Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Graphics Tablets
Graphics Tablets
2006-12-18, 11:33 AM #1
Hey. I'm looking into buying a Wacom tablet, but I'm not sure what to get. I can probably only afford the graphire series (I'm not a professional artist or anything), and there seems to be a whole bunch of different sizes. I've lurked around a bit and I've noticed that some of you are artists - could someone recommend a good tablet?

Oh, and my username might be seem a bit strange, but I'm not a bot or anything (I tried a few names which were all taken so I just said 'screw it' and hit some random keys)
2006-12-18, 11:43 AM #2
Well, I have only ever used my 4x5 graphire, and it works fine for me, but from what I've heard many people prefer the larger sizes.
Aquapark - Untitled JK Arena Level - Prism CTF
2006-12-18, 11:47 AM #3
They aren't as worth it as pencil + scanner if you ask me.
2006-12-18, 11:49 AM #4
The first Massassi user name to be made by headbutting the keyboard. Cool.
2006-12-18, 12:03 PM #5
Looked more like nose typing to me.
2006-12-18, 12:09 PM #6
Intuos 3 is good, I like it. That is all aosfdosdfjsodgigisij9034
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-12-18, 12:18 PM #7
I'm going to call you keystroke.

I got a little 4x5, and I hate it. It doesn't have the sensativity I want, and I rarely use it. Some of my better inks are done with the mouse, so go figure.

My suggestion would be to REALLY save up the 2000 bucks for the one where you can draw directly on the screen. Honestly, the others don't really seem worth it, to me. I've heard, though, that the larger ones work a lot better than the smaller one I've got. I'd still really like the one with the screen. Seems it'd be the most natural to use.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-18, 12:29 PM #8
I have a 6x8 Intuos. Nice tablet. I should probably make it work with X.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2006-12-18, 12:49 PM #9
I have a 6x8 Graphire, and I would rather give away Echoman's left kidney than the tablet. I couldn't imagine using PS with a mouse only anymore.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-12-18, 12:52 PM #10
I don't like the 4x5, it's too small. 6x8 is much better.
2006-12-18, 12:56 PM #11
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I'm going to call you keystroke.

I got a little 4x5, and I hate it. It doesn't have the sensativity I want, and I rarely use it. Some of my better inks are done with the mouse, so go figure.

My suggestion would be to REALLY save up the 2000 bucks for the one where you can draw directly on the screen. Honestly, the others don't really seem worth it, to me. I've heard, though, that the larger ones work a lot better than the smaller one I've got. I'd still really like the one with the screen. Seems it'd be the most natural to use.

He mentioned that he wasn't professional. Saving 2000$ for something like that would be completely crazy. A normal graphics tablet is more than fine for any decent learning artist, you just got to over come old habits (like turning paper around when drawing) and get used to staring at the screen while drawing. The "learning" curve might be a be steep but its well worth the results in the end.

But I agree that 4x5 is way too small. Its like drawing on a freakin' post-it paper. I have a 6x8 and its totally awesome. Additionally, the pen on my intuos 3 tablet is really comfy and some of the smaller features like touch pads on the tablet make a fun and useful addition.

I'd say the key to using a tablet successfully is how you sit. If you're all slouched and got both elbows spread wide on the desk, it might be a bit rough, or if you are trying to draw while leaning to a side you'll end up drawing crooked.
2006-12-18, 1:23 PM #12
I actually miss the texture of paper and pencil myself. :p
2006-12-18, 1:33 PM #13
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]I actually miss the texture of paper and pencil myself. :p[/QUOTE]

I still draw on paper all the time, its just not the same to draw on screen than off. For the majority of my work I'll usually make a detailed sketch on paper, scan it at whatever resolution I need and then draw cleanly over it with the tablet. Time consuming but I like it that way.
2006-12-18, 1:42 PM #14
I concur with the suggestion of a 6x8 Graphire. I have one, excellent product. I used MBeggar's old 4x5 one a couple years ago, and it was way too sensitive.

Oh, Jep, you should try using your tablet with a piece of paper between the tablet and the pen. It will probably wear the pen nibs faster, but might get you the feel you like.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-12-18, 1:50 PM #15
Emon, thats a good idea. I actually liked it when tried tracing a sketch I had made on paper with it. The only downfall to that attempt is pretty much that moving the paper even by a millimeter will show on your drawing's proportions.
2006-12-18, 2:08 PM #16
So tape it. Use some hefty cardstock actually, it'll be more durable.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-12-18, 2:33 PM #17
yes, my wacom got misplaced ;_;

i think one of the evil labbies took it.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-12-18, 3:43 PM #18
I have an absolutely ancient wacom, just 4x5, and I still use it. It retains it's awesomeness after eight years of obsoletism!
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-12-18, 7:24 PM #19
I have a 4x5 Graphire, and I love it. I draw small to begin with, so the small size doesn't bother me. The key is to start with a large canvas (1600x1200 or greater) and zoom way in.

That being said, I still wouldn't mind trading up for a 6x8.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-12-18, 7:29 PM #20
I have a graphire3 (I don't remember the dimensions at the moment) and it is great. I use it in PS in WinXP and in kubuntu as well.
2006-12-19, 12:18 AM #21
I have a graphire3 8x6 as well, it's wonderful, simple, useful, etc.
2006-12-19, 5:08 AM #22
I have a 6x8 Intuos3, and it's lovely. Precise, not too sensitive, and doubles as a mousepad.

Though I really want a Cintiq, but I don't think Santa's got a spare 2000 dollars.

↑ Up to the top!