Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → How do you NOT procrastinate?
How do you NOT procrastinate?
2006-11-26, 9:28 AM #1
Being determined to finish a large project/assignment/paper early (or slightly eariler than usual) requires some focus it seems. So what do you do to get the job done before it hits deadline panic zone?

Some people can just sit down anywhere and finish up. But for me, my mind drifts. So it seems listening to music in the background helps to slightly move the pace. The music has to not be distracting, otherwise I start pondering the lyrics. Oh, and finding a really kozy place to work, seeing that cold urges me to get and move. Lasty, I usually keep snacks nearby. If I get up and go for snacks, I tend to take off way more time then I should have.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-11-26, 9:32 AM #2
I usually just sit down and knock it out after I laze around all day planning it out.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-11-26, 9:34 AM #3
I have to be working on a laptop not connected to the internet
一个大西瓜
2006-11-26, 9:46 AM #4
Listen to some self help tapes on not procrastinating.
2006-11-26, 9:49 AM #5
Considering the fact that I have a 10 page research paper due Wednesday and I haven't made any effort to start, I can't really help you out. I barely even have a topic chosen.

It seems I get work done best when I have two things to work on, though. My roommates laugh at me because I'll flit back and forth between assignments every fifteen minutes or so. I have no attention span. :(
"Art is a lie that makes us to realize the truth."
- Pablo Picasso

blog thingamajig
2006-11-26, 9:51 AM #6
I have no idea. I start thinking about how I might screw up things but then I'll do stuff pretty damn late anyway. Oh well.

Like this art class thing by Friday... time to play UT2k4!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-26, 10:46 AM #7
I do my best work at the last minute.
2006-11-26, 10:53 AM #8
Considering that I should be doing something that was due the Friday I got out for Thanksgiving, I probably shouldn't even be replying.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-11-26, 11:03 AM #9
Um, I started looking at material for the first time ever for my final exams for my masters degree at 2am the night before.

I'm rather good at procrastinating...
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-26, 11:03 AM #10
I just remove distractions.

Internet
TV
Things that are bothering me

Eventually I realise that procrastinating is more dull than doing what I'm meant to be doing.
2006-11-26, 11:43 AM #11
I don't think I've ever not procrastinated.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-26, 11:54 AM #12
it's amazing at how good I am at procrastinating. Lets put it this way: In short, I went to the college of Procrastination, and then dropped out. :v:

I usually end up doing assignments the period before their due, or before I have to go to school. Yeah.
2006-11-26, 11:58 AM #13
I don't not procrastinate. Believe me, I've tried to finish major paper/projects etc. for school ahead of time, but I get absolutely nowhere until the last minute squeeze kicks in. If I have extra time for an assignment, that time is almost always going to be wasted.
"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."
2006-11-26, 12:05 PM #14
I'll tell you later.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-11-26, 12:27 PM #15
Er... I wait until it hits deadline panic zone and then do it. :ninja:
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-11-26, 12:33 PM #16
It is easy to procrastinate if you have something big to do that isn't due in the near future. Everyone has done it, and most people procrastinate regularly, including me. It is especially tough to start things early when you have a lot to do now; procrastination results then from organization of priorities instead of laziness. Procrastination can be avoided by breaking down a large task due in the distant future into small tasks that can be completed relatively quickly. Since the large task is now addressed as a series of small tasks, there is no reason to put them off; they can be finished without much effort and time. For example, think of the 10 page paper that was mentioned in Achelois's post.

Large task: 10 page paper

>> make into a series of small tasks >>

Small tasks:

1. Choose topic to write about
2. Do any preliminary research
3. Draw a rough outline of paper structure and content
4. Write introduction to paper
5. Write body of paper
6. Write conclusion of paper
7. Read over and edit

#5 is probably significantly bigger than the others and could be broken down based on the structure of the paper's body. Steps {1,2,3} and {6,7} could be done all at once. Clearly, procrastination can be avoided if the large task is broken down into small tasks that are completed regularly so that the large task is slowly completed without much work to do at the end of the process.

Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
I'll tell you later.

