Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Image Corner - What features do YOU want?
Image Corner - What features do YOU want?
2004-07-07, 10:08 AM #1
Pommy and I are considering a revamp of the Image Corner, and while we're at it, we'd like to know what you alll would want to see done to the IC! What features would you like implemented? Do you have any complaints? Drop a post and let us know!

But just so you all know, these are things that will not change:

1. It will stay images only.
2. It will stay at 8 images, maximum.
3. The filesize per image maximum will stay at 1MB.

And some ideas I have been tossing around: (Feel free to post your ideas about these, they aren't set in stone)
1. Allow users to obtain a lost password via the script
2. Random Image Displayer on the front page, sorta like the SotD on Massassi.
3. Private Image Accounts, where a user's images cannot be viewed on the View Profile page, nor by directory listings. Only direct links.
4. Multi-file uploads and deletions
5. Option to hide email addresses on View User Profiles page.
6. Moderator system, so special moderator users have special access, including the ability to delete user images, and report misuse to administrators (Me and Pommy).
7. Give Moderators special privledges, such as larger image capacity.
8. Allow PNG-format images

I think that's all for now, but feel free to add any ideas of your own, or shoot down or change any of mine.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-07-07, 10:35 AM #2
Thumbnails? Or are those already there? I haven't been to the IC in a long while.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-07, 10:37 AM #3
Oh, no .. no thumbnails. I just recently made a thumbnail script for zully, tho, so that'll be very easy to implement.

Keep em comin.

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

[1337 FRNDS_Pommy | 3.14 of 14 | » And-GTx2]
Half-Life 2 Central - your definitive source for everything HL2!
一个大西瓜
2004-07-07, 10:49 AM #4
let us post pr0n

------------------
What once was...
2004-07-07, 10:51 AM #5
Allow ALL file types, as long as it's 1MB or under.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-07, 12:51 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Allow ALL file types, as long as it's 1MB or under.

</font>

Notice the bit above that says we will only do images? Yeah, we mean it.

There's many reasons behind it. One is the fact that it is the IMAGE CORNER, not the FILE CORNER. Second off, a general file storage system would equate to getting complete webhosting. That is not the IC's purpose. And we would have a much harder time monitoring content, since we would have to deal with MP3's, videos, etc, even with the file size restriction. Not to mention all these archaic extensions that we can't open.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
2004-07-07, 1:08 PM #7
no no, my fault. I meant ANY image type. like bmps and the lot as long as it's under the 1MB.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-07, 1:14 PM #8
Captions.

Be able to post a caption or blurb about each image like the EC here.

------------------
Inter arma silent leges
The Gas Station
2004-07-07, 1:15 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:

6. Moderator system, so special moderator users have special access, including the ability to delete user images, and report misuse to administrators (Me and Pommy).
7. Give Moderators special privledges, such as larger image capacity.
</font>

Dang, does this mean I have to remove my 8 nekkid pix?
DO NOT WANT.
2004-07-07, 1:35 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
no no, my fault. I meant ANY image type. like bmps and the lot as long as it's under the 1MB.

</font>

It's hard to support every type, since we don't know all types, and we have to enable every single type. Not to mention, BMPs are rarely used, and oftentimes larger than 1MB anyway.

------------------
2004-07-07, 3:02 PM #11
The ability to post .GIFs? (I have no idea whether you can do that already or not; I've never used it in any case)

How about taking out the part where you need an e-mail address to sign up... I only have 4 e-mail addresses and I might need to host more than 24 pictures... Oops, did I say that out loud?

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-07-07, 3:43 PM #12
you can use PHPs functions to get the filetype of an image, and you can use getimagesize() to verify that it is indeed a true image. then you can compare the results to a list of "allowed" file types... all pretty straightforward. I would suggest allowing gif, png, and jpg, as those are really the only web-usable image formats

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-07-07, 3:50 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:
The ability to post .GIFs? (I have no idea whether you can do that already or not; I've never used it in any case)

How about taking out the part where you need an e-mail address to sign up... I only have 4 e-mail addresses and I might need to host more than 24 pictures... Oops, did I say that out loud?

</font>

No can do on that. It allows us to contact you in case of account problems, or ban you if your naughty. (Although I can ban by IP, I perfer not to. It is not always effective.)

Brian: Well, as soon as we introduce PNG, we will support all three of those formats. That's why I don't see the reason behind supporting BMP, or even PSD.

------------------
2004-07-07, 3:58 PM #14
I thought pngs were already supported .. that is, it was jpg, jpeg, gif, and png.

Blah brian, I wish you had told me that 2 years ago .. my image-checking algorithm is very weak and simple [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

一个大西瓜
2004-07-07, 4:18 PM #15
Daily pictures of hawt sex0rz everyday. NOW.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 4:37 PM #16
Allow the images to have filenames instead of numbers.

------------------
"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-07-07, 6:20 PM #17
the numbers were to make sure no wackass filenames would be uploaded, and to make sure the script wouldn't attempt to upload an image with a name that already existed -- however, this can be changed .. it'll just have to be that if you DO upload an image by the same name, a bunch of numbers will be concatenated to the end of the new one. Is that ok? Or should I just make it so it displays an error "file with this name already exists"?

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

一个大西瓜
2004-07-08, 1:38 PM #18
Ooooooh I have an idea. Integrate the image corner with that photography contest thingy that was floating around a while back.

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-07-08, 4:44 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pommy:
the numbers were to make sure no wackass filenames would be uploaded, and to make sure the script wouldn't attempt to upload an image with a name that already existed -- however, this can be changed .. it'll just have to be that if you DO upload an image by the same name, a bunch of numbers will be concatenated to the end of the new one. Is that ok? Or should I just make it so it displays an error "file with this name already exists"?

</font>

File with this name already exists would be fine... I don't think anybody would try to upload two files with the same name.

------------------
"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-07-09, 6:42 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:
Ooooooh I have an idea. Integrate the image corner with that photography contest thingy that was floating around a while back.

</font>

I'm not familiar with that contest .. fill me in?

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

一个大西瓜
2004-07-09, 10:13 PM #21
Hoow about, with thumbnails, a textarea with text you can copy/paste into various forums. For example, for ubb, it will have something like:

[/path/to/thumbnail]

And then you could have one for phpbb, one for vbulletin, etc. That way it's easy to post pictures/thumbnails [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log

↑ Up to the top!