Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Imaginary numbers.
Imaginary numbers.
2006-12-13, 7:12 PM #1
That was the lesson today for math. Just curious, is there an alt code that can make the special "i" for the imaginary number.

It's you get the square root of a negative number such as -1. Radical negative one is an imaginary number.

Thank you.
Back again
2006-12-13, 7:24 PM #2
í ðôñ†, §ö®®ÿ.
My blawgh.
2006-12-13, 7:25 PM #3
You might use the lowercase iota symbol from the character map. That will just be the symbol though.
If you get the Windows XP Powertoy Calculator then you can use the "a + bi" form in actual calculations.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2006-12-13, 7:29 PM #4
[url]www.google.com[/url]

It's mainly an italicized 'i' or i. If you use 'i' in math...and who understand math will most likely get that i = sqrt(-1)
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-12-13, 7:41 PM #5
Oh, seems like I'm too late. Well, before I posted this post I thought of what JediGandalf always says "www.google.com" so I went there and searched and didn't find it.

At school when people ask me questions you can find on google, I tell them, to google it. Made my life easier because people ask me alot of questions.
Back again
2006-12-13, 7:57 PM #6
i is what I learnt. Except I just write it i in books, because bolding and stuff with pens is crappy.

Except this could be confused with vectors in the i, j, k notation.

Eh.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-12-13, 8:36 PM #7
That is actually EXTREMELY confusing because it's convention to bold vectors in many textbooks, etc.

I just write a normal i. I mean, who the hell uses i as a variable?
一个大西瓜
2006-12-13, 8:37 PM #8
[QUOTE=- Tony -]i is what I learnt. Except I just write it i in books, because bolding and stuff with pens is crappy.

Except this could be confused with vectors in the i, j, k notation.

Eh.[/QUOTE]
not really, as vector notation is supposed to have the ^ above the i/j/k.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-12-13, 9:04 PM #9
Originally posted by Pommy:
That is actually EXTREMELY confusing because it's convention to bold vectors in many textbooks, etc.

Electricians use i as the variable for current. j is used to denote imaginary numbers instead.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2006-12-13, 10:06 PM #10
Originally posted by Pommy:
...every programmer known to god...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-12-13, 10:24 PM #11
Originally posted by Bobbert:
Electricians use i as the variable for current. j is used to denote imaginary numbers instead.

Yep. And I'll tell you what it makes the maths 10 times easier to use complex analysis.

God bless Euler and his crazy functions :v:
2006-12-13, 10:26 PM #12
Originally posted by Bobbert:

Usually when I've seen that (in Physics) it's been written as I (uppercase), and J (uppercase) is used for impulse.

Originally posted by Freelancer:
...every programmer known to god...

I meant in math.
一个大西瓜
2006-12-13, 11:06 PM #13
What's the difference?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-12-13, 11:19 PM #14
I use i constantly in programming but I've never used it in algebra? haha
一个大西瓜
2006-12-13, 11:33 PM #15
e^(pi * i) = -1.

That's just silly.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-12-13, 11:56 PM #16
Originally posted by happydud:
e^(pi * i) = -1.

That's just silly.

Euler is awesome.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-12-14, 7:39 AM #17
http://xkcd.com/c179.html

(A bit of language!)
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-12-14, 7:46 AM #18
http://www.google.com/search?q=e+to+the+%28pi+times+i%29

I'm not even going to try to understand that and just trust google.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-12-14, 8:04 AM #19
Originally posted by Impi:
http://www.google.com/search?q=e+to+the+%28pi+times+i%29

I'm not even going to try to understand that and just trust google.

Euler's Identity
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-12-14, 8:56 AM #20
You lost me at "imaginary number" but thanks to google I have a little understanding now.
2006-12-14, 8:58 AM #21
Originally posted by Martyn:

God bless Euler and his crazy functions :v:

BEULERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!