Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → CNET editor gone missing; wife and daughter found
CNET editor gone missing; wife and daughter found
2006-12-05, 9:26 AM #1
http://news.com.com/CNET+editors+wife%2C+daughters+found+search+continues/2100-1028_3-6140676.html?tag=nefd.lede

Jesus. :(
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-12-05, 9:57 AM #2
JAMES! I believe G4 is to blame.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-05, 12:53 PM #3
Dang, I've watched a bunch of his video reviews. :(
2006-12-05, 12:55 PM #4
I've been following this since TWiT posted about it some days ago. It really sucks, especially given the fact that he left in a weakened state to find help a few days ago (in the bitter cold.) I'm glad his family is safe though. Only hope they can find him.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-12-06, 1:10 PM #5
James Kim found dead. :(
2006-12-06, 2:42 PM #6
The best thing to have when stranded in the wilderness is a lactating woman.

It seems that if he had stayed with the car, he would have made it. But it could also be that by leaving them, he allowed their limited supplies to last longer and actually saved his wife and children.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-12-06, 3:12 PM #7
Well in retrospect anything is possible. If he didn't go to find help there's a chance they would have never been found - but that wasn't the case.
2006-12-06, 3:30 PM #8
:( :( :( :( :(
2006-12-06, 3:31 PM #9
Oh my God. That's really sad. He was seriously one of the coolest dudes on TechTV. God dammit! This is seriously devistating.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-06, 4:15 PM #10
I don't understand what the hell they were doing on some back wood road. I know they missed the highway, but to decide to follow the road they were on instead of going back to the highway was a questionable choice.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-06, 4:19 PM #11
Everyone has had the inclination to take an alternate route at some point, generally they are more treacherous, but cut down on time. Unfortunately it did the former and not the latter for the Kims.
2006-12-06, 4:55 PM #12
What was the cause of death?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-12-06, 4:59 PM #13
Bear.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-12-06, 5:08 PM #14
Probably hypothermia.
2006-12-06, 5:41 PM #15
Hah! I remember when he reviewed a GPS phone and talked about back roads. :gbk:
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-06, 7:59 PM #16
Everyone knows if you're lost, stay where you are. ...well, almost everyone. Leaving the vehicle to go "find help"... I just can't express to you how stupid that sounds to me.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-12-06, 8:13 PM #17
I've also been following the story since it broke. Very sad to hear about James, though it is good to hear the rest of his family is okay. I'm sure that keeping his family safe was his number one priority.

As for him leaving the car, he waited until they had used all their gas and burned their tires. He probably figured they weren't going to last much longer, so he might as well try. I read somewhere that they followed his tracks back to the car, and that was how they found the wife and children. I don't know if that is true or not, but if it is then his leaving the car did have some merit.
2006-12-06, 8:34 PM #18
And I heard a helicopter pilot hired by their family spotted the woman waving an opened umbrella. So much for the facts...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-12-06, 9:51 PM #19
Originally posted by Freelancer:
And I heard a helicopter pilot hired by their family spotted the woman waving an opened umbrella. So much for the facts...

That's what I heard.
2006-12-07, 10:34 AM #20
http://www.ktvu.com/news/10436601/detail.html

They found the body of James Kim.

:smith:
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-12-07, 10:49 AM #21
Yeah, I posted a news link yesterday. I wonder what they actually expect to find from an autopsy. I think its pretty obvious what he died of. People keep saying he was shedding his clothes as "clues" to his whereabouts, but from what I've read, when hypothermia sets in, a person's body feels overheated - so he shedding his clothes could have just been a response to that.
2006-12-07, 12:37 PM #22
...I fail at reading comprehension :saddowns:
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-12-07, 1:28 PM #23
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Yeah, I posted a news link yesterday. I wonder what they actually expect to find from an autopsy. I think its pretty obvious what he died of. People keep saying he was shedding his clothes as "clues" to his whereabouts, but from what I've read, when hypothermia sets in, a person's body feels overheated - so he shedding his clothes could have just been a response to that.

No, when you get hypothermia, feeling hot isn't one of the symptoms. If he wasn't shedding his clothes to leave clues, he was doing it because his judgement was impaired or he was altered mentally.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-07, 1:32 PM #24
Originally posted by Avenger:
If he wasn't shedding his clothes to leave clues, he was doing it because his judgement was impaired or he was altered mentally.

Well according to wikipedia, symptoms of late stage hypothermia include confusion and irrational behaviour, so that would make sense.
2006-12-07, 1:33 PM #25
My info comes from my First Responder text book. If that's not accurate, the EMS system is screwed. :P
Pissed Off?
2006-12-07, 1:39 PM #26
Originally posted by Avenger:
My info comes from my First Responder text book. If that's not accurate, the EMS system is screwed. :P

Yeah, I was agreeing with you. You said his judgement might have been impaired, I said that that could be caused by hypothermia.
2006-12-07, 1:41 PM #27
I know. Just making sure no one comes in and *****es about Wiki being an unreliable source and so on. :)
Pissed Off?
2006-12-07, 2:47 PM #28
Rip :(
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod

↑ Up to the top!