Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What do you think of this for a speaker?
What do you think of this for a speaker?
2006-12-06, 7:37 PM #1
I'm in charge of Engineering Week or E-Week this year at our school. It's a tradition every year to have some sort of engineering related speaker give a talk during our open house, where high school students come in a recruiting event and the current students put on lots of activities. In recent years there has been low attendance, mostly due to the specific field of the topic (like there was a guy who designs computer chips, which only interested the people interested in EE and CSCE). So this year we wanted to get a speaker that everybody would be interested in seeing.

We decided we want to try and get Bill Nye (the Science Guy). The guy is expensive, but our financial guy for the college found money in a fund that fit our requirements. Everybody I've talked to thinks this is a fantastic idea and would take marketing for the university to a whole new level. Everybody that is, except for our dean, the one who controls the money. He feels that Bill Nye lacks engineering credibility. This is the Bill Nye that in addition to having a hugely successful TV show, has several patents, an engineering degree, and an honorary doctorate from Cornell.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Bill Nye a good idea or not? If not, do you have any ideas for other people?
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2006-12-06, 7:39 PM #2
I dunno, John Nash did a talk on Economics at my university and it didn't seem like a big deal...
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-12-06, 7:43 PM #3
People would definitely go to see him simply because he's Bill Nye. I hear he's a real ******* though.
2006-12-06, 7:47 PM #4
I'd go see Bill Nye and I'm no engineering major.
2006-12-06, 7:49 PM #5
Compared to who most schools bring in to speak at those sorts of thing, Bill Nye would be freaking awesome.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-12-06, 7:53 PM #6
The man knows what he's talking about, for sure. Bring him in!
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-12-06, 7:54 PM #7
Bill Nye came to our school once. You've got a choice when he comes though.

You either get a real informative Bill Nye (boring).
Or you get the Bill Nye from the TV show (AWSOME).

Insist that he puts baking soda in ballons and stuff instead of just talking all the time.
2006-12-06, 9:11 PM #8
That would be so cool. I wish Bill Nye would come to my school.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-12-06, 9:12 PM #9
I want to get John Stossel to be our speaker
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-12-07, 8:02 AM #10
My friend and I want Bill Cosby to speak at our high school graduation. That'll be a tough one.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-12-07, 11:05 AM #11
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
My friend and I want Bill Cosby to speak at our high school graduation. That'll be a tough one.

Y'see, grad students are like Jell-O pudding, with their hippin and their hoppin, down the slope, Zip-zop zippy doo bop, heh heh heh.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-12-07, 11:18 AM #12
Sounds excellent.
D E A T H
2006-12-08, 9:01 PM #13
Originally posted by Tracer:
That would be so cool. I wish Bill Nye would come to my school.

Yes.

I haven't seen a Bill Nye show for years. Are they still on?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-12-08, 10:10 PM #14
I used to show Bill Nye in class!

He's my hero! <3
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-12-11, 10:37 AM #15
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'm going in the right direction with this.
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2006-12-11, 10:42 AM #16
beakman was cooler, i thought.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM

↑ Up to the top!