Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I just found out that I've been ripped off by my insurance company
I just found out that I've been ripped off by my insurance company
2006-11-28, 4:31 PM #1
(what else is new)

Anyway..noticed that I had a citation on record (correct); however, Progressive listed it as a 2pt violation. I took traffic school after I received the ticket (back in '04)...however, apparently Progressive didn't put that down..so last year, I paid over $340 more than I should have. Fortunately, they said if I fax a copy of my driving record to them, I can get a refund...I hope they're not a PITA to work with.

However...if I do get the refund as I should, that's another $300+ just in time for the next payment! w00t.
woot!
2006-11-28, 4:52 PM #2
I hate insurance companies..

If it were up to me, everyone would get money back at the end of the year.. If I pay $1000 a year in car insurance, and I dont get in one wreck or any sitations. I should get some of that damn money back.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-11-28, 4:53 PM #3
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:

If it were up to me, everyone would get money back at the end of the year.. If I pay $1000 a year in car insurance, and I dont get in one wreck or any sitations. I should get some of that damn money back.

One would think...but alas, it is not so. .(
woot!
2006-11-28, 5:30 PM #4
Someone has to pay for the idiots that do wreck their cars.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-11-28, 5:45 PM #5
Progressive screwed me also. I got a quote for insurance on my new bike BEFORE I bought it. I was quoted like 25/month. I bought it, then called to activate the quote, and they raised it to 75 a month!! Freaking sucks. So I called around and went with GEICO for 45/month, but it's still higher than my original quote. They won't tell me why they did that, either :(
2006-11-28, 5:46 PM #6
Originally posted by Simbachu:
Someone has to pay for the idiots that do wreck their cars.

Yeah.. like hmm maybe the PERSON WHO DID IT!
2006-11-28, 5:48 PM #7
I use Farm Bureau and my bill changes drastically every 3 months. Sometimes I pay $200, sometimes I pay $350, etc. It's always different and I should probably find out why. They also fail to send me a "proof of insurance" card every single time that I pay my bill. If I get pulled over, I can potentially get a ticket for failure to provide proof of insurance.
2006-11-28, 5:51 PM #8
Think of it this way.

Insurance companies are in the business to make money, not give it to you.

In a perfect world they would recognise they are gamblers, making a bet with you (the amount you're insured by) that you won't be killed or whatever type of insurance you have. Your payments reflect your side of the bet that you WILL end up like that (and your payments are small because of the small probability).

Statistically, the insurance amounts and payments are supposed to all sum up with the probabilities so, on average, each person pays a bit more than they are rewarded. Thus the insurance company makes money, even though they may reward some policies, as long as nothing big changes the assumed statistics (ie unexpected massive flooding would upset flood insurance statistics) In a perfect world this would all work out nicely, like it does in math class.

In real life, any business will try to maximize income and minimize expence.

2006-11-28, 5:57 PM #9
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]Think of it this way.

Insurance companies are in the business to make money, not give it to you.

In a perfect world they would recognise they are gamblers, making a bet with you (the amount you're insured by) that you won't be killed or whatever type of insurance you have. Your payments reflect your side of the bet that you WILL end up like that (and your payments are small because of the small probability).

Statistically, the insurance amounts and payments are supposed to all sum up with the probabilities so, on average, each person pays a bit more than they are rewarded. Thus the insurance company makes money, even though they may reward some policies, as long as nothing big changes the assumed statistics (ie unexpected massive flooding would upset flood insurance statistics) In a perfect world this would all work out nicely, like it does in math class.

In real life, any business will try to maximize income and minimize expence.[/QUOTE]

I understand how an insurance company works. However, my "probability" is less than what they were charging me for. Fortunately, they say I should be able to get a refund..so hopefully all will be well.
woot!
2006-11-28, 6:13 PM #10

Are you Chris Rock?
Pissed Off?
2006-11-29, 4:16 AM #11
Haha, I remember that too...
2006-11-30, 7:15 PM #12
Called back today to fax my license history (clean)...ended up with someone who was intelligent...he was a bit surprised that the other CSR had wanted a report in the first place. Anyway, I should be getting a check for $340+ in a week or two..and my next 6mo premium is $630 instead of ~$780. On top of that, today was payday...and I found my sunglasses - which had been missing for months! :D
woot!
2006-11-30, 7:40 PM #13
I only pay $90 a month for my car, $30 a month for my bike. $120 for both is less than some people pay for one.
2006-11-30, 7:42 PM #14
Originally posted by Steven:
I only pay $90 a month for my car, $30 a month for my bike. $120 for both is less than some people pay for one.

Mine comes to $105/mo..that's full coverage on my truck and liability on my MR2. Not too bad..but definitely not too great either.
woot!
2006-11-30, 11:04 PM #15
For two cars, full coverage on one, that's pretty damn good. I'm paying $37 a month on my car, but I have a good student discount and a discount for working in the natural sciences field, of all things.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-01, 3:49 AM #16
I pay about £50 a month for my insurance. But it is my first year of having a fairly powerful car, and my first year under my own insurance and not just a named driver on my mum's insurance.
2006-12-01, 4:23 AM #17
Insurance is communism. :argh:
2006-12-01, 4:32 AM #18
Originally posted by Avenger:
For two cars, full coverage on one, that's pretty damn good. I'm paying $37 a month on my car, but I have a good student discount and a discount for working in the natural sciences field, of all things.

You get a discount for the field you work in..? That's interesting..which insurance company?
woot!
2006-12-01, 8:19 AM #19
Yeah.. like hmm maybe the PERSON WHO DID IT!

Then there would be no need for insurance whould there, if you pay for it yourself?
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-12-01, 1:08 PM #20
Quote:
I hope they're not a PITA to work with.

According to my roommate who tried dealing with Progressive once upon a time, you are hoping against hope.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-12-01, 2:53 PM #21
Originally posted by JLee:
You get a discount for the field you work in..? That's interesting..which insurance company?

esurance. It surprised the hell out of me too. Not that I'm complaining though.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-01, 3:02 PM #22
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
According to my roommate who tried dealing with Progressive once upon a time, you are hoping against hope.

I called back and got someone intelligent -- I am very impressed with them so far. Easier to deal with than any other insurance company I've had contact with.
woot!
2006-12-01, 3:08 PM #23
You know what would be funny. If everyone that was a member with a particular insurance company wrecked their cars at the same time. I bet they would go backrupt.
2006-12-01, 3:39 PM #24
my insurance was going to up up 1000 bucks on my car since my parnets got a new car and i would be the soul owned on my car my B average knoced it down to 2000 bucks a year. frickin rip off its a 99 Sable why am i paying that much for a grandma car :mad: oh and i have state farm if your wondering
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2006-12-01, 8:21 PM #25
I've heard that they make you pay more for car insurance if your car is red. :confused: I mean sure red is "sporty", but you don't see hotrods racing wrecklessly down the street in a red mini everyday...
"You cannot turn me off!"

-Ryham
2006-12-01, 8:51 PM #26
That has something to do with cops pulling people over in red cars more often as opposed to cars of other colors. Or at least the did, at some point in time.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!