Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Excitment!!! Exploration! ! !!!! Fun! !! ZAPOWWW
Excitment!!! Exploration! ! !!!! Fun! !! ZAPOWWW
2006-12-01, 5:27 PM #1
Irreducible complexity is a concept used by those, such as Michael Behe, in contention against Darwinian evolution. It has been posited that various biological systems--systems such as the eye, the blood clotting cascade, or the motor in a cell's flagellum--are so complex, or composed of such a multiplicity of independent parts, each requiring the other to function, that it is not feasible causal, gradual adaptations could result in such a dense, well-orchestrated system. In the least, they argue, it would take ceaseless systematic failure of adaptation to result in a working model.

It should be noted that there are disparate arguments which use the concept. Both arguments could be seen as holistic--one, the intelligent design of life, is simply less naturalistic in that in relies on an undescribed creator.

This argument of intelligent design of life, specifically that of Michael Behe, applies the term to indicate that complex systems cannot evolve from simpler systems. The argument bifurcate from normal science in that holistic approaches--specifically ones that have a deus ex machina creator--are taken when basic naturalism does not explain their hypotheses.

Dissimilarily, proponents and researchers of emergence have come upon complex systems in nature that seemingly spring from less complex systems, and insist on a strictly naturalistic approach. These complex systems are seen as natural, e.g.: if examined individually, the physical property of a molecule of air has no apparent evidence to infer that a large amount would transmit sound; and ant colonies, where each ant acts as an individual automaton, spurred on by genetic impulse, but yet each ant has the seeming ability to act as a unit insofar they can, for example, solve geometric problems.

However, reliance on both emergence and intelligent design could in many cases be considered a reliance on an argument from ignorance--in the case of the molecules of air, it could merely be that our knowledge is limited and that, for example, subatomic characteristics heretofore unexamined infer sound transmission. In the case of the ant colony, it could argued that the resulting properties of a colony are not unpredictable or unknowable, but merely requiring of intense focus on details and a superb mathematical model to predict the outcome. In the case of irreducible complexity, it could be be another example that obscurity of the details is the cause of confusion. It might only take expansion or reevaluation of knowledge to solve the mystery; some specific examples of irreducible complexity have been confuted (to arguable degrees of accuracy, of course) in different scenarios, e.g. the legal case Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District.

In contrast to irreducible complexity, which is where discrete parts in the whole are required, minimum function is the lowest state at which a system can work. It is, as Behe states, "the ability to accomplish a task in physically realistic circumstances." (p. 45) Behe suggests that although a system could have all the right parts, it might still fail because a specific part is underperforming to the level that is required of it to function at all--that is, the minimum function. Behe illustrates the point with a motorboat, which, even though it possesses all the right parts to permit aqueous transportation, fails to meet the demands of its use because its propeller only rotates once per hour.

POST RANDOM TXTS/DOCUMENTS OF WORDS U WROTE!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEZZZZZZAGGLAHR!!!!!!!!!!!
2006-12-01, 5:30 PM #2
wtf is up with the tiny font, that is enough to make me not read it
2006-12-01, 5:35 PM #3
I agree
Pissed Off?
2006-12-01, 5:39 PM #4
:eek:
My blawgh.
2006-12-01, 6:23 PM #5
From a paper entitled "The Decades of Prosperity and Peace":

Quote:
It seems obviously paradoxical that a period in which the world’s two greatest military powers consistently threatened each other with the world’s most destructive weapons was one of the most peaceful periods in the world’s history. Though citizens of the two countries, and particularly the U.S., were constantly confronted with the fear that nuclear war could erupt at any moment, devastating both the U.S. and the Soviet Union, there was seldom any real danger that such a conflict would occur except by accident. From the outset of the post-war period, both sides found it favorable to maintain the Cold War structure of international relations – the U.S. because it was stronger, and the Soviet Union because it was weaker and benefited from being treated as an equal. This situation brought a remarkable degree of peace to the two superpowers and their immediate spheres of influence – Western Europe and much of Latin America, in the case of the U.S., and Eastern Europe in the case of the Soviet Union, as “both superpowers… abandoned war as an instrument of policy against each other, since it was the equivalent of a suicide pact.” (229) The countries not directly influenced by the U.S. and Soviet Union, however, became a chess board on which the superpowers could compete through support of capitalist and communist governments, or through proxy wars as in Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-12-01, 6:55 PM #6
The only .txt I've got.

The Leetest Noob to Ever Pwn
John Thomas
6/5-25/05[Intro: Soft picking x4]

[Verse: Soft picking x4]
This is a story, about a boy you'll see
commonly playing Call of Duty MP,
who gives his hardest, but to no avail.
This is his story, his legendary tale.

[Verse: PMed powerchords x4]
He still bunnyhops after 1.2.
They say, "Defuse," but he has no clue.
He'll get TK'ed and wonder why,
Blocking doorways ain't gonna fly.