Budum tsssss!
2006-11-26, 1:56 PM #17
I've always found that getting my **** done ahead of time allows me to enjoy the time after I'm done working because I don't have the work lingering over me.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-26, 1:57 PM #18
I've never not done it. :(

Right now I'm starting to enter that panic zone for uni application. I still don't have a clue what I'm applying for.
nope.
2006-11-26, 1:59 PM #19
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I've never not done it. :(

Right now I'm starting to enter that panic zone for uni application. I still don't have a clue what I'm applying for.

Then may I suggest you don't do anything until you know? It wouldn't be the end of the world to just put off the decision until you're ready. You'll turn out a lot better and you might just save a boatload of money too.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-26, 2:05 PM #20
I'm procrastinating an 8-page (single-spaced) English paper that's due in a week or two and my final CS project, which is due in a week as well. It'll all work out, since I do my best under tight time constraints.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-11-26, 3:11 PM #21
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
since I do my best under tight time constraints.

You don't know what's in the tea bag until it's in some hot water. :)
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-11-26, 3:23 PM #22
You just blew my mind.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-11-26, 3:41 PM #23
Originally posted by Freelancer:
You'll turn out a lot better and you might just save a boatload of money too.

I live in Scotland, going to University is free. :P [Well, ish.]

I've got ideas, I'm just trying to pinpoint the precise courses to go for. Writing the personal statement is my only problem at the moment, I could write that if I knew a general area, but I've got options from just about every area you could think of.
nope.
2006-11-26, 3:59 PM #24
i'd start by not posting on massassi asking how not to procrastinate
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2006-11-26, 4:17 PM #25
:mad: *stabs NoESC in the eye with a pen* Large text doesn't make you cool!

I have a court paper due Wednesday(had all semester to do it). Need to see a trial tomarrow or Tuesday. :(
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-11-26, 4:27 PM #26
Just force yourself to do it. All it is is self-discipline. If you're really having strong issues with procrastination then maybe you should consider hiring a sadist. Pain will make you learn quick everytime you procrastinate.
2006-11-27, 6:50 AM #27
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
words

The problem is, when I do one part of a project early, I pat myself on the back and reward myself with procrastination. :saddowns:
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-11-27, 7:11 AM #28
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]:mad: *stabs NoESC in the eye with a pen* Large text doesn't make you cool! [/QUOTE]

:argh: you wont like me when im angry
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2006-11-27, 7:13 AM #29
This thread has inspired me to do my theater homework. Ta.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-11-27, 7:33 AM #30
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]Er... I wait until it hits deadline panic zone and then do it. :ninja:[/QUOTE]
That is my strategy. It usually works pretty well, but now that I have larger assignments in grad school, it makes for a much more interesting "deadline panic zone."
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2006-11-27, 7:36 AM #31
Originally posted by Pommy:
I have to be working on a laptop not connected to the internet

Problem is of course that as a web developer I need to be connected to the internet 95% of the time.

It would also help if I uninstalled Virtua Tennis from my laptop but I don't think I'm capable of doing that
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2006-11-27, 8:06 AM #32
Originally posted by Echoman:
The problem is, when I do one part of a project early, I pat myself on the back and reward myself with procrastination. :saddowns:

Yup, procrastination is even more tempting in that case.
2006-11-27, 8:23 AM #33
Discipline your mind, make it your slave.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-11-27, 4:55 PM #34
It seems that I have waited until the last two weeks of the semester to finally take 14 online history quizzes. They shouldn't be too bad, although it's a lot of material to cover in a short time.

I always end up procrastinating. I really need to stop, but I always end up bored with whatever I'm trying to work on. Like right now, I'm on Massassi and I've been reading a new book I picked up today instead of doing those quizzes.
2006-11-29, 8:11 AM #35
I've found the worst thing I can do is listen to Dire Straits while researching or doing work. I keep stopping to sing along and play air guitar :o

I generally find that once I've started working, I actually quite enjoy it and get through quite a bit. It's starting that's the hard part.
2006-11-29, 3:54 PM #36
I've had to bribe people to threaten me to get projects done. How lame is that?
My blawgh.
2006-11-29, 4:20 PM #37
Yeah, the final project for my Java class was due this past Monday, and I'm not even close to done. The prof announced that we can submit it a week late and have it marked out of 80% (instead, of 100%, therefore the maximum mark you can get is 80%). It is now Wednesday night and I'm not even close to done.

In my defense, the week before it was due I was incredibly sick, and had four midterms in a four day span (two on the same day).

↑ Up to the top!