Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Verizon can't do math
Verizon can't do math
2006-12-10, 6:18 AM #1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0HyxQv97Q

There is a difference between

.002 dollars
.002 cents
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-12-10, 6:37 AM #2
bwhahahahahah

(used to work for verizon)
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-12-10, 6:38 AM #3
35893*.00002=.71786 so he owes 72 cents not 71 cents or $71.79
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-12-10, 12:01 PM #4
Math is not his strong suit. :eek:
Pissed Off?
2006-12-10, 12:43 PM #5
... This guy's got too much time. I understand the argument, but this is still pretty stupid.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-10, 12:58 PM #6
I agree.. I mean, there's a serious difference in price, but at the end of the day, he's making a mountain out of a mole-hill and trying to make a lot of people feel stupid. Who would ever honestly believe that a cell provider would give a reasonable rate for wireless data? at .002 cents per KB, he'd get 20GB worth of wireless traffic for ~$40. There's no way in hell any wireless company would charge that. That's almost like having a full fledged ISP in your pocket.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-12-10, 1:06 PM #7
I can't believe no one got it, though. Especially when the girl ends up saying "Yeah, .005 is half a cent. Look, I don't understand what you're trying to say?"

That would frustrate me beyond all belief.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-10, 1:29 PM #8
This has me laughing.
2006-12-10, 1:31 PM #9
Unit Conversion Rates are a matter of opinion apprently.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2006-12-10, 2:24 PM #10
Originally posted by Yecti:
I agree.. I mean, there's a serious difference in price, but at the end of the day, he's making a mountain out of a mole-hill and trying to make a lot of people feel stupid. Who would ever honestly believe that a cell provider would give a reasonable rate for wireless data? at .002 cents per KB, he'd get 20GB worth of wireless traffic for ~$40. There's no way in hell any wireless company would charge that. That's almost like having a full fledged ISP in your pocket.

But if they say .002 cents and then they charge me .002 dollars I would be pissed too.. We all know cell phone providers are out to steal our money but if they are the ones quoting prices and lieing about it, that's a problem.
2006-12-10, 3:59 PM #11
.02 dollars is nonexistant :(
there dumb too.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2006-12-10, 4:12 PM #12
.02 dollars is two cents.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-10, 5:09 PM #13
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
But if they say .002 cents and then they charge me .002 dollars I would be pissed too.. We all know cell phone providers are out to steal our money but if they are the ones quoting prices and lieing about it, that's a problem.

Following what a screen tells them to charge, and lying are two entirely different things. I think this guy, rather than talking to any of these supervisors, should ask to speak to a member of Verizon's claims and accounting department, explain his situation, ask for them to honor their mistake and allow Verizon to fix the misprint in their software.

Cell phone providers aren't trying to steal anyone's money. They offer a service, outline terms, and you agree to them. They're usually among the best documented terms of any service you can purchase. The issue is that nobody reads what they agree to and end up with what they see as an unfair charge. I admit that in this case (as well as the case you had prior [I think it was your thread]), the provider made a mistake, and should take care of their client, but this dude is being a douche. If he had spoken to any of our Corporate staff at Geek Squad in the manner that he is with these reps, he wouldn't get anywhere either.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-12-10, 5:17 PM #14
Originally posted by Elana14:
.02 dollars is nonexistant :(
there dumb too.

2006-12-10, 5:18 PM #15
..They told him it was .002 cents, then said .002 cents = .002 dollars. How is it his fault they cant grasp basic math?

o.0
2006-12-10, 5:26 PM #16
I learned how to convert dollar to cents in 3rd grade or something like that. They should be able to figure it out. Seriously.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-10, 5:35 PM #17
If he had spoken to any of our Corporate staff at Geek Squad in the manner that he is with these reps, he wouldn't get anywhere either.

Don't take this the wrong way, but...why do you go waving the Geek Squad epenis at every possible opportunity?

I love the part at about 12:15 when it seems the guy actually got through to the supervisor and the supervisor had to put him on hold. :D
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-12-10, 6:49 PM #18
Originally posted by Emon:
Don't take this the wrong way, but...why do you go waving the Geek Squad epenis at every possible opportunity?
Because he can't wave it on /. without getting laughed at.

