Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Big time help needed
Big time help needed
2004-07-09, 7:48 AM #1
Okay, this is lame. Really lame. I tried upgrading my nvidia nForce2 mobo drivers, and nVidia decided that no...it didn't want to go...so I use driver cleaner, try again, and still no go. But I restart, to see if that'll help at all. Oh wait, windows decides it won't BOOT now. So I'm on SLAX (I love linux) LiveCD, and I've got to figure out how to do one of two things--one, run a .exe like the nvdida nforce update on here, or two, wipe my C:/ drive, put linux on there, then start from scratch. SERIOUSLY considering the latter. Windows has screwed me over too many times. Help is appreciated, and if you can give it to me live, my AIM is Dj Yoshmo, and I'm on Kopete. God I hate M$

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 8:02 AM #2
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Windows has screwed me over too many times.</font>

Me too. Between March and April, I had to reformat 9 times, because Windows kept corrupting itself. Sorry though, don't know what to do.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-09, 8:08 AM #3
I think I'm going to go with the *nix option. Now I just need to backup all my files...hrmm...

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 8:56 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:

Me too. Between March and April, I had to reformat 9 times, because Windows kept corrupting itself. Sorry though, don't know what to do.

</font>

same thing happened to me.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited July 09, 2004).]
2004-07-09, 9:40 AM #5
I seriously don't know what you guys do to Windows.

I have NEVER had to reformat my hard drive to fix windows - ever.

I've only had one problem with windows, where a program I installed screwed up a bunch of registry problem's, etc. But going back to a system restore point on the computer allowed me to fix it.

And this includes two computers with windows, and playing many games, running stuff, etc.
2004-07-09, 9:49 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:

I've only had one problem with windows, where a program I installed screwed up a bunch of registry problem's, etc. But going back to a system restore point on the computer allowed me to fix it.

And this includes two computers with windows, and playing many games, running stuff, etc.

</font>

Wow, so I'm not the only one in the entire universe. I always thought I was the only exception to GBK's "Windows Always sucks for everybody" rant.

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-07-09, 9:51 AM #7
You know don't turn this into a debate. I didn't say "windows sucks" or "windows will crash for everyone" because it won't. I knew someone was gonna post something like this. I just want some friggin help here. All I said is "windows has screwed me over too many times". Is it too much to ask for some help on which distro to choose/how do I install slackware from slax livecd?

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited July 09, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 10:30 AM #8
Did you try booting into safe mode? Are you sure you're installing the correct drivers? Why not just install the old ones? You can do step-by-step bootup and not load any special drivers if you want. You can also use the windows disk to restore the windows installation in case something important got deleted or modified (file integrity checker or something).

If you have having problems with an exe driver installation on windows, I'm not sure Linux is right for you.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-07-09, 10:32 AM #9
Quote:

</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mscbuck:
Wow, so I'm not the only one in the entire universe. I always thought I was the only exception to GBK's "Windows Always sucks for everybody" rant.

</font>

Same here.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-07-09, 10:33 AM #10
sorry i canst helps yous

------------------
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
2004-07-09, 10:36 AM #11
I tried safe mode, I tried everything. I have Corp from my uncle, but don't have the CD on me, he just gave me a ghost backup which wipes the HDD...which I may just do. Formats are good for the soul anyways. Trying to think of what I want/need backed up :\

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 10:43 AM #12
Calm down Dj Yoshi...

You stated your side, as others did on Windows causing them problems... "God I hate M$", "Windows has screwed me over too many times", "I had to reformat 9 times because Windows kept corrupting itself."

I just stated my comment.

I wasn't trying to start a debate.

Seems like people are getting very PMS'y on these forums lately.
2004-07-09, 10:45 AM #13
I didn't have to format 9 times. I stated I hate M$, and that I want some help to fix my problem. Not that I wanted a debate thread about Linux vs Windows.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 10:50 AM #14
Yes, I'm refering to the post after yours with that one.
2004-07-09, 10:57 AM #15
[oops]

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%

[This message has been edited by BobTheMasher (edited July 09, 2004).]
Warhead[97]
2004-07-09, 11:15 AM #16
Quote:

</font>

All I do is try to accomplish real work with it. (word processing, photoshopping, modeling with wings, etc.)

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-09, 12:58 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
I knew someone was gonna post something like this, either Detty or somebody. I just want some friggin help here.</font>

Actually, I decided against it.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-09, 2:01 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
Actually, I decided against it.</font>

Sorry for putting you on the spot, but you just seemed the most likely candidate.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!