Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dr. Phil is a tool....
Dr. Phil is a tool....
2006-12-16, 10:31 AM #1
Just watch the irony as he tries to appeal to the moral majority while at the same making an *** of himself...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CNPvdsJS-qE
2006-12-16, 10:47 AM #2
Dr. Phil.

:psyduck:
2006-12-16, 10:55 AM #3
i love how he's dressed like Dr. Phil
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-12-16, 10:58 AM #4
i don't like the bumfights guy at all... but he spoke the truth about exploiting people's problems for money, they are both the same in a way and although paying 20 dollars for a homeless guy to get injured is pretty degrading so is Dr Phil in the way he talks to people on his show.

Rufus the Stunt bum, an army veteran along with Brennan army vet as well with 2 purple hearts are sober and received undiclosed payment from the creators when they made a lawsuit.

and yeah shaving his head to have dr phils horshoe was pretty classic in its own right
2006-12-16, 11:15 AM #5
That was the most painfully obvious grandstanding I've ever seen. I don't think there's any doubt that Dr. Phil invited him on the show just so he could kick him off. There's no way he hadn't seen the footage before the show.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-12-16, 11:31 AM #6
Indeed, it didn't come off as spontaneous at all. Especially since they already cut back to Dr. Phil before he said to stop the tape.
2006-12-16, 11:45 AM #7
Dr Phil. What a moron. Then again the bumfights dude doesn't seem too bright either. And the bumfights videos aren't even very funny.
>>untie shoes
2006-12-16, 12:04 PM #8
I don't think they're supposed to be 'funny'...
2006-12-16, 12:17 PM #9
I think bumfights is doing the dirty work to show people how desperate the ill fortuned can be. Dr. Phil on the other hand, is just a twit.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-12-16, 12:47 PM #10
I am sure he had seen this before and was actually prepared to talk to the guy, but he probably stood there staring at him while they were playing the video and just got more and more pissed off once he realized he was mocking his look.

Which I found to be extremely funny. :D
2006-12-16, 12:52 PM #11
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]I think bumfights is doing the dirty work to show people how desperate the ill fortuned can be. Dr. Phil on the other hand, is just a twit.[/QUOTE]

Sure, it shows people how desperate bums can be, but it's blatant exploitation. The guy is in it to make money. People bought Bum Fights to laugh at bums fighting each other and humilating themselves. Your trying to spin it into some kind of social experiment to educate people about the plight of the homeless is pathetic.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-16, 1:14 PM #12
Honestly, a lot of Dr. Phil's advice is good. But it usually doesn't work...any kind of counseling or therapy takes time, not a 15 minute appearance on TV. It's a quick fix and nothing else.

But he's still a t***. He got this guy on his show just so he could take the moral high ground.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-12-16, 1:57 PM #13
Originally posted by Avenger:
Sure, it shows people how desperate bums can be, but it's blatant exploitation. The guy is in it to make money. People bought Bum Fights to laugh at bums fighting each other and humilating themselves. Your trying to spin it into some kind of social experiment to educate people about the plight of the homeless is pathetic.

As Axis said, it's not supposed to be funny. The people that are buying it to laugh are much more pathetic than anything I can muster. Sorry to burst your bubble :downs:

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-12-16, 1:58 PM #14
Dr. Phil always seems to have some bizarre topics, but they also seem faked.

Ho hum.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-12-16, 2:03 PM #15
If they were "stopping the tape" it'd simply cut to the stage. The static screen was edited into the footage, and that idiot Dr. Phil invited that other idiot Dr. Bumfights onto his show so that he could look good.

Both of them are a waste of time.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-16, 3:20 PM #16
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]As Axis said, it's not supposed to be funny. The people that are buying it to laugh are much more pathetic than anything I can muster. Sorry to burst your bubble :downs:[/QUOTE]

Which is what percentage of people who buy them? The entire premise of Bum Fights is "Here, I'll give you money to fight that guy so I can film it and make myself rich." The intent was never to show the plight of the homeless. Yes, it does show how desperate the homeless can be, but if you think that's the primary reason for Bum Fights, you have a very skewed sense of reality.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-16, 3:34 PM #17
Originally posted by Avenger:
Which is what percentage of people who buy them? The entire premise of Bum Fights is "Here, I'll give you money to fight that guy so I can film it and make myself rich." The intent was never to show the plight of the homeless. Yes, it does show how desperate the homeless can be, but if you think that's the primary reason for Bum Fights, you have a very skewed sense of reality.

Because you know exactly what the intentions were. You also know every single person who buys it, and have seen everything the guy has put out since you're such an expert.

Thanks for proving my point though, that it shows the "plight of the homeless". That's what I was trying to get across, nothing more, then you jumped on me.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-12-16, 3:41 PM #18
Please, the guy had no intention of "showing the plight of the homeless" If he gave a crap about showing the plight of the homeless, he wouldn't be putting them in humilating positions for the sole purpose of making money for himself. If he actually gave a crap about the plaight of the homeless, it would be a documentry or he'd be giving his money to some sort of charity.

Claiming that people are buying Bum Fights to understand how desperate homeless people can be is absurd.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-16, 3:46 PM #19
Because everyone has to do something the exact same way as everyone else.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-12-16, 3:48 PM #20
It's exploitation. He's preying on homeless peopel to line his own pockets.