I think this man has the patience of a saint. Not only is he having to conduct billing disputes with people who never finished elementary school-level math, but if people would take a moment to quit stroking their neckbeards and intellectually masturbating over their careers, they'd notice that this isn't the first call he's made to these people about it.
2006-12-10, 7:00 PM #19
If you don't want to listen for 22 minutes and would rather read the transcript,

http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/

scroll down to Dec 9th.

(The blog also has an update on the story -- an email from Verizon addressing the issue)
一个大西瓜
2006-12-10, 7:44 PM #20
1 dollar = 100 cents

.002 dollars > .002 cents

Convert

.002 X 100 = 0.2 (20 cents)

0.2 > 0.002
Back again
2006-12-10, 8:03 PM #21
.002 dollars is 0.2 cents, not 20 cents.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-10, 8:32 PM #22
As stated on the blog, if Verizon just quoted $2.05/Mb, the whole argument could be avoided.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-12-10, 8:37 PM #23
sorry, i forgot sarcasm tags.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2006-12-10, 9:36 PM #24
Dear lord... that was the most painful recording I've ever listened to. I hope everyone that guy talked to was fired!
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-12-10, 10:05 PM #25
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Dear lord... that was the most painful recording I've ever listened to. I hope everyone that guy talked to was fired!

I just came back to my PC from a few hours ago to finish up the recording. It's where he talks to the girl at the end. I'm literally taking a break from it because it's painful.
2006-12-11, 8:51 AM #26
This is why math needs to be taught in school.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-12-11, 6:53 PM #27
oh my mistake. .2 cents is not 20 my mistake. I was thinking about something else
Back again
2006-12-11, 9:23 PM #28
Hey Warlock I think Verizon might have a job opportunity for you...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-12-11, 9:31 PM #29
He's not great at explaining this (especially the second time around), but there's still no reason why they shouldn't understand.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-12-11, 9:35 PM #30
To his credit, it's difficult to explain something that is common knowledge. It also becomes increasingly difficult when they just don't get it.
2006-12-11, 9:38 PM #31
Oh, definitely. And if he was really on the phone for 45 minutes even before the beginning of this recording, it's completely understandable that it would get frustrating to have to explain the same thing over and over.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-12-12, 2:15 AM #32
I was surprised at how he little he insulted them and got angry. Maybe I'm just used to the internet. :P
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-12-12, 4:18 AM #33
Following what a screen tells them to charge, and lying are two entirely different things. I think this guy, rather than talking to any of these supervisors, should ask to speak to a member of Verizon's claims and accounting department, explain his situation, ask for them to honor their mistake and allow Verizon to fix the misprint in their software.

Cell phone providers aren't trying to steal anyone's money. They offer a service, outline terms, and you agree to them. They're usually among the best documented terms of any service you can purchase. The issue is that nobody reads what they agree to and end up with what they see as an unfair charge. I admit that in this case (as well as the case you had prior [I think it was your thread]), the provider made a mistake, and should take care of their client, but this dude is being a douche. If he had spoken to any of our Corporate staff at Geek Squad in the manner that he is with these reps, he wouldn't get anywhere either.

I'm pretty sure we was speaking with customer service which would handle any kind of billing issues.

Regardless if it was a mistaken lie, it still wasn't the truth. Verizon messed up, and that guy honestly belived he was only paying $.00002 per kb. It's very frustrating when you know you are right and nobody will help you out of ignorance.

Whether or not he is was douche, as your client you should always show respect and help them. It's called cusomter service. I would only hope that staff at Geek Squad eats and sleeps this. I know how irate people can become over computers, especially when it's f****ed up over something "you" did. (Because they love to blame the people who know what they are talking about)
2006-12-13, 9:06 PM #34
still cant do math:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wAVKOElCkz4&mode=related&search=
2006-12-13, 9:48 PM #35
Holy crap. They won't refund him? Do they realize how much this'll probably cost them on the long run?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-13, 10:14 PM #36
Verizon hires morons.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!