also totally borks animations and models.

The AI of partymembers is totally uncontrolable and upredictable.
If you enable it, any spellcaster will kill your entire party the first chance he gets. (when you enable standard d&d rules)
If you disable the AI they won't do anything unless you tell them so, which requires time, which brings us to...

Major design flaws:

The absense of Auto-pause. I can understand you'd want to disable this in multiplayer, but why would you completely remove it :confused:

Also why remove the radial menu and replace it with a totally clumsy crap interface?

The game is totally not designed with the hardcore d&d rules in mind.

For a game that's intended for Multiplayer, your character's appearance is hardly customizable.

What's actually good is the voice acting. The story is also alright so far ( I haven't progressed far yet in the two weeks I have the game, because I keep getting too fed up with having to cope with all the bugs)

The graphics are ok, and frankly they do fine for me. I don't really care all that much for graphics. (I actually spent a lot of time playing on Arcade and Atari2600 emulators lately)

I like the KotOR-style influence and conversation system.
There's a lot of items, feats and classes to choose from and use.

For me at this time the game is unenjoyable. Even with the 3rd party AI patch they still behave like headless chickens. But if they manage to fix the bugs and the AI, the game potentially could turn out rather good. I could even learn to live with the lack of autopause then.

Personally for those who didn't buy it, I'd suggest to see how the patches go first.
Because at the current rate it's gonna take at least a couple months before the game is really playable. It's hardly worth 10 bucks in its current form. And I payed 50 :(
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-11-27, 9:41 PM #20
Auto-pause: I've never ever had to use it in NWN1 namely because I didn't have to micromanage my party much like KotOR. Even in NWN2, I just quickly strike the space bar.

AI: Yeah it does kind of suck

Weapons: Never ever had that happen to me.

Radial menu: I miss that too.

Customization: NWN1 vanilla wasn't really customizable too. In fact, I think it was even less.

D&D: Yeah. You really have to use a lot of splash damage spells in the game.

Performance: I'm running the 1.03 beta patch and it seems to run much better.

I dunno. I'm not all nitpicky about the nuances of the UI and how it handles. I get over the issues or just adapt.
2006-11-28, 2:11 AM #21
Can you create weapons/armor like you could in Dark Alliance II?
Current Maps | Newest Map

↑ Up to the top!