Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Windows OSX. Or maybe OSXP
Windows OSX. Or maybe OSXP
2006-12-13, 10:19 AM #1
http://lifehacker.com/software/parallels/hack-attack-how-to-run-windows-and-mac-apps-sidebyside-with-parallels-221002.php

How freaking cool is that.

Although at the same time it would really really confuse me if I was running OSX and winamp appeared.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-12-13, 10:21 AM #2
Is that the best of both worlds?

Is this qualified as a tech forum thread?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-12-13, 10:27 AM #3
Holy ****. That's amazing!

This is great news. I'm honestly really thinking about doing this, now. I'm getting a new box, and I could TOTALLY get a mac and dual-boot XP and Mac just like this. Will it work with OSX and Vista?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-13, 10:31 AM #4
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Holy ****. That's amazing!

This is great news. I'm honestly really thinking about doing this, now. I'm getting a new box, and I could TOTALLY get a mac and dual-boot XP and Mac just like this. Will it work with OSX and Vista?

Dude... you get happy and all OMG-like over the smallest things... :P
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-12-13, 10:35 AM #5
i wont be happy until something impossible happens.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-12-13, 10:37 AM #6
Yeah, i read about this a few weeks ago, will make it very nice for developing websites on a mac. Once I can afford a mac...
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-12-13, 10:52 AM #7
Originally posted by Jep:
Dude... you get happy and all OMG-like over the smallest things... :P

heheheheh
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-12-13, 11:01 AM #8
I'm only 3 feet tall. "Small" is different for me.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-13, 11:12 AM #9
Now if I am to understand, OSX will run on any intel PC now, right?

So if I go get OSX and install it I can do this?

And you could do this on a macbook pro easily right?
2006-12-13, 11:15 AM #10
Keep in mind that Parallels is virtualization software, so don't expect to run the latest games on a Mac.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-12-13, 11:19 AM #11
I don't. But it'd still be pretty sweet. And it looks like it keeps getting better.
2006-12-13, 11:41 AM #12
OSX will run on an intel mac processor, it won't work on a standard intel processor without some serious hackery.

So you have to buy a Mac.

Parallels lets you run windows software in parallel with OSX on a Mac. It's of most use to developers who want to use Macs because of the nice development tools but need use of windows applications too.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-12-13, 12:17 PM #13
Originally posted by Detty:
It's of most use to developers who want to use Macs because of the nice development tools but need use of windows applications too.

Or indeed engineers who like to do their day to day gubbins in OSX and use hardcore deisgn software that's windows only without changing machines :D

I want an intel mac :(
2006-12-13, 12:53 PM #14
I know a guy that does web development on a Mac, uses this to test stuff in IE.
2006-12-13, 4:48 PM #15
Perhaps i'm missing something, but how is this different than something like VMware? (other than the fact that it is for the mac)

What WOULD be cool is if it was a compatibility layer like Wine. (I know that wine works on some flavors of BSD, which OSX is similar to, IIRC)
2006-12-13, 5:04 PM #16
It could be like wine... that's the only way i can think of that it could possibly do what it's doing.

2006-12-14, 11:47 AM #17
Dudes... someone did this at my school like 2 weeks after the macintels were released.
>>untie shoes
2006-12-14, 1:29 PM #18
Originally posted by Antony:
Dudes... someone did this at my school like 2 weeks after the macintels were released.

No he didn't. Did you even read the article? It's not just running XP with Parallels, it's better integration by letting you run applications from the VM environment along with the rest of your desktop.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!