Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → laptop troubles... HELP
laptop troubles... HELP
2004-07-08, 4:30 PM #1
My laptop, which is pretty old, isnt turning on anymore.... i had this problem in the past about 2 years ago, which i put it in storage until recently, i pluged it in and it worked..... then about last month is stoped working again... i hit the power button, it turns on then back off, sometimes if a let if sit for a while then hit the power button it would turn on for a longer period of time, i would hear it booting up but then it turns off...

Info:
TOSHIBA SATELLITE PRO
420 CDS
Pentium Processor
Windows 95
1.9 gig hd

id like to know whats wrong with it so it could be repaired.... ive tried to open up the laptop to look at the power system but it seams that even with the screws removed, i cant geet it open...... please, someone help!

------------------
Carter: "whats wrong?"
Daniel: "this tastes like chicken..."
Carter: "whats bad about that?"
Daniel: "this is supposed to be macaroni and cheese..."
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2004-07-08, 4:32 PM #2
Do you have a spare battery you can try? Batteries have a certain lifetime, after a while they die. But that shouldn't be a problem if it's plugged into the wall...

------------------
"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-07-08, 4:34 PM #3
Make sure the AC adapter is actually supplying power to the laptop. If a light doesn't come on indicating that it is charging, it might be that your AC adapter is fried, or that the plug for the AC adapter (on the laptop) got too dirty, and won't make the connection.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-07-08, 4:35 PM #4
oi

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-07-08, 4:35 PM #5
oh ya, knew i forgot something in the post... on all attempts to turn on the laptop, ive had it hooked into wall power
ive also waited until the battery indicator turns to green status

------------------
Carter: "whats wrong?"
Daniel: "this tastes like chicken..."
Carter: "whats bad about that?"
Daniel: "this is supposed to be macaroni and cheese..."

[This message has been edited by Admiral Zarn (edited July 08, 2004).]
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2004-07-08, 5:08 PM #6
I've got a similar model which arrived in my posession late last year. It was supposed to be quite dead, but I plugged it in and it booted normally. Meh. Later on though, I began noticing that it's battery wasn't charging and it couldn't keep the system time or date current after being shut off. I forget where or how I figured it out, but I determined that the CMOS battery, I think that was it, was dying. The computer's power battery had long since died, little surprise considering it's age.

Cut to today. It still runs, but NEVER keeps the correct date/time, I know of at least 6 or 7 keys that do not work now, some flat out display the wrong characters when the key is pressed. I'm attributing this all to some battery elsewhere dying, possibly the one I mentioned earlier.

That might be what your's is doing.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!