Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Got the last Wii
Got the last Wii
2006-11-24, 9:57 PM #1
Want to hear my Wii story? I got to Target on the day the Wii was released about 20 minutes before they opened. They had 60, and gave out 60 tickets, and I was like 2 people away from getting one. Ah well.

I called around on Wednesday to see if any stores were going to have them today. The only place that would fess up to having some was Gamestop. They wouldn't tell me how many, but they said they'd open Friday at 7am, and they were first come, first served.

So my wife wanted something at Sears, which opened at 5AM. I went there and got it for her, then stopped by Toys R Us to see if they had any Wiis (nope). Then I went to Gamestop. There were about a dozen people lined up at 5:20, so I jumped in line. Nobody knew how many they actually had.

So I waited until 7 (freaking COLD outside, damnit). The lady working there came out and announced that they had 9 Wiis and 2 Playstation 3s. I was the 10th person in line. So we were counting, and thank goodness, one of the dudes in front of me bought a PS3 and I got the last Wii. The 50 people behind me in line were pissed when the lady announced that they were sold out.

Gamestop didn't have any Zeldas in, so I bought ExciteTruck. It's pretty cool. It's really, really fast, which is interesting. I haven't played it that much. The controls are definitely weird.

I found Zelda at Best Buy. I've played for about 45 minutes, it's pretty fun. I'm not really sure I like the controls though, I think I'd rather play it on a Gamecube controller like the old Zeldas. Ever since the n64 zelda, they have all these silly kiddy backstory things you have to go through before you can into the actual game. They are pretty boring if you ask me. Plus, what's up with all the people wearing rugs around their wastes?

The graphics are really cool on both games. Nowhere near the PS3, but definitely better than the gamecube.

Wii sports, bleck. Not that much fun for me, but the kids really like it.
2006-11-24, 10:03 PM #2
Zelda picks up a LOT after about an hour or two. You get tossed right into the s**t as it were after the short tutorial at the start. I thought the same thing about the controls, but now I'm 11 hours into the game and I would never play the game on the Gamecube, EVER.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-24, 11:25 PM #3
Zelda's graphics are the same on both systems, right? I never heard different.

There aren't many multiplayer games for more than 2 players, so Wii Sports is my most played game right now.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-11-24, 11:35 PM #4
Bleh. Screw Black Friday. I'm getting my Wii from either Toys R Us or Gamestop Monday. Hopefully. For now I'll just stare at my Zelda Wii and game guide.

Anyone know when Toys R Us opens when it's the holiday shopping season? Or are hours the same? >.>
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-11-25, 2:33 AM #5
Game guide for Zelda? That's no fun!
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-11-25, 4:24 AM #6
You'll get over the controls. At first, I felt like an idiot shaking the controller around. I've come around - I love it! I'm through the first dungeon, and it does get going fast. Not quite as fast as ocarina does, where you can get into the first dungeon in five minutes, but there's plenty of action before the dungeon so it's fine. Every time I turn around I'm reminded of some bit Ocarina or Majora's Mask or Wind Waker. It's awesome.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any tutorial for the fishing. Don't be ashamed if you have to go ask for help, it's not like real fishing at all. I don't think anyone at nintendo has ever actually gone fishing.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-25, 5:56 AM #7
I'm at the Goron dungeon now, and I absolutely love the controls. I was quite a bit skeptic at first, but I got used to it, and now I don't know how I could play any other way :p

Originally posted by Isuwen:
Also, there doesn't seem to be any tutorial for the fishing. Don't be ashamed if you have to go ask for help, it's not like real fishing at all. I don't think anyone at nintendo has ever actually gone fishing.

I disagree. You're fishing without a reel, so it's obviously not going to be what you're used to. But you throw the thing just like always.

Well, besides the fact that the fish bite constantly, but hey :p
2006-11-25, 11:36 AM #8
Originally posted by Brian:
Wii sports, bleck. Not that much fun for me, but the kids really like it.

Hold the phone, I thought you just had your first. :confused:
nope.
2006-11-25, 1:39 PM #9
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Hold the phone, I thought you just had your first. :confused:

Wife has two from a previous marriage. Girl: 13, Boy: 10
2006-11-25, 1:59 PM #10
I stood in line on Friday for a Wii. #16. They had EIGHT. :mad:

2006-11-25, 3:38 PM #11
Brian, you poor poor man. I hope she's the one. That's a lot of baggage.

Quote:
I disagree. You're fishing without a reel, so it's obviously not going to be what you're used to. But you throw the thing just like always.

No, you misunderstood. The problem is that waiting for a bite, then tugging it to set the hook, like you would in real life, doesn't work at all. You have to tug just before the fish bites. Once I figured that out, I was pulling them out like crazy. I caught an eleven inch fish and the game called it small (!!!!!).
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-25, 4:07 PM #12
You get to fish using a rod with a reel later on.

I'm 30 hours in, and it's pretty cool.

↑ Up to the top!