Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Recommend Me a MP3 Player
Recommend Me a MP3 Player
2006-12-12, 3:29 PM #1
My mom has decided that she wants an MP3 player for christmas.

I'm looking for something in the 2GB range, with a screen and FM radio. Also, there needs to be some sort of speaker dock, that's white, for it. Also, it would be nice to have a remote and the dock recharges the player. I will not buy Apple/iPod.

Any suggestions/recommendations from your guy's experiences?

Thanks
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2006-12-12, 3:40 PM #2
iRiver and iAudio are good places to look. I'm not sure about the speaker dock, although I think both lines have docks available (possibly made by third parties). Check out the iAudio 6, it looks pretty slick. It has a neat touch-sensitive slide interface, kind of like the iPod, but not. iAudio also makes some cool personal media players, which are MP3 players with large screens capable of playing videos (even XViD!).
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-12-12, 4:25 PM #3
To be honest, the nano almost exactly fits your wants. I dunno why you refuse to buy apple/ipod, but whatever.

I don't know about speaker docks, but the iAudio flash line is excellent as well.
D E A T H
2006-12-12, 4:40 PM #4
The Nano has an FM radio??
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-12-12, 4:44 PM #5
No. That's only thing on the list that it lacks. That's why he said "almost".
Pissed Off?
2006-12-12, 5:18 PM #6
Originally posted by Avenger:
No. That's only thing on the list that it lacks. That's why he said "almost".

Yeah, that and there's an addon for an FM radio for it.
D E A T H
2006-12-12, 5:23 PM #7
And it's more expensive, and sucks, but sure.
2006-12-12, 5:34 PM #8
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7956401&st=samsung+mp3&type=product&id=1153336094919

Samsung makes great stuff from my experience, and this plugs straight in to charge like any flash drive. The only thing it lacks from your description is the speaker dock and remote, which are just weird anyway.
2006-12-12, 5:55 PM #9
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]And it's more expensive, and sucks, but sure.[/QUOTE]
Not that bad. PS, taking anything from CM that has to do with Apple seriously...is a mistake. A huge one.
D E A T H
2006-12-12, 7:14 PM #10
I can probably compromise on the speaker.

I like the iAudio idea and I did find some good Samsung stuff since I made this post, I maybe going that route.

I don't want this to degrade into a debate, but No Apple: DRM, don't want iTunes to put music on the thing, and it doesn't need to hold your hand so much that it thinks it knows what you want better than you do.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I may be able to make this work.
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2006-12-12, 7:24 PM #11
yosh, do you still recommend the Zune for any MP3 case?
2006-12-12, 7:58 PM #12
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Not that bad. PS, taking anything from CM that has to do with Apple seriously...is a mistake. A huge one.[/QUOTE]

:downs:

Both iRiver and iAudio are very capable and (much better than apple) greater players.
2006-12-12, 9:39 PM #13
i agree with cm.

the only problem i have with my iRiver PMP is the need to defragment it. it does everything else i want flawlessly.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-12-12, 10:42 PM #14
Originally posted by Anovis:
yosh, do you still recommend the Zune for any MP3 case?

If you're in the market, yeah, the Zune is fine.

Also, I agree that iRiver and iAudio are good players, and I like them better than Apple's. But seriously, the Apple players aren't bad, and certainly aren't horrendous like some people think.

That said, you don't need DRM'd music on your 'pod, Aaron, but I understand not wanting to use iTunes. I hate the player myself.

Anyways, I say look into Creative's line, though you do need specialized software, it's drag and drop. Their Vision:M plus or whatever is awesome from what I've seen. Also look at the iRiver Clix, sleek little *******.
D E A T H
2006-12-12, 11:10 PM #15
THE ZUNE... is so awesome. I have had the pleasure of using one. My friend's dad actually won the design contest between the Microsoft designers. (he got to drive the boss' Ferrari for the weekend as a prize) Despite it being just a way to edge into the market and set up for future, better players, its sooo nice. If I had the money, I would be ALL over it. It has great styling, an amazing screen, good battery life for the screen size, a fantastic user interface, and lots of accessories and options. It has a good FM receiver, so it can display song titles and artists being sent over the air through the radio stations, something I really wish I had in my car or on my stereo... User interface background is customizable, you can put any image you want on it. Basically, its the coolest thing to hit the market, in my opinion. It doesn't scratch as easy as the iPod, it looks better, its fresh, new and creative, as well as reliable and easy to use (haven't heard any complaints yet).
Thats what I think. But you're only looking for a 2 gig player so this WAY outclasses (and outprices, I'm sure) what you are looking for.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-12-13, 3:58 PM #16
Originally posted by Aaron:
I don't want this to degrade into a debate, but No Apple: DRM, don't want iTunes to put music on the thing, and it doesn't need to hold your hand so much that it thinks it knows what you want better than you do.

What?
2006-12-13, 5:58 PM #17
Get a Creative Zen its made by a sound company and its pretty cheap, durable, and very easy to sync with Windows Media Player. I have a 10 gig microphoto and I strongly recommend it, comes complete with an internal microphone which I used today ->Me playing the piano<- . I think you can probably get a 40 gig one for 200 bucks.

↑ Up to the top!