Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Lag need help.
Lag need help.
2006-11-25, 10:44 AM #1
Hello. My computers are up to date and not old. I played many online games but suddenly its so laggy. It was pretty fast before, but now all the comps in my house have high lat. I have cable and a wireless router. I do not intend to switch internet servers but its very laggy right now, for the games. Is there a way to speed up my games?

Thank you.
Back again
2006-11-25, 11:53 AM #2
I'm no expert when it comes to networking, but I would assume that you would decrease latency and increase reliability by being wired to your router as opposed to being wireless. I could be incorrect, so you may want to wait for an answer from someone who knows more regarding this subject. Oh, and threads like this generally belong on the "Technology Forum", where contrary to popular belief, it will be answered in a timely manner.
2006-11-25, 1:20 PM #3
I'm on wireless and I don't have a problem with my ping. Either other people in the house are using your bandwidth, which you can't do much about, or there could be someone leeching from outside of your house.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-25, 3:46 PM #4
The lag time of the wireless connection to your router is insignificant compared to the times out to the internet. The only time a wired connection will perform better is when transferring large files between computers on your LAN.

If you've closed off you router to any leechers, than you're probably SOL. There is a reason broadband companies don't guarantee bandwidth. They'll tell you a ping of 200 to a machine they choose is 'acceptable', but we all know that you need to be in the 30s max to kick *** online. You could try a switch to cable, but it's not necessarily going to be any better.

Lots of things can make your performance suddenly drop. Maybe a substantial set of new customers hooked up the service in your neighborhood (Yeah, most places share bandwidth over entire subdivisions.) or a major node went down (I could tell the time all the equipment at Quantico went down. I leapt from four hops to the west coast to almost thirty without that nice thick fiber line going out of the marine base) or your provider lost equipment or even enacted throttling to cut down costs.
Wikissassi sucks.

↑ Up to the top!