You can actually claim that the guy wanted to explore the desperation of homeless people and feel that they way he went about it was okay?

Maybe I'll go explore how horrible the working conditions are at a sweat shop some where in Asia by buying one and making lots of money by exploiting the workers.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-16, 4:02 PM #21
The only way I could see bum fights legitimately being used to show the plight of the homeless is if it were featured in a documentary that used bum fights as a specific example of homeless disparity. Even then, the producers of the film wouldn't be paying bums to fight for the film. They'd show reused footage, interview bum fighters, etc etc.
2006-12-16, 4:22 PM #22
I personally don't watch this stuff, but whatever.

Also, Avenger, you putting words into my mouth was a pretty big mistake. I never said that the reason bum fights exists is to show the desparity of the homeless. I said it was a possibility based on what little I've seen. Hence "I think". You, on the other hand, have seen it all and know every detail about it. Next time don't take what I say way out of context and get me mixed up in some crazy arguement, kay?

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-12-16, 4:26 PM #23
I don't know how you could confuse Bum Fights for some sort of homeless documentry. Hell, watching the clip in the OP sould be enough for anyone to figure that much out.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-16, 4:29 PM #24
Quote me where I said that.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-12-16, 4:40 PM #25
The clip that was put together by Dr. Phil and his team?

By establishing that Dr. Phil is manipulative scum we have to discount any evidence that his side has put together. We have to instead go to the source ourselves.

I have no doubt that you're right Avenge, but the evidence that we've seen so far could very easily have been taken out of context.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-12-16, 4:40 PM #26
i think the word 'plight' needs to be retired in this thread.
2006-12-16, 5:33 PM #27
I hate Dr. Phil and everything he represents. He's not a Dr. He's not even "Kind of a Doctor". He's a quack, a fraud, and exploits other people's problems for money.
This clip really sums it up. Also, it may be one of the only funny MadTV sketches ever.

-Their House one's pretty spot on, too.
2006-12-16, 5:53 PM #28
He has a doctorate in clinical psychology. That doesn't make him a docotor, but the title of Doctor is correct.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-16, 6:09 PM #29
Dr. Phil actually knows what he's talking about. He even gives real, solid advice. But that doesn't stop him from exploiting people at the same time.
2006-12-16, 6:16 PM #30
There you go. The problem is that he meets with people one time for a couple of hours and then moves on to the next show.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-16, 7:23 PM #31
Originally posted by Emon:
Dr. Phil actually knows what he's talking about. He even gives real, solid advice. But that doesn't stop him from exploiting people at the same time.

Heh, Dr. Phil could be worse too. He could be someone like ol' Jerry Springer, who only fanned the flames and nothing else.
2006-12-16, 11:44 PM #32
Dr. Phil was an ***.

He brings this man on his show, then won't even talk to him? Why the hell would be be brought on the show if Phil wasn't prepared to talk to him? Phil didn't even let the guy say one word. What a ****ing *******. I love the part later when he says "I refuse to publicize this" after he already did to millions of people. Bonus for saying "clearly it wasn't possible to hold a meaningful dialogue." WTF Phil! You didn't even try you ***!
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-12-17, 3:26 AM #33
Dr Phil said it himself in Scary Movie 3.

"I just tell people to get real."

Which is all he does. I find it disgusting that he is acting as a spokesman for Match.com or one of those dating websites. He's only in it to increase his reputation. Now and again, I've seen cases where he actually helps someone, such as that woman who supposedly lost 250lbs. Then again, I'm skeptical of nearly everything.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-12-17, 3:28 AM #34
I don't like Dr Phil.

Or Oprah.

I like Ellen though.

Ooh, and The View!
2006-12-17, 9:47 AM #35
I've been calling Dr. Phil a jackass, a nutbar, a douchebag, and a tool for years.

GET OFF OF MY TRAIN. :(
2006-12-17, 1:11 PM #36
I'm so glad to see there are still rational people in this world. My mom takes everything Dr. Phil says as if it were gospel. I've been saying what a tool he is since he first started appearing on Oprah.
2006-12-17, 4:46 PM #37
What I hate is that he's basically the john madded of head cases.

He states the obvious in a funny accent all while studdering.

I'll give you an example;

John Madden: "Nononnow if they make this pass that'll be a completed pass and a touch down. GoGotta make that pass to get the touch downn."

Dr. Phil: "Men and women are just wired differently. He has a penis, and you have a vagina. You have different needs. Men and women are different. You guys just have to find your compromise. Men and women are just different!"
2006-12-17, 4:55 PM #38
The only reason he gets any effect whatsoever is because of the marking procedure of the hubbub of being on TV. There's no way there could be any clinical effect of just being lectured at by some stranger for five minutes.
:master::master::master:
2006-12-17, 4:57 PM #39
Unless he berated already suicidal people and they killed themselves.
2006-12-17, 5:18 PM #40
Originally posted by Rob:
John Madden: "Nononnow if they make this pass that'll be a completed pass and a touch down. GoGotta make that pass to get the touch downn."

"Y-y-you need to see. Seeing is important, b-beca-ause uh, seein' is important, if ya can't see, th-then ya, t-then then th-then you don't know what you're lookin' at."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqN8v5pZC54

↑ Up to the top!