Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Suggestions for Scotch?
Suggestions for Scotch?
2006-12-07, 3:55 PM #1
One of my favorite teachers is retiring after winter semester 2007, so my friends and I would like to go in on a bottle of Scotch for him as a retirement gift. I had jokingly asked if a beer per extra point on the final were suitable, and he promptly replied that he much preferred single-malt Scotch, so, here I be.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking at a $50+ range.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-12-07, 3:58 PM #2
It all depends on how prompt he replied.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-12-07, 4:01 PM #3
Johnny Walker Blue Label.
>>untie shoes
2006-12-07, 4:04 PM #4
Look for single malt.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-12-07, 4:05 PM #5
Balvenie is good.

cant remember what else i drink.

i'll get back to you.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-12-07, 4:10 PM #6
Glengoyne.

Get a proper bottle of Whisky from Scotland. :P
nope.
2006-12-07, 4:56 PM #7
Originally posted by Antony:
Johnny Walker Blue Label.

Nope. It's blended, not single-malt.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-12-07, 5:07 PM #8
I've heard good things about Jura, from the Isle of Jura in Scotland. It seems like a pretty smooth Scotch, so it'll satisfy someone looking for Scotch whisky, but without being too heavy or peaty (Which apparently other Islay whiskies are known for), so it won't be difficult to please the palate.

[Annendum]
For clarification, Jura isn't an Islay, it's from an island near Islay.
And my knowledge of Scotch is pedestrian, at best. I don't really drink much of it, although I do like Drambuie, which is a cordial made of Scotch mixed with honey and herbs. You may want to look into that, but it sounds like you're going for fancier.
:master::master::master:

↑ Up to the top!