[Chorus: Strummed powerchords x8]
He's the leetest noob to ever pwn.
He's ready to clutch but, "brb phone."
He thinks the carbine is the greatest gun,
And won't stop throwing nades at the sun.

In a pub, you'd have never known.
He'll try his hardest to do something bold,
but in the end, he still gets rolled.

[Verse: PMed powerchords x8]
He's in a clan; they're pretty horrible.
Their colors are red white blue green and purple.
The tag is huge; they're like the gaudy brigade,
When they've got their lineup, it's the gay parade.

/record, it's time to scrim.
"how i rdy up?!?" They're all waiting on him.
His mates watch their backs, all afraid,
he'll get confused, and they'll get TK'ed.

He's ready to clutch but, "brb phone."
He thinks the carbine is the greatest gun,
And won't stop throwing nades at the sun.

In a pub, you'd have never known.
He'll try his hardest to do something bold,
but in the end, he still gets rolled.

[Verse: Soft picking (building up) x32]
The game is Brecourt, S&D.
He's on Allies, packing a Tommy.
They said "Rush A," but did he listen? No.
Now he's stuck, no friends and five foes.

He advances, heading for MG.
He hears a noise, proceeds to flee.
A guy runs out, begins to spray,
But our hero kills him, on this lucky day.

Two men hear, and come running out.
Our friend is doomed, without a doubt.
The first has a bolt, and tags him one,
The second's got a scope, and fires his gun.

The scope misses, and gets sprayed to the ground.
The bolter knows he needs only one fatal round.
But our hero's pinky slips tragically,
and taps shift; the bolter drops magically.

He pulls his colt for no reason at all.
He fires three rounds, another man falls.
Through two bushes, his bullets have flown.
The pistol headshot; someone got owned.

Their last man is the top of their team.
Our boy hasn't a chance, or so it would seem.
This guy puts the LL in skills,
With zero deaths, and seventeen kills.

He's sneaking up, to make the final blow,
little does our hero know.
The boy runs, throws a nade in the sky.
Time's running out; plant or die.

The villain's lost him, but hears the planting sound.
Stands up, begins to cover ground.
He turns the corner, thinks he's got it made,
But down falls his fate, that vertical nade.

He's finally clutched and they've all been shown
that in CoD, it would seem,
you can be a noob, and ace a whole team.

He's now 5 and 12; his ego has grown.
He tried his hardest, and did something great,
but in the end, he still ain't ****, mate.

[Verse: Very soft picking x2]
"Well what's his name?" you ask, "Can you go a bit further?"
Hey what can I say, but his name is -- Turtler.

(The end is an inside joke)
2006-12-01, 11:38 PM #7
Originally posted by Brian:
wtf is up with the tiny font, that is enough to make me not read it
AHHHHHHHHH

MBMBMBMBMB
2006-12-02, 1:41 AM #8
Her is New Text Document.txt from my desktop (it is the only text file I have written)!
[quote=New Text Document.txt]"What is the meaning of this!"
"Klaus, you know as well as I you haven't been as loyal to our organization as you should have been."
Klaus stood on his knees. With the blindfold removed his eyes became fearful.
"Herr Schröder, I was not aware it was you! You must believe me..."
"Klaus, do you remember when we met." It was not a question. "I spoke to you of the virtues in life. In return you have spat on them. A breach as grievous as this cannot go unpunished."
"Please..."
"No Klaus, die."
The body fell with a wet thud.[/quote]
2006-12-02, 1:50 AM #9
This is Central Station, how may I help you?
Agent p-32.
*click whiiirrrrr*
Central Station costumer service, Mr. 32. Is there a problem?
I've encountered an anomoly in sector three. One of the subjects is rejecting the program.
Central Station prides itself on customer service. Your comment will be reviewed shortly.
*click whiiiir*
Tom, this is Los. Dammit, did you just say there was a rejection?
Yeah, Los. A major one. Full awareness, from the looks of it.
Hell, Tom. You gotta terminate the ****er.
Damn. I'll get right on it, Los.
Sorry Tom, I know you grow to like them.
It's like they're my flock of sheep, Los.
In a way they are, Tom, in a way they are.
Ever wonder if what we're doing is wrong, Los?
Stella says that as long as they don't reject the program, they don't notice a thing. And when they reject it... well, they just can't go back to being the way they were.
I know.
Once they reject the program... they're usless to us and themselves.
I know, Los.
When they get like that... it's really more of a kindness than a cruelty. It's... like... mercy.
I know, Los. *sigh* I guess I should get on with it.
Don't let yourself get all strung out about it, Tom. There's nothing us grunts can do about it. Stella says that this is just how the whole thing is gonna have to be run for a while.
I know, Los. I'll go do it right now.
OK, Tom.
OK. Bye, Los.
Hey Tom.
Yeah Los?
Go make that subject an hero.
*click hummmmmmmmmm*

-From a while back. A lot of people say it reminds them of Dark City, which is kinda what I was going for.

↑ Up to the top!