Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Liquid water on Mars!!
Liquid water on Mars!!
2006-12-09, 7:30 PM #1
not sure if this is old news or not, but I was checkin out nassa.gov and found the article.. there are some realyl good pictures of the "water springs"

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/figures/PIA09030_fig7_anno.jpg

they say the way they form is, liquid water comes from deep inside mars where it's still warm, but freezes once it gets to the surface... over time, the frozen water acts like a dam keeping the liquid water where it's hot until enough pressure builds up, and it shoots out like a geyser... pretty cool stuff

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/figures/PIA09030_fig2_anno.jpg

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/figures/PIA09030_fig1_anno.jpg

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/figures/PIA09030_fig3_anno.jpg

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/figures/PIA09030_fig4_anno.jpg

They say the dark streaks are the new eruptions, while the light streaks are older ones...

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/figures/PIA09030_fig10_anno.jpg

this pic is of new sediments being unearthed because of the liquid water

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/figures/PIA09027_fig1_anno.jpg

Edit: more pics added
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-12-09, 7:44 PM #2
This may simplify colonizing Mars if it really does point to active springs of water.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-12-09, 7:44 PM #3
That's pretty cool, but the pictures really don't help me. NASA could claim they're filled with fairy wings coated in chocolate and I'd pretty much have no choice but to believe them.
2006-12-09, 7:45 PM #4
Mmmm tasty tasty water. Can't wait to go there.
Stuff
2006-12-09, 7:46 PM #5
basically the dark lines are new streams of fresh sediment... the lighter ones have been covered partially but the dust that is in the air that basically has settled on top of the new sediment... does that help out a bit?
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-12-09, 7:52 PM #6
Originally posted by tinny:
This may simplify colonizing Mars if it really does point to active springs of water.

I think another thing to consider is liquid water could mean simple life.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-12-09, 8:02 PM #7
SPACE FISH!!!!!!

I want to be the first person to eat one!
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-12-09, 8:03 PM #8
What about catching the martian plague?
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-12-09, 9:07 PM #9
make sure it's cooked all the way through? :confused:
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-12-09, 9:14 PM #10
Originally posted by Spiral:
SPACE FISH!!!!!!

I want to be the first person to eat one!

Yeah... and **** it.

-People would be like, "There he goes. Homeboy ****ed a martian once."
2006-12-09, 9:38 PM #11
That might be a pretty cool discovery, but how can they know that it isn't some sort of gas, strange phenomenon, or a liquid -other- than water?
2006-12-09, 9:48 PM #12
Originally posted by Jarl:
Yeah... and **** it.

-People would be like, "There he goes. Homeboy ****ed a martian once."

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/ugh.jpg]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-12-09, 10:37 PM #13
Originally posted by Axis:
That might be a pretty cool discovery, but how can they know that it isn't some sort of gas, strange phenomenon, or a liquid -other- than water?

I guess they're assuming that since water is so simple to produce chemically it's by far the most likely scenario.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-12-09, 11:48 PM #14
This was presented in a press release.. thursday (or friday). Pretty cool stuff.

I approve!
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-12-09, 11:49 PM #15
Too bad there's no, like, plants or anything...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-12-09, 11:52 PM #16
Those would come soon enough...
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-12-10, 12:01 AM #17
That's cool.

But what would be cooler?

Biker Mice from Mars.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-12-10, 1:41 AM #18
Originally posted by Echoman:
Picture.

Was that in response to the Clerks 2 quote, or Jarl thinking he could be as cool as Jay? 'Cause, if it's the former, your opinion is very wrong.

You get points for using Carl, though.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-12-10, 9:19 AM #19
terraform it!

[http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mfogg/carroll.jpg]
Pyro Universe The ultimate fireworks site!
2006-12-11, 3:08 PM #20
So, again, why do they spending billions of dollars to find a stupid water on a rock in the middle of space? How it this useful or interesting? Even if there are microbes in it, so what? There are still plenty of microbes left study on earth.
2006-12-11, 3:14 PM #21
I think the interesting part is that the microbes aren't on Earth.
2006-12-11, 3:19 PM #22
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
So, again, why do they spending billions of dollars to find a stupid water on a rock in the middle of space? How it this useful or interesting? Even if there are microbes in it, so what? There are still plenty of microbes left study on earth.

Because that stupid water on a rock in the middle of space is going to be the future of humanity. Seriously, what would you rather we invest our money in?
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-12-11, 3:47 PM #23
Originally posted by Roach:
Because that stupid water on a rock in the middle of space is going to be the future of humanity. Seriously, what would you rather we invest our money in?

Twinkies. Lots and lots of twinkies.
2006-12-11, 4:07 PM #24
it seems to me that Obi_Kwiet is just trying to start an argument
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-12-11, 4:08 PM #25
Originally posted by Detty:
I guess they're assuming that since water is so simple to produce chemically it's by far the most likely scenario.

They actually mention this in the article, go check it out.
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-12-11, 4:34 PM #26
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

Typical conservative Christian attitude. Knowledge, science? Bah! All we need is the Lord! :rolleyes:

[/flamebait]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-12-11, 4:53 PM #27
I offer the following challenge to everybody who believes that spending tax money on space exploration is stupid:

Let's continue what we're doing. My descendants will leave the planet as soon as it's possible. Your descendants will stay here. Whoever survives the longest wins.

Ready? GO!
2006-12-11, 5:02 PM #28
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I offer the following challenge to everybody who believes that spending tax money on space exploration is stupid:

Let's continue what we're doing. My descendants will leave the planet as soon as it's possible. Your descendants will stay here. Whoever survives the longest wins.

Ready? GO!

Haha, I'll have to remember that one.
2006-12-11, 5:47 PM #29
Originally posted by Jon`C:

Ready? GO!

It's seems that my descendants have a bit of an advantage when it comes to starting resources.

And no, you may not have any of our air.

I really don't see how a plant with no natural resources has an advantage over a planet with declining natural resources. Anyway, have fun with your geysers.
2006-12-11, 5:57 PM #30
Does anyone complain about spending after there is a scientific breakthrough? If 100 years later, would people look back and say, "My God, they shouldn't have bothered with such a price tag!"

Compared to what the government spends on other programs, like funding the war, atleast there can be some good coming out of NASA and science. But screw it, what has science and exploration has done for humanity?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-12-11, 6:01 PM #31
Originally posted by Echoman:
Does anyone complain about spending after there is a scientific breakthrough? If 100 years later, would people look back and say, "My God, they shouldn't have bothered with such a price tag!"

I wish we hadnt wasted so much money on airplanes. They suck. So do engines. They suck more, actually, because they make airplanes possible, and they killed the days of tall sailing ships. Screw you engines!

o.0
2006-12-11, 6:01 PM #32
Originally posted by Obi:
It's seems that my descendants have a bit of an advantage when it comes to starting resources.

And no, you may not have any of our air.

I really don't see how a plant with no natural resources has an advantage over a planet with declining natural resources. Anyway, have fun with your geysers.

No resources? What are you talking about? Mars would have deposites of minerals. We wouldn't need "our air," we could begin to terraform Mars over the next half century, eventually it would support plant life, and later, animal life. The advantage over our planet of declining resources is just that: they're declining resources. They won't be here forever, just as they won't be on any planet forever. Your descendants, if they follow your beliefs, will stay on Earth until there are no minerals left, that is, if the atmosphere doesn't become toxic first. And no, you may not have any of our air.
omnia mea mecum porto

↑ Up to the top!